VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I discarded 93% from my 1080/60p source, it doesn't look good. What to do?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    What would you do?

Quote Quote  
  2. Ctrl+z
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Oh good grief. Get your head out of your ass. If you know beforehand that you need a DVD-video version of an HD video source, you already know that it won't be the same visual quality.

Using a 1080p source is going to work to give you a decent quality result. Yes I've done this with a dozen or more Blu-ray movies using HC (in BD Rebuilder). Sometimes there is no other option than to make a DVD-video, depending on who is going to use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Oh good grief. Get your head out of your ass. If you know beforehand that you need a DVD-video version of an HD video source, you already know that it won't be the same visual quality.

Using a 1080p source is going to work to give you a decent quality result. Yes I've done this with a dozen or more Blu-ray movies using HC (in BD Rebuilder). Sometimes there is no other option than to make a DVD-video, depending on who is going to use it.
    Yes, some people need or want a DVD. We don't need tech-crazed streaming-internet-only dictators limiting our choices of resolutions, framerates, and delivery systems to only those that they approve of.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Yes I've done this with a dozen or more Blu-ray movies using HC (in BD Rebuilder). Sometimes there is no other option than to make a DVD-video, depending on who is going to use it.
    Could you give me an example?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Yes I've done this with a dozen or more Blu-ray movies using HC (in BD Rebuilder). Sometimes there is no other option than to make a DVD-video, depending on who is going to use it.
    Well obviously, when you wish to watch a movie at someone's home who has no Blu-ray player is one example. My sister has no Blu-ray player, and no media streaming box, only an older DVD player, and I have made these copies in the past to play at her house. She never watches a movie twice if she can help it, so they are/were throwaway copies. But the quality of the encodes was perfectly fine on her relatively small TV (37" LCD).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Well obviously, when you wish to watch a movie at someone's home who has no Blu-ray player is one example. My sister has no Blu-ray player, and no media streaming box, only an older DVD player, and I have made these copies in the past to play at her house. She never watches a movie twice if she can help it, so they are/were throwaway copies. But the quality of the encodes was perfectly fine on her relatively small TV (37" LCD).
    Hmm, it never occurred to you you could have simply taken your player with you?
    Wouldn't she have loved to have "that blu-ray experience" that you have now deprived her of?

Last edited by newpball; 4th Apr 2015 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    ^Unbelievable. That has to be the most absurd thing you've said in these forums since you got here, and that is saying quite a lot. It really is a new low in stupidity.

I'm out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    By the way may I suggest a present you can give her on her birthday?
    Players already start at $45 at Walmart!

I am sure she is going to love it!

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Part of your problem is that you start off with patently inaccurate figures: 1920x1080@60p vs. 720x480@30i is a 12x difference, meaning the latter is 1/12 of the information of the former. 1/12 = 8.3333333%, so you would only be losing 91.66666%, not 93%. Can't even get your math right!!

What engineers know that you don't is that ALL pertinent elements need to be taken into the equation. You just like chopping off all kinds of true, important data that doesn't fit your narrow interpretation of what's right & "modern".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM

That $45 POS is about your speed, newp, but why make someone else pay more than you spent on yours?

Will we be seeing some of your innovations at any of the CES shows this year?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, so you don't at all understand women, it seems.

Female + video = don't give a sh!t

... unless it's "Cooking Jersey Shore with the Stars". But even then, they only care about the content. You would apparently be surprised at how many females are fine with not only DVD quality, but streaming -- even butchered Youtube and crappily-converted VHS. This is a hobby and profession dominated by males. Video is often "men's work'. Only the actual shooting is 50/50, and she then gives it to her husband to "do something with it".

This is a generality, of course. But that's how it generally is. Women don't care.

Your suggestion is therefore hilarious.

You don't understand anything about the world of video. None. You sound like a 20-year-old "know-it-all" (know nothing!) Best Buy employee.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You don't understand anything about the world of video. None. You sound like a 20-year-old "know-it-all" (know nothing!) Best Buy employee.
    In all seriousness, based on his comments, hijacks and disruptions, I suspect Newpball may still be a few years shy of Driver's Ed.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

20-year-old "know-it-all" (know nothing!) Best Buy employee.
    @lordsmurf
    I don't think he's that bright
    Quote Quote  
  16. I haven't posted here for a few days, maybe even a week, but it's pretty obvious during that time newpball stopped taking his medication completely.

