VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am clueless about this. First I have to upload the video & sound from the vcr to my PB G4. How do i do this? what kinds of video sound input output devices do I need?

Then which applications will I be using? I don't have Dvd studio pro and have to do without it.

i've looked in the archives, but can't make sense of the posts there. Can someone help to maybe get me started?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The regulars haven't replied yet, so I'll get you started. None of this is meant to be exhaustive, just some tracks to get you running & doing some research. There are probably lots of ways to do this; I'm describing one of them.

To get the VHS video into your PowerBook, you'll need an analog-to-digital (A-D) converter. There are a number of stand-alone A-D converters, but I like the Canopus ADVC-100. Its A-D conversion is very good, and it's completely hassle-free. Some digital camcorders also have a "pass-through" feature that allows A-D conversion, though they normally don't advertise this prominently if at all.

Connect your VHS player to the A-D converter, then connect the converter to your Mac. In the case of the ADVC-100, you'd connect to the Firewire port. On the Mac, fire up iMovie. If everything is turned on & connected properly, iMovie will show a blue screen with the "Camera Connected" message. Click the "Import" button in iMovie, then turn on your VHS player. Assuming you have enough hard disk space, iMovie will proceed to capture your video.

Once you've captured the video, you can edit it as needed in iMovie, then author your DVD in iDVD. There are numerous tutorials for doing this, so I won't try to repeat them here.

While you can use DVD Studio Pro, many of us get by with more modest tools. For example, after editing a captured video in iMovie, I export it to a QuickTime .mov, then use ffmpegX to create DVD-compliant video .m1v and audio .mp2 files from the .mov. The wonderful freeware application Sizzle will allow you to "author" the files into a DVD image that can be burned to DVD. I've only used Toast to burn these images to DVD, but assume you could also use Apple's built-in DVD burning capabilities.

Galactica has some good tutorials on creating DVDs, including how to use Sizzle. Check this forum for a link to his website. Hope this gets you started.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey promoter,

Thank you so much for that info. So i have to first get a analog-digital converter it seems; the cheapest price i've come up with on the net for an ADVC-100 is $231. Will the ADVC-50 which is $189 also do the trick? And do these converters come with the connectors, wires, firewire connector etc. which will allow the device to plug into the firewire port into my lap top from the device as well as connectors that will input audio video from my vcr into the analog-digital convertor device? It's a pretty stiff price to pay still!

After I have imported the video into imovie, I can convert the video into Quicktime.mov format? and from there demux the .mov using ffmpegX into the video and audio components only to author these, mux them, using Sizzle? Do i follow you? When I have imported the video into imovie, is it already a .mov file or do I have to do something else?

I have ffmpegX and Sizzle and have used both these before, so the biggest hurdle seems to me to shovle out the ~$250 to but the analog-digital device? I don't have a very thick wallet except if you count the plastic, but i guess i'll have to endure some pain if i want this to happen, huh?
    Thanks again for your generosity in passing on this great info.
    Regards,

T
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can also use iDVD in combination with iMovie...Very easy to make DVD with those 2 and results are more then satisfying...Still, You need AD converter as promoter said to get Your VHS movies onto Your Mac..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Gracias. When I get to that point. i will inquire how. 1st things 1st though-- to buy the convertor. what else is this convertor good for? can it also be used with camcorders? but I guess those videos are probably already digital-- at least the newer ones. i am just wondering if it's worth it to purchase a convertor if it's use will be just for this one conversion i'd like to do for now. ... just thinking outloud i guess.

Thanks,

t.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tab75-13
    Ok. Gracias. When I get to that point. i will inquire how. 1st things 1st though-- to buy the convertor. what else is this convertor good for? can it also be used with camcorders? but I guess those videos are probably already digital-- at least the newer ones. i am just wondering if it's worth it to purchase a convertor if it's use will be just for this one conversion i'd like to do for now. ... just thinking outloud i guess.

Thanks,

t.
    Hi tab75-13,

If memory serves me, the ADVC-50 should do just fine. I think the -50 only does analog-to-digital, while the -100 also does digital-to-analog, allowing you to copy your edited video from the Mac back to an analog tape. The ADVC-100 also has (had?) an undocumented Macrovision defeat feature, useful if you're trying to save your commercial VHS tapes to DVD. There's a description of the Macrovision feature in a review of the ADVC-100 I read at Guy Graphics <http://www.guygraphics.com>.

