VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. You have to experiment a bit because some things have changed. Check the full help for switches. But I remember many things were not working well or broken in older builds about a year ago for ffmpeg qsv . The bitrate is in bit/s for these recent builds, so you can enter a bitrate for a specific filesize

The default settings have changed; they are better in the newer builds. I think gop size was tiny and bframes were zero in the older builds, so you might have to set them. It should be pretty easy to check

Code:
    h264_qsv encoder AVOptions:
      -async_depth       <int>        E..V.... Maximum processing parallelism (from 0 to INT_MAX) (default 4)
      -avbr_accuracy     <int>        E..V.... Accuracy of the AVBR ratecontrol (from 0 to INT_MAX) (default 0)
      -avbr_convergence  <int>        E..V.... Convergence of the AVBR ratecontrol (from 0 to INT_MAX) (default 0)
      -preset            <int>        E..V.... (from 1 to 7) (default medium)
         veryfast                     E..V....
         faster                       E..V....
         fast                         E..V....
         medium                       E..V....
         slow                         E..V....
         slower                       E..V....
         veryslow                     E..V....
      -vcm               <int>        E..V.... Use the video conferencing mode ratecontrol (from 0 to 1) (default 0)
      -rdo               <int>        E..V.... Enable rate distortion optimization (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -max_frame_size    <int>        E..V.... Maximum encoded frame size in bytes (from -1 to 65535) (default -1)
      -max_slice_size    <int>        E..V.... Maximum encoded slice size in bytes (from -1 to 65535) (default -1)
      -bitrate_limit     <int>        E..V.... Toggle bitrate limitations (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -mbbrc             <int>        E..V.... MB level bitrate control (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -extbrc            <int>        E..V.... Extended bitrate control (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -adaptive_i        <int>        E..V.... Adaptive I-frame placement (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -adaptive_b        <int>        E..V.... Adaptive B-frame placement (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -b_strategy        <int>        E..V.... Strategy to choose between I/P/B-frames (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -cavlc             <int>        E..V.... Enable CAVLC (from 0 to 1) (default 0)
      -idr_interval      <int>        E..V.... Distance (in I-frames) between IDR frames (from 0 to INT_MAX) (default 0)
      -pic_timing_sei    <int>        E..V.... Insert picture timing SEI with pic_struct_syntax element (from 0 to 1) (default 1)
      -single_sei_nal_unit <int>        E..V.... Put all the SEI messages into one NALU (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -max_dec_frame_buffering <int>        E..V.... Maximum number of frames buffered in the DPB (from 0 to 65535) (default 0)
      -look_ahead        <int>        E..V.... Use VBR algorithm with look ahead (from 0 to 1) (default 1)
      -look_ahead_depth  <int>        E..V.... Depth of look ahead in number frames (from 0 to 100) (default 0)
      -look_ahead_downsampling <int>        E..V.... (from 0 to 2) (default unknown)
         unknown                      E..V....
         off                          E..V....
         2x                           E..V....
      -int_ref_type      <int>        E..V.... Intra refresh type (from -1 to 65535) (default -1)
         none                         E..V....
         vertical                     E..V....
      -int_ref_cycle_size <int>        E..V.... Number of frames in the intra refresh cycle (from -1 to 65535) (default -1)
      -int_ref_qp_delta  <int>        E..V.... QP difference for the refresh MBs (from -32768 to 32767) (default -32768)
      -recovery_point_sei <int>        E..V.... Insert recovery point SEI messages (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -trellis           <flags>      E..V.... Trellis quantization (default 0)
         off                          E..V....
         I                            E..V....
         P                            E..V....
         B                            E..V....
      -profile           <int>        E..V.... (from 0 to INT_MAX) (default unknown)
         unknown                      E..V....
         baseline                     E..V....
         main                         E..V....
         high                         E..V....
      -a53cc             <int>        E..V.... Use A53 Closed Captions (if available) (from 0 to 1) (default 1)
    So it's missing some of the rate control options that qsvencc has
    Quote Quote  
  2. QSV is not the same for all CPU.

It's most usefull for Haswell or newer CPU. If you have a cpu before Haswell like sandybridge or ivybridge you can't access all modes ( hardware limitation )
    the error message you have with ffmpeg comes from this limitations.