Editing
    Everything about joining and cutting/splitting video. Adding or removing logos. Also advanced video editing and NLEE with Premiere, Ulead, Vegas Video, etc.
    What's reducing the resolution/bitrate (or whatever he's on about) got to do with editing?
    Could one of the mods move this thread to the Off Topic forum? Or the Polls forum, where maybe you could argue this thread belongs, if you were inclined to argue it belongs anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Truer words have never been spoken. I learned this the hard way some years ago.

This thread illustrates why I am going to cut back my participation here big time. I'm not sure that I will never come back, but I'm going to cut WAY back on participating here. I haven't always been, ahem, nicely mannered, so apologies for that, but I have actually been working on that. But a few things have just made me think that I really have better things to do with my time than spend it here.

One is newpball is always stirring up sh*t with posts like this. He doesn't really care about what the replies are. He just wants to get people all stirred up. Do the mods do anything about this? Hell no. But here's what the mods DO get all completely bent the #$%^ out of shape about.

New guy came here last week. Posted asking for help. He's doing Mac specific captures. I thought and still think that he needed Mac specific help. Asked a mod to move it to the Mac forum. It got moved. NOBODY replied. OK, that's a little weird as usually Mac specific posts get help, but I guess it happens. After like 4 days, new guy gave up and made a new post in another forum. He provided tons of details and I wish I could help him, but I can't. johns0 sees - gasp! - it's a post on the same subject so he closed it. New guy is PISSED and says so in a new thread. I complain about johns0. Baldrick closes THAT thread after my complaint.

OK, I get that Baldrick and johns0 sittin' in a tree.... they're just "friends"... and so on. But you know, I just really think I've had enough of a forum where johns0 gets 100% support from the guy who runs the place for being a d*ck all the time and new people with real problems can't get help AND newpball NEVER gets his threads closed or banned or anything. Have fun guys. I enjoyed it here and learned a lot from many of you, but it's time to cut back as I just no longer agree with the direction of the site.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    jman98
    Are you saying that this is becoming another neuron2 scenario?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Afraid of being accused of censorship is the root of the problem, so everything flies.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken. I learned this the hard way some years ago.

This thread illustrates why I am going to cut back my participation here big time. I'm not sure that I will never come back, but I'm going to cut WAY back on participating here. I haven't always been, ahem, nicely mannered, so apologies for that, but I have actually been working on that. But a few things have just made me think that I really have better things to do with my time than spend it here.

One is newpball is always stirring up sh*t with posts like this. He doesn't really care about what the replies are. He just wants to get people all stirred up. Do the mods do anything about this? Hell no. But here's what the mods DO get all completely bent the #$%^ out of shape about.

New guy came here last week. Posted asking for help. He's doing Mac specific captures. I thought and still think that he needed Mac specific help. Asked a mod to move it to the Mac forum. It got moved. NOBODY replied. OK, that's a little weird as usually Mac specific posts get help, but I guess it happens. After like 4 days, new guy gave up and made a new post in another forum. He provided tons of details and I wish I could help him, but I can't. johns0 sees - gasp! - it's a post on the same subject so he closed it. New guy is PISSED and says so in a new thread. I complain about johns0. Baldrick closes THAT thread after my complaint.

OK, I get that Baldrick and johns0 sittin' in a tree.... they're just "friends"... and so on. But you know, I just really think I've had enough of a forum where johns0 gets 100% support from the guy who runs the place for being a d*ck all the time and new people with real problems can't get help AND newpball NEVER gets his threads closed or banned or anything. Have fun guys. I enjoyed it here and learned a lot from many of you, but it's time to cut back as I just no longer agree with the direction of the site.
    Grow up. One thread at a time has always been the rule here. Can't the guy you mentioned just content himself with bumping his thread like the rest of us? In any case, historically not every question posted gets an answer. Sometimes one has to live with that.

As for newpball, if he does enough damage here chances are that he will be banned.
    Quote Quote