VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have several videos that I have taken with my Samsung HMX10 HD camcorder which records in HD 720 @ 100fps
    I`m looking for a batch converter that I could start and let it convert all videos during the night.

I currently use Vegas Video Studio pro and using DVDflick for authoring my DVD`s

My question is what is the best format to convert MP4 to and what software does this with batch converting...

since DVD uses MPEG formats, is it better to convert from MP4 to MPEG1 or 2 ? or MP4 to AVI, then MPEG1-2?

I currently have 25 videos of different lenght, totaling 16Gb. I want to convet theses to MPEG and have them fit to an 8GB DL DVD media.

Thanks for any input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You gonna use, obviously, mpeg 2 for DVD.
    There are many ways to batch convert mp4 to mpeg 2. The easiest (not best) is by using the Super Encoder.
    Just drop your files, set the settings and hit "encode".

Regarding the final size, this has to do with the bitrate you gonna use and the overall length of your material.

On a DVD9, the best quality is only 2 hours! Standard quality, is about 4 hours.

You can do some calculations here: https://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

And since you are from Canada, I believe that you wish to use NTSC for your DVDs. So, I suggest 720X480 framesize, 29.97fps, with a bitrate around 6.000kb - 7.000kb. About 3.00 - 3.30 hours per DVD that way, with good quality.

For authoring you can use your usual program.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok, thanks but what application can I use to do the batch convert?

Correction, the video formats are AVC, 1280x720 @ 59.940 fps
    The audio is 128Kbits AAC version 4
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try WinFF. It does a fine job of converting MP4 to DVD and batch converts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go for quality, not convenience. If your videos have any value (sentimental or otherwise), you're not going to be happy with the results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you doing video editing? You could use a lossless codec like Cineform.

I'm not familiar with all flavours of Vegas but if yours is what I think it is, you should have MCE built-in. MCE is decent if you bump up all the encoding specs (multi-pass, avg/min 6-7Kbps bitrate, ultra/mastering quality encode, and other goodies). Problem is the built-in MCE doesn't give all encoding options like the stand-alone MCE encoder. Another method is to push the bitrates even higher and use a transcoder (eg. DVD Shrink) to shrink it down to a DVD9.

I do have AVS but haven't used it for MPEG2 encoding as I believe it (and its brethren like WinFF, SUPER, Xvid4PSP) shine as .avi encoders but not MPEG2 encoders.

If you don't need to edit the video or have the Cineform intermediate, I suggest dedicated MPEG2 encoders. TMPGEnc for starters, or CCE, or even Procoder (<-which is what I use). All of these can be batched. You can join the vids later while you author the DVD.

BTW, the encodes will take longer than a night. However, just keep your computer on longer, that's all. A little upfront pain but you'll be happy with the results long after.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Super for start and do some tests.
    I'm surprised of how many people are really satisfied with the results.

Of course,you gonna keep the original files for later use, right?
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote