VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i have a very strange issue. Whenever I play a mkvs I own from blu rays. I get just the music and no voices. They play fine in smplayer. But this problem is bugging me it has for a while. With vlc media player it sounds like rumbing noises like total background music. I don't hear. These worked before. I tried a mpeg capture of mine and it plays normal and perfect on vlc media player. I removed and reinstalled vlc media player many times from 2.1.5 to nighty verison and no fix at all. So I know its not the sound plug on my mother board since mpeg plays with voices. I use no codec packs. I just have haali and ffdshow installed nothing else. Any help would be great. For example in frozen when the trolls sing I can hear it just fine. But the talking normal is extremely low cannot hear what there saying.

I'm using windows 7 64bit
    Last edited by Wizard23; 26th Sep 2014 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't use VLC but it sounds to me like you're playing 5.1ch audio, however it's not being downmixed to stereo on playback. I had a quick look and couldn't see a downmixing option in VLC so maybe it relies on your soundcard to downmix. You might need to check that your soundcard is configured for stereo output and your PC speakers are connected to the correct output. The voices tend to be mostly in the centre channel so if it's not being downmixed you probably wouldn't hear them. When the audio is stereo the voices would be in the left and right channels.

You could try MPC-HC/ffdshow as a test. There's a portable version so you don't need to install it. Run MPC-HC and go to View/Options/Internal Filters. Under Transform filters on the left, de-select all the common audio types (AC3, DTS, AAC etc) Open an MKV. ffdshow should (hopefully) run to decode the audio. Enable it's mixer filter and set it for stereo output. What's that like? You can also isolate individual channels by enabling the volume filter, so you might be able to determine what you're hearing that way. If you can't get ffdshow to work, click on the Audio Decoder button in MPC-HC's Internal Filters setup. It has options for downmixing to stereo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I did try your steps. It didn't work but I did remove the sound drivers and I reinstalled them. I did reboot my computer. So now when i checked the sound program from my sound driver it now plays normal.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    Hi i have a very strange issue. Whenever I play a mkvs I own from blu rays. I get just the music and no voices. They play fine in smplayer. But this problem is bugging me it has for a while. With vlc media player it sounds like rumbing noises like total background music. I don't hear. These worked before. I tried a mpeg capture of mine and it plays normal and perfect on vlc media player. I removed and reinstalled vlc media player many times from 2.1.5 to nighty verison and no fix at all. So I know its not the sound plug on my mother board since mpeg plays with voices. I use no codec packs. I just have haali and ffdshow installed nothing else. Any help would be great. For example in frozen when the trolls sing I can hear it just fine. But the talking normal is extremely low cannot hear what there saying.

I'm using windows 7 64bit
    Why do you use VLC player? It is consedered a very backward player by modern standards.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am hard of hearing and vlc has the boost volume better than other players. Yes i know about mpc-hc and vso player. I use all 3 and I just like vlc media player with the huge volume boost. I have the other players boost up but Its not like vlc media player.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!