The converter is pretty much a one-trick pony. It will convert any analog source to digital, so the quality of the converter's codec will largely determine how good your capture is. I'm just a hobbyist & haven't compared the output from different A-D converters, but the reviews I read said the Canopus was very good. If you still have an analog camcorder, you can connect it to the A-D converter to import into iMovie. You're correct that you can record straight from most digital camcorders into iMovie if they're supported; some aren't. I think Apple had a compatibility list on their website, but I'm not sure if it's current.

As Serbian said, capturing & editing in iMovie, and then authoring in iDVD, is a simple route to a high-quality DVD. Sizzle & ffmpegX (or Serbian's own, highly regarded MPEG2Works) will allow you more flexibility, for example if you wanted to encode at a lower bit rate to fit more on a disk. Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by tab75-13
    And do these converters come with the connectors, wires, firewire connector etc. which will allow the device to plug into the firewire port into my lap top from the device as well as connectors that will input audio video from my vcr into the analog-digital convertor device? It's a pretty stiff price to pay still!
    T
    Missed this in my last post. The converter should come with the cables you need. The ADVC-100 has both RCA (composite?) and S-Video analog input ports, so you can use whichever you like. The digital connection to your Mac is via a standard Firewire cable, 6-pin on the Mac side (the ADVC-100 has both 4- and 6-pin Firewire ports and can accept either).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the Canopus ADVC-55 and it was terrific (no AC adapter!). I sold it after getting my Pioneer standalone DVD recorder that exports as well as imports DV via Firewire.

I've also read very good comments for the Miglia Director's Cut Take 2 which is similar to the ADVC-55 except it works both directions.

The ADVC-100 is a standard bearer but these others are reasonable alternatives. Naturally, if you're thinking of getting a DV camcorder it may make sense to apply the money you were going to spend on the Canopus toward a camcorder with video pass-through.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the Datavideo dac-100 is functionally identical to the Canopus ADVC-100, and costs $179 here: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=763755

dk
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see also the ADS/Pyro device...very easy (one button) to use and great results converting analog from Tivo =>G5 with iMovie, edit, then click on the iDVD Project button and add chapters then click on iDVD and select the menu template you want and make a really slick final dvd.

After I record my material to iMovie I start a new iMovie project then quit iMovie saving the template and folders. Then in Finder, I drag a clip from my recorded material into the clip window of the blank project. This will copy the whole clip. Then I edit the clip to about 15-30 seconds and Share as a Quick Time movie. I use that as an animated clip on the iDVD template which makes a really cool menu clip. I like the Montage theme in iDVD.

Both iMovie and iDVD are part of the iLife package which also includes iTunes and Garage Band and only costs around $50 US.

Your friends will be astounded at what you can do.
    Merlin Macuser
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DK, do you think the dac-100 would come with the necessary cables as promoter states that the ADVC-100 would, or would these have to be puchased separately? having seen the product decription, i saw no mention of cables, so i am unclear as to their accompaniment with the convertor.

Merlin Macuser,
    Hi,
    Which ADS/ Pyro device were you thinking of? Could you be more specific, please? BTW I am not doing a TiVo conversion, just a vhs: i assume you're clear on that. I am utterly a novice on this stuff so lack the vocab for it. Also if the device you had in mind can do the same things as the ADVC-100 and the dac-100, what's its bottom line, if you don't mind me asking? The expenditure is a big factor unfortunately for me in this.
    Thanks again to all who've contributed to this thread.
    Best regards,

T
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if there is a model number but the name is just ADS/ Pyro A/V link. If memory serves it cost ~$150 US through the ADS web store. It has RCA (L-R-V) and S-Video inputs on the front panel and component, coax and Firewire outputs on the back panel. It has a small AC transformer brick. Te buttton on the front panel lets you select digital vs analog input.

I use it to transfer non-copyright VHS tapes to my G5 too. The Tivo idea was just an example to let you know how useful it is.

Other ideas to consider...rent or borrow a video camera for a weekend. Make sure it has firewire output.

Another idea would be to have a service bureau convert this tape for you. This alternative is probably cheaper than investing in hardware for a one-time project. Look in your phone book for Service Bureau or Video Conversion.