For old CPU ( sandy/ivybridge ) only cbr and cqp mode are available and also may not work with recent ffmpeg ( > ffmpeg 2.7).
    example:
    for CBR: -c:v h264_qsv -b:v 2000k -maxrate 2000k -look_ahead 0
    for CQP : -c:v h264_qsv -q:v 20 -look_ahead 0

and for more recent cpu ( haswell and newer )
    LA ( default) : -c:v h264_qsv -b:v 2000k
    LA-ICQ : -c:v h264_qsv -global_quality 20

If you want to try full hardware you can also try QSV decoding:

ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -i ipunt-file -c:v h264_qsv -q:v 20 -look_ahead 0 output.file
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I'm not sure it worked on the older ffmpeg. Maybe you can help me determine that. see below. Maybe jagabo can try that version on the one that isn't working for him.
    Do you still have that version of ffmpeg.exe? If you upload it here I'll try it. Or give me a link to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found it. Finally. I checked a bunch and it appears that this is the only version for QSV support through ffmpeg back then, Jun 09 2015.

The size I got from encoding the "Test Source 2" file was 96,190KB (96mb) but the other member i mention in post # 120 got 24MB from QSVEncC

See post # 118 for my exact encoding specs for the above test clip. It would be interesting to see what you get on all your pc's with this old version.

Thank you.

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/2015/ffmpeg-20150610-git-913685f-win32-static.7z
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I found it. Finally. I checked a bunch and it appears that this is the only version for QSV support through ffmpeg back then, Jun 09 2015.

The size I got from encoding the "Test Source 2" file was 96,190KB (96mb) but the other member i mention in post # 120 got 24MB from QSVEncC

See post # 118 for my exact encoding specs for the above test clip. It would be interesting to see what you get on all your pc's with this old version.

Thank you.

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/2015/ffmpeg-20150610-git-913685f-win32-static.7z
    Using that version of ffmpeg, Test Source 2.mkv as input, and the command line in post #118, I got a 96 MB file and it rendered at 42 fps on my i5 2500K.

Using QSVEnc with the command line:

Code:
    QSVEncC.exe -i "%~1" --codec h264 --quality best --cqp 18:20:22 -o "%~dpnx1.qsvenc.mkv"
    gave me an 89 MB file and it rendered at about 103 fps. Without "--quality best" it rendered at 125 fps and gave a file of about the same size.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Oct 2016 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's a good speed, that 103 fps for that 1920x1080p source.

But there is something not right with your encoding results for QVSEnc. The 3 files that are in this post (below) are 24MB (full 1m:32s) and pretty good quality though i did not review it in detail and i believe shows better quality that our 96MB encode. If there is a way to find out what encoding params the member used, that might explain the discrepancy. There is a missing piece to this puzzle for your QVSEnc encode. Thank you for running those tests. They were interesting to see.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380203-Why-does-x265-preset-fast-get-the-smallest-f...=1#post2464227
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wasn't that using HEVC, not AVC ? The original topic was about x265, a HEVC software encoder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, I missed that. mystery solved

Apologies for veering off the subject a bit. I guess i had to get some of these encoder/encoding what-if's out of my system and got carried away with it.
    Last edited by vhelp; 1st Nov 2016 at 09:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update.. I ordered a new system and am waiting for it to arrive. I picked one off of amazon. I had to dip into my health funds and auto repairs unexpectedly and I was left with less to spend but had some amazon gift cards stored away for a big screen tv, and am now using that for my new system upgrade and finally ordered this system:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdel-SKYLAKE-Desktop-4096x2304-Windows/dp/B01KVET5BY

I asked for the i7-6600U cpu, the 6700 was to costly and not available anyway.
    (I read that it is a little more power than the i7-6500U that they are selling in that link)

I already have the keyboard and mouse. It comes with windows 10 pro, but is not a licensed version? Not sure what that means. Its confusing at the moment. Do I have to purchase it? I don't know. Anyway. I hope I did not offend anyone who has given me their suggestions. I know you put some time into the research, and I wanted to say thanks.

I just hope that it comes with the latest media sdk so that I am ready for testing that area. But I am pretty sure that I will be mainly in x264 and x265 encoding with this new system. And based on my experience with Intel's hardware Quick Sync, I just don't have much faith in it. I seen only one members results with it when used on a Intel 6700 setup. Anyway.

