VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I converted an .AVI movie to .MP4 and then opened it in Sony Vegas. There are three audio tracks, one with dialogue, and two with various background sounds. I'm planning on dividing the movie up into smaller scenes, but when I render the scenes as .MP4, the audio tracks merge into one. I was wondering if there is a way to preserve the audio tracks during the rendering process so that when the scenes are opened in Vegas, the audio is still those three tracks instead of one.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think you can directly to MP4 with vegas

As a workaround, you can export the video & 1st audio (mute the 2nd & 3rd audio), and then for the 2nd & 3rd you can export separate audio tracks and use a 3rd party muxer like mp4box (yamb, mymp4boxgui are GUIs) to add the other tracks into the MP4

Multiple audio tracks won't be played simultaneously with normal playback software. Usually only the 1st audio will be played back. You would need to mix the tracks into a multichannel single track audio e.g. 5.1 if you want to hear everything
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ungroup everything.

What is a "Scene"? You're trying to storyboard with rendered clips? Vegas isn't organized that way, but you can save each "scene" as a project, then bring the project back into the timeline. It's called "Nesting Veggies".
    Last edited by budwzr; 26th Jul 2014 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Ungroup everything.

What is a "Scene"? You're trying to storyboard with rendered clips? Vegas isn't organized that way, but you can save each "scene" as a project, then bring the project back into the timeline. It's called "Nesting Veggies".
    Scenes from the movie. Once or twice a year, me and some internet friends find a foreign movie (usually Japanese or Hong Kong) and we divide the film's scenes up and assign them to different people. We then take the scenes and edit them in amusing ways as well as adding our own subtitles or dubbing.

So I need to divide the movie into different parts, and then get them to the other editors. Nesting veggies would work if I sent them the project file and the movie file, but some of the editors have older versions of Sony Vegas than the one I'm working with, so they might not be able to open the project files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm... see post #2 then. Im stumped on that one.

Maybe render the three audios to a single 5.1 format?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you're sending stuff off to other editors, then don't use mp4 and compressed lossy audio like AAC. It's just going to get worse and worse

Render each audio track separately with uncompressed audio, you can zip it up and send it to them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Using the original MP4 conversion, maybe get the cut points (timings IN and OUT points from the timeline) using Vegas and use the cutter in tsMuxer, demuxing to elementary streams. The voice track clip is likely the only one which they need to return to you. And possibly a subtitle file.

Seems like a lot of effort but I can't think of a more straightforward way. I am not even sure tsMuxer can do it. It's just a suggestion.

Here's a tutorial similar to aedipuss' link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkcsIumwQqo. Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!