Another idea is to look into an internal video capture card with analog inputs for your computer. You may be able to get one cheap on eBay depending on the model of your computer.
    Merlin Macuser
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Merlin Macuser has enjoyed good results with his ADS Pyro. When I was considering this device I read user comments at the links provided at this ADS site:
    http://adstech.com/support/Resources/Resources.asp?productId=API-550&productName=PYRO%20A/V%20Link
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Macworld article reviews bridges (converters):
    http://www.macworld.com/2004/07/reviews/firewiredigitalvideoconverters/

"Macworld's Buying Advice

In spite of the Pyro A/V Link's stronger audio capture and component video in, we prefer the DAC-100. Due to its excellent video quality and reasonable price, most users will find the DAC-100 to be the best overall value. We like the ADVC55 for its picture quality, but because it can't export video back to analog, its price is hard to justify."

regarding cables,
    "All of these boxes come with FireWire cables, and all but the ADVC55 come with A/V (composite video and audio) and S-Video cables. Only the DAC-100 has two six-pin FireWire ports so you can use it as a DV repeater (a small piece of hardware that lets you join two FireWire cables). The A/V Link has a six-pin and a four-pin FireWire port, as well as component video in and locked audio (but you won't have a problem keeping audio and video in sync with any of these units)."

dk
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also consider a hardware MPEG2 encoder like the ADS Instant DVD for Mac or the Elgato EyeTV200. MPEG2 encoding can take many hours, so a hardware device can be a real timesaver if your doing a lot.
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    aaah, a thread I can relate to!

I own the Canopus advc-100 box, and its worth its weight in price.
    It comes with the standard s-VHS converter cable,
    and a standard ( single jack) RCA cable for video,
    to connect the box to your VCR.

My FW cable i got with my Dual G4 ( the 6 pin to 4pin silver
    braided one) is the one I use to connect the box to my
    G4 .

I then went out and bought gold shielded RCA Y Audio cables
    from Radio shack. cost $13.00, but it insures my audio from
    VCR to Box is good. A standard grey pair of RCA cables
    would just do the same thing, but I didn't have any
    extras at the time around the house.

So basically, unless you have extra RCA cables for your audio,
    and even then depending on your VCR
    (like mine needing a Y rather than X cable),
    you 'll have to make a trip
    to radio shack, Wal-mart, for a cable.

Now that being said, here's some of the things i've done
    using my Canopus ADVC-100:

Recorded TV shows from Tape
    Recored live TV from Digital Cable
    Recorded back to tape ( camera) to store footage
    Recored in music from Digital music channels to make Audio CDs

So, just to give you an idea, there's lots you can do with the
    box, and it (can) pay for itself in the long run (or be
    worth its weight, if you never charge for the amazing things
    you can do with it).
    but for a one time conversion, you should look into a
    Videography Studio. Around here, they charge $10
    per minute to transfer VHS to DVD.
    So for a hour tape, that's $60.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you could buy the converter then charge people $50/hr to transfer THEIR tapes, and pay for your bridge in a few hours' time...

Quote Quote  
  18. I have the ADS Pyro/AV which cost me about $150. It's ok, but I would like to get better. I've heard some good things about the Canopus. Oh, btw, I'm new. Hello.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary and ....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, sirN.
    You could sell your ADS on ebay,
    and put towards a canopus, is
    what I would suggest.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thanks Terry. I was actually thinking that. I just pulled out my Macworld June 04 and read the reviews on them. Guess I should have read it before I bought!
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary and ....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj

...Around here, they charge $10
    per minute to transfer VHS to DVD.
    So for a hour tape, that's $60.
    $10 per minute X 60 minutes = $600
    $ 1 per minute X 60 minutes = $ 60

Merlin Macuser
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i wondered about that myself. i assume terryj means $1/min =$60 for 60 min tape.

Well, I am seriously thinking about the dac-100. i found it at shipdog.com for even less than the price quoted by DK. Still, around $172 + shipping. That's a lot for my budget. But if the dac can do everything that terryj says his Canopus does for him, as suggested by DK, like the Canopus, it should also pay for itself I guess. (i can't wait to try to record live tv shows, hopefully) i haven't hit the final click yet for shipdog to bill to one of my several (unfortunately) rectangular pieces of plastics, but i think I may before too long.

