VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been transferring VHS to AVI (for editing then to DVD) for a few years, and my old ATI AIW AGP card into VirtualDub worked great.
    But this year I upgraded my system and the new mobo doesn't have AGP, so I decided to try capturing via USB with an ATI TV Wonder HD750. But I'm having difficulty getting a good transfer. First of all, AFAIK the device is only be able to capture at 720x480 UYVY, and huffyuv compression is not available so the files are (obviously) huge. I'm also getting a lot of dropped frames, far more than I ever had using the PCI card, although changing the audio settings helps.
    FYI, the software that comes with the device only seems to capture to MPEG.
    So I'm looking for any tips using this device before I get frustrated enough to return it.
    Last edited by TB Player; 29th Dec 2011 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the version of Virtualdub you installed 32-bit or 64-bit? The version of HuffYUV installed must be 32-bit or 64-bit to match.

AmaRecTV http://amamaman.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/amarectv_e.htm is alternative capture software that also works with many different capture cards and allows the use of HuffyUV and a few other lossless formats. It is 32-bit software, so install 32-bit versions of the compressors you want to use with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Is the version of Virtualdub you installed 32-bit or 64-bit? The version of HuffYUV installed must be 32-bit or 64-bit to match.

AmaRecTV http://amamaman.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/amarectv_e.htm is alternative capture software that also works with many different capture cards and allows the use of HuffyUV and a few other lossless formats. It is 32-bit software, so install 32-bit versions of the compressors you want to use with it.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I discovered the problem with huffyuv - I'm running Windows 7 and there is a extra command needed to install huffyuv. Once I took care of that I was able to capture with compression.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, now I'm able to capture with huffyuv compression, but the capture consistently drops 6 or 7 frames when it starts, and the audio does not sync (meaning that when I play back the AVI, the audio is ahead of the video). I'm betting that there is an adjustment in v-dub for audio sync, but I never had this problem with my old AGP card and I'm wondering if I'm just running into the limitations of a USB device?

Any tips would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TB Player View Post
    Well, now I'm able to capture with huffyuv compression, but the capture consistently drops 6 or 7 frames when it starts, and the audio does not sync (meaning that when I play back the AVI, the audio is ahead of the video). I'm betting that there is an adjustment in v-dub for audio sync, but I never had this problem with my old AGP card and I'm wondering if I'm just running into the limitations of a USB device?

Any tips would be appreciated.
    Hello TB Player,

Try my settings to record with USB capture card. (0 frame skip or inserted)

Any doubt, reply.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thanks, this looks good. I did a test capture using these tweaks that turned out well, so I'll try these settings for the next VHS transfer.
    My biggest problem now is audio sync.

Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

Hello TB Player,

Try my settings to record with USB capture card. (0 frame skip or inserted)

Claudio, the settings in your tutorial don't work with my USB capture device, although I think that increasing the buffer will probably help... I'll let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you capture in VDub with the F6 key, not the F5 key. F5 is "compatability mode" (compatible with what, I don't know -- it always loses audio sync when I use it).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 09:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Compatibility mode was removed at some point. If you look at current versions, F5 and F6 map to the same menu option.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reminding me, I see for Dec 2011 a new VirtualDub (1.9.11). I had 1.9.4 a month ago, hit F5 by accident and lost sync all over the place. Downloading the new VDub now.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 09:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TB Player View Post
    Claudio, the settings in your tutorial don't work with my USB capture device, although I think that increasing the buffer will probably help... I'll let you know.
    Whats error?? Video? Sound? Preview?

Please, reply.

PS: The best software to capture with 750 is POWER DIRECTOR 8/ 9 /10

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 23rd Jan 2012 at 19:22.
    Quote Quote