VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,
    Hear me out before bashing DVDFab...
    I noticed that (though it takes my computer 12 hours to render) I love how this app does 2-pass, full 1080p at (if you want) an absurdly high bit rate and can include every subtitle and audio stream, losslessy.
    However, (here's the perfectionist in me) it can't render to High 4.1; only 4.0 ... don't flame me for such an obsessive-compulsive trait.
    Is there any app, be it freeware or not, that can do all of the above AND render to 4.1 or heck, even higher?
    Again, don't judge me
    Thanks for your time,
    tarf
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    When you rip why do you need to transcode?

For the perfectionist, just rip it to your hard disk!

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    When you rip why do you need to transcode?

For the perfectionist, just rip it to your hard disk!

That's always a possibility, though I was trying to save at least (some) HD space, lol
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    BD Rebuilder outputs at 4.1 level. And it is possible to keep HD audio and all subtitle streams. There are no controls to specify a particular bitrate, but if you set it to a two pass encode at Highest (Very Slow) setting, it should match or surpass anything from DVDFab. There are also some hidden controls that allow slower speeds, but I wouldn't advise using them.

BD Rebuilder is free to use, but you need to start with unencrypted video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    BD Rebuilder outputs at 4.1 level. And it is possible to keep HD audio and all subtitle streams. There are no controls to specify a particular bitrate, but if you set it to a two pass encode at Highest (Very Slow) setting, it should match or surpass anything from DVDFab. There are also some hidden controls that allow slower speeds, but I wouldn't advise using them.

That sounds excellent. I'll check it out. Thanks so much
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hm. Okay, I *think* (but won't be sure until it's done rendering) that I set it for all tracks and subtitles; lossless. However, I stumbled upon the config file and it's a bit cryptic. Again, I think I set it properly but to be certain, might you know how to essentially say, "I don't care how slow you go, please use the highest quality 4.1 2-pass"?
    Thanks again

Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uh... riiight. No. What I wanted to do was, as mentioned, keep all audio streams as lossless as possible and keep all subtitles, as well as the highest quality 2-pass encoding, regardless of how long it takes. Furthermore, preferably without any funky filters, denoising, color enhancement/changes, clipping, etc.
    However, it looks like (naturally I don't know what I did wrong) it didn't rip to, say a MP4 or MKV. It looks like all it did was copy it. Essentially it looks like it took my decrypted BD and copied it to a different directory 0_o
    What am I missing here? I meant to reencode the video portion :/ ... that is to say, create a rip, not a copy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You're misusing the term rip. Ripping is moving the contents of a disc to the hard drive. If you want to convert a Blu-ray to MP4 or MKV that is a different matter entirely.

BD Rebuilder's main purpose is to compress a Blu-ray movie to a smaller size, but still in Blu-ray format. The default output is meant to fit onto a single layer BD disc. Since the vast majority of commercial Blu-ray movies are released on double layer discs, this means there is a fair amount of compression applied. Average size is over 30gb originally, and BD Rebuilder reduces this to approximately 23gb.

It is possible to use BD Rebuilder to output to MP4 or MKV, but it would not be my first choice for this type of conversion. I use VidCoder to make MKV files. I never make MP4 files, but it is possible with VidCoder. If you want 4.1 video in an MKV/MP4, at a much smaller size, I'd suggest starting with the High Profile preset. Change the framerate from Variable to Constant in the Video tab of the Settings. I'd also suggest using the Constant Quality setting (20 for Blu ray original material is ok) instead of doing a two pass encode. If you absolutely have to use a two pass encode, set a Target Size instead of using Constant Quality, and specify a two pass encode.

Then adjust the audio to pass through the original audio. You'll find the control for that next to Codec in the Audio tab. HD audio is huge so make sure that the overall size of your MP4 or MKV allows for this. If you are keeping the original audio the overall size of the file should probably be over 10gb, and I personally would go to a much larger size.

Subtitles can be kept if you wish also.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah. Thanks for the reply. Okay, my next step will be to check out your advice. I appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BINGO! All turned out well after tweaking BD Rebuilder for the properly. I didn't even need to check out the other app, though I will. Thanks again all
    Quote Quote