Thanks again to all,
    Best,
    tab
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by tab75-13
    i wondered about that myself. i assume terryj means $1/min =$60 for 60 min tape.

Well, I am seriously thinking about the dac-100.
    Best,
    tab
    I do not know why people bother with a converter when you can use any old Mini DV or Digital 8 camera to do the conversion AND have a camera to boot. You can find them used on eBay for cheap. Like this one
    Keeper of the "Unofficial" iMovie FAQ also for the lastest iMovie news click here
    Your source for iMovie answers and what not! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dan,

you make a good point. however, the thing with DV cams is
    1. many don't list that they can do the pass-thru digitizing as a feature, and
    2. most cost more than $175

i'd love to see a complete list of DV cams that can do pass-thru converting. anyone have that?

dk
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would too, dan, if available.

thanks,

tab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found this via a google search:

http://p200.ezboard.com/funofficialsonyfrm41.showPrevMessage?topicID=24.topic

"The models ending in 10 or 15 can play analog tapes but don't have the pass-thru mode. The models with the middle digit of 2 or 3 can play analog tapes plus have pass thru mode except the the TRV130. So any of these are media converters plus you get a digital camcorder for $150 - $300 extra."

HTH... now off to search ebay...

dk
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I rceived my dac-100 today. (thanks to all for helping me get to this point, foremost DK: Thanks.) I hope I 've made the right decision.
    I then proceded to import the vhs into iMovie. I am attempting to make a dvd using the idvd button in iMovie 3. When I played back the video which is 1:08 hr long, I here the tic tic of a projector running and the audio of the tape is barely audible. Has this happened to anyone? Did I do something wrong while importing the video; I'm not sure where the sound effect of a projector running a 16mm came from except if there's something wrong with the video. The video played fine, however, on tv; BTW I imported the tape in iMovie at the same time as the video played on tv, but I am not sure if that's the cause. Your help would be much appreciated again.

BTW, also, while imovie created around 8 clips of 1.9G each, it created a .mov file of around 512 kb. That's probably a separate issue, but I had thought that iMovie would create a Quicktime .mov file for the duration of the 1:08 hr long movie. The 512 kb obviously is not that hoped for .mov file. I would just ultimately like to be able to create a dvd to fit on a dvd-r disk. If i have dvd2onex, will that figure in somehow.

these are quite a few questions. 1st things 1st, though. Where did this projector sound I am experiencing come from possibly? And where could my audio possibly have so diminished to the point of inadudibility.

Thanks for bearing with me; need to cross another super hwy though and am need of more guidance.
    Best,
    tab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've not used iMovie, so i don't know about the sound issues.

the 512k file probably just holds pointers to all the larger data files.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tab75-13
    Where did this projector sound I am experiencing come from possibly? And where could my audio possibly have so diminished to the point of inadudibility.
    First off, the small .mov file in your iMovie Project folder is known as the reference file. It is the road map to everything you did to your final edited movie.

I have iMovie 4 but I'm assuming the following is the same in iMovie 3. When you click the iDVD button in iMovie you are given the opportunity to create your chapter markers and to send your iMovie to iDVD. After clicking to send to iDVD the movie shows up as a title in the iDVD Title menu. My guess is the iDVD Title menu that is your default is the one with the animated 16 mm projector and the projector sound. This isn't the movie; it is just the Title menu just like the one you see when you play a commercial DVD. From this menu you select the movie to play. Your DVD player may automatically start playing the movie without first showing the Title menu. You always can access the Title menu by clicking the main menu or title menu button on your remote control.

So don't worry about the projector and sound in iDVD. You can change it to a different Title background if you want (see the options on the left).

I recommend you run the iMovie and iDVD tutorials to get more comfortable with how these applications work together.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I got rid of the projector sound. I reimported to iMovie having reconnected the audio RCA wire and I did not get the tic tic sound again. But the audio continues to be not as loud as I think it should be. I've checked the computer's audio from a downloaded file, and it's way louder than what I am obtaining from the import into imovie. Using the dac-100, I had encoded audio in 12 bit though I am not sure what that means. Should I encode using 16 bit, obviously having to reimport the video and getting rid of my existing project?

Thank you.

tab
    Quote Quote