VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have a vintage MPG of a hilarious spoof video I got from Kazaa back in 2003. It's 4500KB for almost 5 minutes of 120p video. Quality is GARBAGE. Back then this was kinda watchable and well worth the easy download I guess, given how so unnecessarily goddamn slow everything was back then.

In recent years I've gotten my hands on a bigger 45MB 240p rip (I would still prefer the original but oh well) and wanted to do a comparison with the old file and an H.264 rip with all settings cranked up to the max since this is a short 160x120 video, and make it the exact same bitrate as the old MPG file.

Problem is, the orientation of the frames are different. The old MPG is 24 fps but has many duplicates, so its effective fps is around 10. The 240p AVI is 29.97 fps, no duplicates.

I wanna do an apples-to-apples comparison so I need the new source to have the exact same frame orientation as the old MPG but this would take forever to do by hand so I was wondering if there was an automated way to do it?

I'm really curious how this will look with the latest and greatest. A year ago I did a similar comparison of an old animated DIV3 rip also from Kazaa which I now have the DVD of and what DivX achieved LQ with 250 kb/s and 15 fps, x264 achieved perfect quality (0.99200 SSIM) with the same resolution and bitrate at 24 fps. Huge kick in the nuts that we didn't have then what we have now. Downloading even LQ episodes took more than forever.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just out of curiosity, what is the video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unaired episode of Tripping the Rift.

C'mon people, is there an automated way to do this? Actually, I dunno why I even ask. Even if a port of those "JPEG duplicate removers" existed on avisynth/vdub, the quality of the LQ is so bad that it would probably fail to match them properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    . . .
    Last edited by vhelp; 29th Sep 2012 at 00:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    . . .
    Last edited by vhelp; 29th Sep 2012 at 00:58.
    Quote Quote  
  6. / /( . )y( . )\ \
    Last edited by Mephesto; 29th Sep 2012 at 01:12.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok it appears that even if I got the frame orientation right, I couldn't compare the resized HQ source with the old one because it was cropped differently, had lower brightness and overall looked like it went thru 100 conversions. Encoding to MPEG1 with TMPGEnc to the same bitrate looked a lot better.

This test was a disappointment anyhow, x264 only fared 2.7 times better quality than MPEG1. I guess it wasn't designed for resolutions so low. Waiting for H.265 with an impending orgasm...
    Quote Quote