VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont know where to put this topic or if this is even the right forum to put it in. Anyway, basically I have colors running across my TV as if a magnet was put on it. How can I tell if the shadowmask is permanently magentized or not? It doesnt have a degauss function so lately Ive been doing power cycles and trying to move the colors away with another magnet. If the problem is with the shadowmask, i dont really want to waste anymore time with the tv.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The TV probably has a degausser built in that is not working. A permanent magnet brought near the screen will probably just make it worse. Probably time for a new TV as repairs these days are pricey. You could try using a bulk tape eraser on the screen (With set turned off), though I have no idea if that would cause any damage to the set. A tape eraser should perform a similar function to the degausser.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can hear the internal degausser working. I just wanted to know if its worth repairing since if the shadowmask is permantly magentized, then there's no point in repairing it. But if its only a matter of degaussing, it'd be easier to do.
    Quote Quote