VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, I've read almost every forum on this problem and have tried everything. Updated drivers in the PS2(went and bought the new DVD remote with the disk to update the driver to 2.12), used Nero 6.0(following the guide on this site), and even cleaned the laser eye (somebody said it might be dirty)and the problem still exists. Whenever I playback a DVD-R burned in DVD-Video format it skips or freezes momentarily. If anyone has another solution let me know. If I buy a Mod-Chip will it stop then, is that my o nly solution, please, HELP!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you switch to a different media ,are you using cheap discs, you arent being specific??? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
    Quote Quote  
  3. mod-chip is for games, not movies. ps2 doesnt need a modchip to read dvdr unless its games.

and it sounds like your ps2 laser is crapping out/or is still dirty

you could try cleaning the laser again, or replacing it.

However, have you even tried playing that disk on another dvd player. Its probly cuz you used crappy dvd-r or something. Ps2 can be picky with some brands.

when U burn next time, tick Verify, see what it says
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using the ImgTool -> DVD Decrypter method to burn your DVDs, I've burn some DVDs using Nero DVD video mode and they didnt work properly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay, the PS2 is maybe a year old and it plays games without any problem and the DVD-R plays properly in a DVD player. I purchased some Grade A DVD-R and it still happens. Could you explain a little more on this 'DVD Decrypter method to burn your DVDs' its something I haven't heard of yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    get ImgTools to create an image of your DVD. Then burn the iso file in iso write mode with DVD Decrypter
    Quote Quote  
  7. If I do it that way will a stand-alone DVD player still play it, because I want both to play the same disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it will still play on a standalone, I use this method all the time as I find it is the most reliable one. The downside is that it takes a bit of extra time cause you have to create the iso file and you need an extra 4.4 gigs free on your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So, I create the VOB's then turn them into an image file then burn, correct? Can I use Nero in DVD-ISO format?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where it says source directory select the folder that your VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder are in, don't select the VIDEO_TS folder or else img tools will give you an error message

I don't know if it will work in DVD-ISO mode in Nero, never tried it and probably never will, I just use DVD Decrypter cause it so easy to do and it has been good to me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks! I will try this and hopefully it will work for me as well as it did for you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. what are your system stats?
    What brand of dvd burner do u have?

My buds pioneer a05 hates decrypter when buring an iso. doesn't work right.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samaticon
    mod-chip is for games, not movies. ps2 doesnt need a modchip to read dvdr unless its games.
    Mod-chip is not only for games, it makes it read DVD-R/DVD+R. I have a first generation PlayStation2 and it won't play any movie on DVD-R or DVD+R media at first. Since I installed a Mod-Chip (Magic 3), I can now play DVD movies writing on DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW without any problems.

I think the problem is the media. I used to have many skipping problems with Princo DVD-R 4x for Movies. When using Verbatim and Maxell media, I have not see any problem at all.

One other thing, burn your DVD-R at 2x only. My PS2 have some problems with movie writing at 4x sometimes but they all play prefectly on my 3 other standalone DVD players.

I hope that helps...

Also, there is list of incompatibilty movies with the PS2
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/315/315957p1.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Akiraro
    Originally Posted by samaticon
    mod-chip is for games, not movies. ps2 doesnt need a modchip to read dvdr unless its games.
    Mod-chip is not only for games, it makes it read DVD-R/DVD+R. I have a first generation PlayStation2 and it won't play any movie on DVD-R or DVD+R media at first. Since I installed a Mod-Chip (Magic 3), I can now play DVD movies writing on DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW without any problems.

I think the problem is the media. I used to have many skipping problems with Princo DVD-R 4x for Movies. When using Verbatim and Maxell media, I have not see any problem at all.

One other thing, burn your DVD-R at 2x only. My PS2 have some problems with movie writing at 4x sometimes but they all play prefectly on my 3 other standalone DVD players.

I hope that helps...

Also, there is list of incompatibilty movies with the PS2
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/315/315957p1.html

my ps2 version7 reads all my dvd-r/dvd+r movies that i burn myself
    ( avi to dvd ) without a mod chip.
    I use riktek G03 disks, burned at 1x and 2x with my Pioneer 106 drive.
    my friends PS2 (which he bought on launch day also reads dvd-r/dvd+r movies, no modchip) maybe we have good luck or something
    Quote Quote  
  15. After reading all these posts I've come to the conclusion that you have to just go through this trial and error period and find out what works for you. I have made movies for my friends and the have played on their PS2's fine. I've tried all kinds on DVD-R's from Sony, Maxell, Memorex, LiquidVideo, and even some Grade A DVD-R off of eBay and have got the same result. I still have to try the DVD Decrypter way. Something tells me that will work. Call it a hunch!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have experienced so far that only if I use Nero, my SEG DVD-player plays without problem. Negative experiences with DVD Encryptor, Pinnacle Studio 8.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok, well, the hunch wasn't right, I used the DVD Decrypter way and still the same result. If any one can tell me a different way bfore I go and spend the money for a mod-chip, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure that a modchip won't do to you any good because you're problem is with the skipping/freezing problems and not that your PS2 won't play them (DVD-R/+R) at all.

I burn my DVD-R with Nero 6.0.3 most of the time these days and had no problem with them on my PS2.

If it's not a problem with the Media then there must be a problem with the lens.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  19. what about recordnow, i think that might work
    Quote Quote  
  20. Do you mean StompRecordNow, and if so could you be more specific?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'd say switch media, get Maxell's !
    Quote Quote  
  22. stomp record now works, there are many versions of this
    sonic/veritas/stomp/prassi ect

goto make a Data Dvd

Drag the VIDEO_TS folder in there
    close session, and burn it
    Quote Quote  
  23. "I purchased some Grade A DVD-R "

That doesn't say much. What manf are they?

You could get a decent mod chip with installation but it would cost you three or four times what a dvd player costs from circuit city.
    Quote Quote  
  24. As far as the grade a DVD's, I bought them off of eBay and there is no manufacturer on them. I have tried all type of media from Sony, Maxell, Memorex, and LiquidVideo and have recieved the same result. I'm beginning to think the media is not the problem because, when I take the same disc that skips in my PS2 and put it in my friends PS2, it plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Stomp RecordNow did not work either, so far, DVD Decrypter has played the longest wothout skipping. I'm going to try TMPGENC DVD Author next.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Just curious: why would you go through the hassle of buying the PS2 remote (which is about 15-20 bucks) and talk about getting a mod-chip (25-30, and that's if you know how to install it yourself) when you can buy a basic standalone that will play just about anything (including straight .mpg) for 40 bucks?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question, Do you smoke? Does your family smoke? The reason I ask is that I own a PS2 and my house has smokers. I started to have problems with inconsistent playback. I tried one of those cleaning disk. That have the little brush on the bottom of the cd. This did not work at all. It wasn't until I took the PS2 a part and cleaned the laser lens with rubbing alcohol. That it resolved my issue. Obviously this voids your warrenty. But may be something else for you to try.
    Quote Quote  
  28. OK, shudder, I purchased the remote to get the driver disc to update the dvd driver in the PS2 then, subsequently returned it. And, depressd, I bought the PS2 from people who I know don't smoke. Yes, I smoke but, outside. I have tried cleaning the lens with alcohol and with the same result.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Wel, I used TMPGEnc DVD Author and its burning software and it worked perfect! No skips or hesitations. I am going to try and do one of my older movies again and see if this works also.
    Quote Quote