I can't wait for my system to arrive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I already have the keyboard and mouse. It comes with windows 10 pro, but is not a licensed version? Not sure what that means. Its confusing at the moment. Do I have to purchase it? I don't know. Anyway. I hope I did not offend anyone who has given me their suggestions. I know you put some time into the research, and I wanted to say thanks.
    The Amazon listing says this:
    the Operating System is activated but not licensed, it is just for evaluation, please install the licensed one if you like it. default: Windows 10 Pro
    The above means the installed Windows 10 OS on your new PC is not an legal copy that you can continue to use. Since your PC doesn't come with an valid OEM Windows 10 license like a PC from Dell or Acer would have, yes, you must still purchase Windows 10 if you want a legal copy of Windows 10.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. https://www.amazon.com/Kingdel-SKYLAKE-Desktop-4096x2304-Windows/dp/B01KVET5BY
    Fanless
    Great for encoding then!

(EDIT The "evaluation" OS is a red flag too. I urge you not to get this. Cancel the transaction; return unopened.)
    Last edited by raffriff42; 5th Nov 2016 at 02:12.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The mobile i7 has the performance of a desktop i3 which costs 1/3 the price.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp wants something tiny, light and flat, end of story. Maybe he needs a pre-built system because assembling a system would be difficult for him. I guess he either doesn't understand or doesn't care that there are significant limitations regarding what the kind of hardware he bought can do, even after the warnings he received.

For what it's worth, I did provide him with a parts list for a tiny STX build (6.10" x 3.15" x 6.10") that should work better for encoding, and not cost more than what he bought, if he used an i5. The CPU fan doubles as the exhaust fan. Maybe it is still too big or the power brick is a problem.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380775-build-a-new-pc-specifically-for-x265-encodin...=1#post2463599

Asrock makes the motherboard used in both versions of the bare-bones STX kit and I found they provide a utility that allows installing Windows 7 from a USB stick.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Nov 2016 at 10:46. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    update.. I ordered a new system and am waiting for it to arrive. I picked one off of amazon. I had to dip into my health funds and auto repairs unexpectedly and I was left with less to spend but had some amazon gift cards stored away for a big screen tv, and am now using that for my new system upgrade and finally ordered this system:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdel-SKYLAKE-Desktop-4096x2304-Windows/dp/B01KVET5BY

I asked for the i7-6600U cpu, the 6700 was to costly and not available anyway.
    (I read that it is a little more power than the i7-6500U that they are selling in that link)

I just hope that it comes with the latest media sdk so that I am ready for testing that area. But I am pretty sure that I will be mainly in x264 and x265 encoding with this new system. And based on my experience with Intel's hardware Quick Sync, I just don't have much faith in it. I seen only one members results with it when used on a Intel 6700 setup. Anyway.

I can't wait for my system to arrive.
    Where to begin?

This system costs $600 and includes a dual core Skylake cpu, despite the "i7" moniker, considering you have indicated a desire to stick with x264 and x265 despite any Skylake QS results, then I would think this system isn't for you.

More importantly, the OS; they claim the OS is "activated but not licensed", this is a contradiction in terms. "Activation" in the context of software licenses is a process by which a software license is validated, i.e. it's how the software vendors determines if a license is legit or not. If the OS is "activated" by legit means then the OS is said to be fully and legally "licensed".

The only times an OS is "activated but not licensed" is not when it's for "evaluation purposes", it's when the activation is done via non software license compliant means. In this case the OS is either "activated" via a crack, via a volume license key meant for enterprise environments, or some other questionable means. I wouldn't trust that Os install, it will either not allow you to install any updates in a best case scenario or in a worst case scenario the OS is already compromised via a root kit or other exploit.

If you're looking for a compact setup and have no problem buying from Amazon and are happy with a dual core, then go for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i3-7100U-Windows-E5-575-33BM/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=sr_1...by+lake+laptop

$350, Kaby Lake cpu, which means QS supports hardware VP9 encoding as well as 4:4:4 10 bit HEVC hardware encoding, as well as decoding. Looking at the specs it has an HDMI port so you can hook it up to an HDTV and really enjoy video.

I intend to pick something like this up myself, only I don't trust buying from Amazon, I like buying from Microcenter so if I don't like the product of something is wrong I can easily go back and get a refund.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update.. Just wanted to say that I received my new Kingdel mini pc system. No monitor, I seem to have misplaced my 23" one. So I am searching for a new one to purchase. In the mean time, to be able to test (and play) with this one, I have conjured up a crude yet effective alternative for now:

Kingdel [hdmi]-to-HDMI2SIDEO-to-ATI600 [svideo]-to-Dell_laptop via virtualdub

Unbelievable, (and tad bit blurry) but works. I can see the windows 10 pro computer screen, mouse, etc.. What I did was: uncheck "show information panel" and uncheck "show statusbar" and then selected "stretch to window" all in virtualdub.

Quote Quote