VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Windows 10 is said to be released this summer (July as per AMD) and current Win 7/8 users can get it free, but apart from the fact that Win 7 users will have to get used to the new look and that the old OS license will be voided after upgrading, this guy might have found another good reason to stay away.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    I must be slow but I do not see the "good reason to stay away".

All commercial software will move to the subscription model.
    That is the trend.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The writer of the article is just guessing on things that haven't happened or spoken of clearly,I'll wait and see what happens.I doubt all commercial s/w will be subscription,just a bit more until people quit subbing.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not a problem to me - i prefer OpenGL over DirectX.
    market will decide but i believe more and more people will start to move to OpenGL supported software after Win10 problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I must be slow but I do not see the "good reason to stay away".

All commercial software will move to the subscription model.
    That is the trend.
    Exactly, but do you really consider your OS to be just commercial software? After all Microsoft has always claimed that you could not have a PC without an OS, their OS and you can't deny that without an OS a PC is a useless box. Sure Windows 10 won't take your PC away from you, but if this guy has it right in a little over a year you're going to start seeing ads popup all over your desktop, unless you pay to turn them off. The way I see it the deal killer is if you've already paid to have Windows 7 (the best Windows yet) on that PC, why would you want to pay more every month for the same functionality?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Sure Windows 10 won't take your PC away from you, but if this guy has it right in a little over a year you're going to start seeing ads popup all over your desktop, unless you pay to turn them off. The way I see it the deal killer is if you've already paid to have Windows 7 (the best Windows yet) on that PC, why would you want to pay more every month for the same functionality?
    But it won't stay like that.

Eventually Windows 7 will become old and obsolete. Sure, no-one can force you to get a license for a newer version but you will not be able to take advantage of new hardware/software development that requires newer versions.

It's like having that old VHS of "Gone with the Wind", nobody is forcing you to stop seeing that one even after the HD version comes out but if you want to see it in HD you must pay again and under perhaps new licensing terms.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If enough consumers don't act like sheep and complain about "subscription" licensing, it won't take over everything. And much has to do with which market is being served...

Witness:
    Every body knows Adobe has gone subscription only for the professional creative suite. But they are still selling their consumer Elements line in the standard/old school way.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for, and there will (almost always) be alternatives.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    There is a serious potential downside to subscription based software though:

While with regular product licensing companies have to entice the existing customer with new fancy features to pay again for "that next great version" this is no longer the case with subscription based service, you pay whatever the company delivers or fails to deliver. Of course they would still have to compete with products from other companies but no longer against their own older versions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But, they have to ultimately provide support for what will later become legacy systems (because it worked when it was originally installed/subscribed), and features & bug-fixes can be added incrementally & easily.

There are upsides & downsides to both models.

Scott
    Quote Quote