VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've been reading up on the problems caused by just using the MTS files from the AVCHD folder.

And I have faced quite a few of those aswell.

So, I want to know if there is actually a way to rip all the information in the AVCHD folder into one single video file as it is.

As, this would make it easier to use in any software & avoids the clutter of those CPI & other related files!

Many thanks in advance,
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on how you look at it .

Editing programs actually use that "clutter" because it contains accessory metadata to "stitch" the files together seamlessly. If you delete it often you sometimes get glitches or audio problems

However - your camera should come with software to do basic edits and join (append) the files. It usually uses those other accessory files to facilitate the joins
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that insight.

For this camera, it comes with PlayMemories Home. And it exports it as .m2ts (for 'stitched' video) & .m2ts.modd (for something else, I am not fully aware of. But opens in notepad in XML format).

Is there any other software that could do this job aswell? As I want to do this for videos from my previous camera aswell.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also, this software Sony PlayMemories Home isn't very smart.

It doesn't let me export the files that I have already copied from my camera to my PC, even though I have the whole folder structure!!!

So, I am looking for an alternative software. Do you know of any?
    Quote Quote  
  5. All Pro NLEs will stitch the stream files as needed -- Avid, Premiere Pro, Vegas Pro, even Edius.

If you transfer directly from the camera to the computer vis USB you will get stitched files with a useful timeanddate.mts file name. (But it's not as fast as copying the material with a card reader and using pro software.)

The TMPGenc products also recognize spanned clips. TMPGenc MPEG Smart Renderer will create an mpeg file without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi,

Thanks for that.

Will check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi,

I checked it out, looks good & seems to be doing the job.

Do you have any idea, if FFMPEG could do this job; convert from AVCHD to MPG?

This would make it much easier as I can just batch process everything in one go & its a free software.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by haneef95 View Post
    ... convert from AVCHD to MPG?
    Do you mean MP4? You can try Video Container Changer, it uses FFMPEG to remux AVCHD to MKV, MP4...
    Quote Quote  
  9. ffmpeg can, but you risk glitches at the joins because it doesn't use the accessory timecode and metadata (this has happened to me a few times and many others before) . I'm not saying it WILL happen to you , but it's a distinct possibility

But if you join with one of the other programs, then batch convert with ffmpeg it shouldn't be a problem
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Originally Posted by haneef95 View Post
    ... convert from AVCHD to MPG?
    Do you mean MP4? You can try Video Container Changer, it uses FFMPEG to remux AVCHD to MKV, MP4...
    Thanks for that! =)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    ffmpeg can, but you risk glitches at the joins because it doesn't use the accessory timecode and metadata (this has happened to me a few times and many others before) . I'm not saying it WILL happen to you , but it's a distinct possibility

But if you join with one of the other programs, then batch convert with ffmpeg it shouldn't be a problem
    Thanks, thats the information I was looking for!

So, are you aware of any software that can be used to join the MTS files properly using the timecode & meta data in the AVCHD folder?

I don't want container changes.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use NLE's , but they typically don't "stream copy", so that leaves you with the crappy bundled software . I don't know of any others that do it properly (The glitches don't happen often, but when they do it really sucks)
    Quote Quote  
  13. If i shoot short individual 1080/50p avchd videos with my cameras and the video files are under 3.999gb in size, i can put my SDXC card into my card reader and dump the mts files directly from the stream folder onto my Hdd, then import them into my Video ReDo joiner list and just use the "Join" option to stitch them together (smart render) as one single 1080/50p m2ts or mp4 file if that is what is needed, and it does it perfectly.

If however i shoot a single video and it goes over 3.999gb in size, the video is then spanned over multiple 3.999gb files that will need to be joined to create the single video file that i shot.

This is where i need to use the "Combine" option in the VRD joiner list rather than the "Join" option, so those spanned files are stitched together seemlessly, and without any glitches in the joins, and if i was to use the "Join" option with these spanned files, i will have a slight glitch at the joins, resulting in audio/video sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!