VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    The files shown of about 1 Gb each with VLC icons apparently refer to twenty or 40 minute segments and those contain the commentary stream. If MKV merge or some such could join them that may be an answer. But I'm here to get the best advice on procedure to make a small encode just for the purpose of saving the comment audio.
    The vob files contain everything. Assuming the first set are just the movie and no other "junk" you should be able to open VTS_01_1.VOB with a program such as AutoGK and it'll display the four audio streams. The third audio stream should be the commentary. The rest of the vob files in that set (VTS_01_1.VOB thru VTS_01_6.VOB) will be included automatically as they're really just one large file split into chunks. You could open VTS_01_1.VOB with MeGUI's file indexer and it'll extract the audio the same way.
    If there's no copy protection on the disc you could open VTS_01_1.VOB with those programs directly. If there is copy protection, you'll have to rip the disc first with a ripping program to remove it.

I don't know why MakeMKV isn't ripping that DVD correctly. From memory when you open a DVD it lets you select the title(s) on the DVD to rip and if you select the movie title it should rip everything to an MKV. The title might just be a number (I can't remember as I haven't used MakeMKV in quite a while) but it'll probably be obvious which one is the movie if there's more than one.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How old/new is your DVD player
    I think Some newer ones will let you record the audio track to a USB stick
    You just play the movie with audio track of choice and choose record from the player functions
    Alternately I think you can also do this with VLC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In MakeMKV you insert the disc, if you don't specifically select a particular titles it just rips the entire disc, all titles and all subtitles and all audio tracks as separate mkv files per title. I have no idea why the OP has complicated the process when it is very straight forward? I think there is a clue in one of his posts where he says "I do it by rote". I have a client that I service his computer and is like this and has all the functions he needs to do written down on separate cards like a cake recipe - basically he has no idea of what he is doing.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't like the tone of any of these remarks.
    I am abandoning this project.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It all started using Handbrake and getting only one audio track but you prefer two audio tracks (main +commentary), is that right?

Handbrake did it correctly, right? If it cannot choose two tracks at the same time, just encode it again, choosing other audio track, video could be setting deliberately crappy, like 60x20 or something to speed it up.
    Then load both MKV's into mkvmerge and delete that crappy video track, so you'd get only one video and two audio tracks for your new MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I don't like the tone of any of these remarks.
    I am abandoning this project.
    The tone of the remarks ?? You've gotten some really good advice, and it has been given in a very respectful manner.

I echo what theewizard said earlier: I don't understand what you are trying to do. If you want to backup a DVD, use DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, DVD Fab, etc. If you want to manipulate the files in order to extract something, then you need to be specific about your goal because there are quite a few specialty tools for things like subtitles.

You really shouldn't criticize the "tone" of the comments, especially when there hasn't been any nastiness. Doing so may make it more difficult to get people to help you in the future, should you need it.
    Quote Quote