VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this drive, and bought some memorex DVD-DL discs for it. They were not acknowledged by the drive. Does anyone know of discs that are compatible with this drive? thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MEMOREX DL DISCS are crappy. For DL discs use only VERBATIM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the latest firmware?

What budz said is right, but the drive should still "see" the discs.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R-DL disks rarely work. Buy only DVD+R-DL and Verbatim do work best.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    People who buy ANYTHING for DL media except Verbatim DVD+R DL discs post here asking why their burns fail. By the way, Memorex discs are bar none the crappiest DVD discs I have ever bought. I bought a 25 pack some years ago before I learned better. You might be interested in
    http://www.nomorecoasters.com
    which talks about DVD blank media quality. Memorex doesn't make the worst discs on the planet, but they are still pretty bad and still the worst I ever bought.

If you must use DVD-R DL, only buy Verbatim and do note that the only program I know of that can correctly write to them is ImgBurn. DVD-R DL must be burned with special settings specific to the format. You have to manually set the layer break point whereas DVD+R DL allows for some flexibility in seting the layer break. ImgBurn has a setting that in theory might work to manually detect the proper layer break point for DVD-R DL discs, but I have never used it. I bought a 3 pack of DVD-R DL discs a couple of years ago and never bought any more. My DVD player (Philips DVP-642) didn't like the discs at all and they were also expensive and a pain to burn because of the special settings necessary, so I only use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks to everyone who replied to my post I did buy some TDK DVD-R DL discs, and they kick royal butt! Nooo problems with them. Dual Layer RULES!! I love it! I am sure the compressed space will cause for some rather fragile discs, meaning i will protect them by keeping them in the jewel cases. I'll refrain from buying Memorex ones again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. Four of us responded, 3 of us told you to buy Verbatim, NOBODY told you to buy TDK, and what did you do? You bought TDK. Glad to know our advice was so helpful to you. Did you at least burn with ImgBurn or did you ignore that too?

Let us know if 1-2 years if your TDK DVR-R DL discs are still playable. TDK has become rather infamous for their USA sold media in that they now outsource it to some of the worst and cheapest manufacturers there are.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, in snafubaby's defense, I have some one-year-and-a-half-old TDK DL discs that play just fine.

In my own defense, I was still pretty ignorant when I bought them and had no idea about the future playability of non-Verbatim discs. They were actually THE first DL discs I ever bought.

I've now learned better after doing some studying.

So, now that I've defended snafubaby, I find that I must ask basically the same question jman98 did. Why, when this area of the forum is full - and I mean damned full - of people recommending Verbatim discs, did you go buy TDKs? I know they used to make some good cassette tapes, but that doesn't translate into good DVD DL media.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dadrab
    Well, in snafubaby's defense, I have some one-year-and-a-half-old TDK DL discs that play just fine.
    One and half+ years ago, TDK used to use very high quality manufacturers for their media, including Taiyo Yuden, so I'm not surprised at all. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, TDK now outsources their media to very cheap, poor quality manufacturers (well, that's for the US/Canadian market - there's some evidence that they may still use Taiyo Yuden for the Japanese market) these days, so they aren't recommended.

Who knows? The original poster may have gotten lucky with some old stock of good TDK media or perhaps the discs are OK now, but won't be in a few years.
    Quote Quote