VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I have some video files. And the picture contents are a little blurred.

Can anyone please recommend a good software that will enhance picture quality.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format are the files? You can use a 'sharpen' filter, but they really don't recover something that isn't there. But give it a try. VirtualDub is normally what I use, but it only outputs a AVI type format.

With filters, less is better. You might get a small improvement in the appearance, but over sharpening can make it look much worse.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most video editing packages have sharpening filters. What is your source? That will, in part, determine what software you can use. Don't expect miracles.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

AVI Thanks

Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is with ColorMill in VirtualDub. I probably messed up the color balance a bit, but it looks a little better. Changing the color had more effect than a bit of sharpening:

ColorMill for VD: colormill2.1.1.zip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Over compressed and low resolution - not a lot to play with. The biggest improvement would come from finding a better source.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or, try this in Virtual Dub:
    Levels: input 0 1.131 255, output 35 255
    Sharpen: 20

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh,Oh! Where's my picture? I hope it's below.

Quote Quote  
  9. You can also try Unsharpen Mask and a White Balance or Gradiation filter. But you are likely enhance compression artifacts as much as the real edges. It's hard to say exactly what settings to use from one frame which look like it may have abnormal lighting but...

The gamma correction (levels filter) is probably too much if this is going to TV. Ok for computer viewing.

Instead of Unsharpen Mask try two Sharpen filters in a row. Both at about 16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would be cautious when using sharpening filters before deblocking or denoising - you can see his right upper forehead and around the lips, the blocking is intensified by the sharpening; on a single frame this might look bad, but on a moving sequence it will look horrible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    I would be cautious when using sharpening filters before deblocking or denoising
    Yes, I would want to see the video in motion before settling on how much sharpening to use. For this static image I went overboard to make the sharpening more obvious.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I agree jagabo, a small clip would help; and like gunslinger mentioned it's pretty bad shape to begin with. And to make things even worse - if the end format goal is farther compression with something like xvid...ouch
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh,Oh! Where's my picture? I hope it's below.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate all your replies!

jagabo

Yes, I would want to see the video in motion before settling on how much sharpening to use
    I have uploaded the video file. Here is the download link. Titled. Grim Tales.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnyymdxnc3y

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a 500kbps VCD resolution video which was probably copied off VHS. Be thankful it's as good as it is!

You could sharpen and deblock it in AVIsynth, but it is what it is - you risk just making the encoding artefacts more visible.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Even after MSU Smart Deblocking there are too many artifacts. The artifacts become much more visible before you get significant sharpening of the underlying image. But try this in VirtualDub: MSU Smart Deblocking followed by Unsharpen Mask at Diameter 7, Strength -1, Threshold ~4. That's still overdoing it but will give you an idea what you can do.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for your help
    Quote Quote