VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 7 with my Canon HF-10. The HF-10 is a high definition cam that I'm currently using at its highest resolution (1920x1080i I think), which is natively widescreen. I have a 16:9 LCD television.

The first thing I did when I got the camera was put some raw clips on my HDD and used Nero Vision to make both a dvd and an avchd dvd. Both of these played in my ps3 and the dvd was the only one that played in my HDDVD player. I changed no default settings in Nero. Both discs created images that occupied the entire screen. I hesitate to call this fullscreen, because the tv is widescreen.

So, I attempted to do the same thing in Adobe Premier Elements 7. The final product was a dvd that played with really heavy black bars on the top and bottom of my television. No settings on the tv or players would fix it. With the same settings that I used to play the Nero disc, my HDDVD player actually put black bars on the sides too. I had to play with the settings to get it to stop doing that and only give me HEAVY black bars on the top and bottom. I should also mention that even the upconverted final product was a lot blurrier than I had expected, but I don't know if that's just the way it is. This wasn't the case with the AVCHD DVD.

The project I'm going to work on soon requires the final product to be fullscreen, or at least in the aspect ratio that would cover the entire screen of a widescreen television (or nearly the entire screen). It will be a DVD, not AVCHD DVD. I'm not sure which presets I should be using to create the desired final product, and if there's any setting that I should change during editing and right before the burn. I also want to maximize the quality of the final product. I have tried to change the option (right before burning) to NTSC_Dolby DVD and also NTSC_Widescreen DVD. I've also tried a few of the initial presets upon loading, but I haven't messed with that so much because I don't want to lose quality by choosing the wrong thing. I have no idea which is the right one, but I figured that the AVCHD FULL HD 1080i is the right option (though maybe overkill), because it seems to match the quality of the raw footage that I've captured. Can anyone help me choose the correct settings for this project. Should I be shooting in a lesser quality resolution? I don't think the camera has a fullscreen option (or at least I can't find it).

I guess I should also mention that the editing is a bit choppy, too, so if there's some setting in the camera or the editing program which could reduce the choppiness, but not affect the final product (on a standard def. DVD) that would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to set your project to be 16:9, and export the video as 16:9. Finally, when authoring, you hvae to author the disc as a 16:9 disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1. Thanks, but where are these settings? From what I gather, this is how I do have it set up. It does sound that way from the settings I mentioned, right?

2. Why would I be exporting the video rather than just burn the project? How do I do that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Adobe Premiere Elements 11:

Go to "Edit > Project (properties) > General.."

Here you can see all your preferences and stuff, so keep this window open somehow, or remember the information.

And with this information in mind, click the "PUBLISH+SHARE" button on the right corner.
    - and make sure you export with the same project information as you've just seen in the properties.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote