VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. which is the better input/ouput?

HDMI ?

or

Component (YUV) ?

I notice a lot of people preferring to setup HD with Component than HDMI...why is this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snadge
    which is the better input/ouput?

HDMI ?

or

Component (YUV) ?

I notice a lot of people preferring to setup HD with Component than HDMI...why is this?
    It depends on several things.

Analog component YPbPr is limited to video rates 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i and sometimes 1080p. Quality depends on the equipment being used. Analog component is the only choice for older DVD players and early HDTV sets. Analog component gets excellent results with broadcast grade components. Much consumer equipment uses cheaper lower quality ADC DAC chips and lack adequate filters. Analog component can more easily handle long cable runs since sync is derived only from the Y component.

DVI/HDMI is a digital connection and can be implemented with cheaper components than analog component. It is also capable of a wider range of computer resolutions in addition to standard video resolutions. Disadvantages include limited resolution support at the TV end (read the manual for supported resolutions), draconian HDCP encryption requirements and limitations on cable length.

A third option is analog VGA (RGBHV) which is now widely supported at the TV end (read manual for supported resolutions). This allows easy connection from a computer display card and usually lacks overscan limitations found on HDMI and analog component. VGA cables are cheaper than HDMI in most cases and can be run to moderate distances ~20-50ft when quality cables are used. There is no HDCP encryption requirement for VGA.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks edDV....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should also be noted that DVI has no audio, where HDMI does, just in case you didn't know that.

I didn't think you could get 1080p out of component ?? I thought that would go as high as 1080i only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by funnel71

I didn't think you could get 1080p out of component ?? I thought that would go as high as 1080i only.
    That depends on the equipment. 1080p YPbPr is common in production.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another reason is that many current LCD screens, especially those from Samsung and Sony (they use the same panels), de-activate some of the build in filters they have, especially those regarding the "motion drive" technique (they add additional frames to the framerate for smoother motion) and the internal upscaling. In specific, when you use HDMI connections on those TVs, and they detect an external upscaled signal, they de-activate all the internal filters they use. But when you use component, sometimes this de-activation is not take place (if you are lucky or you find a unofficial firmware for your TV on the net).

This problem is so big, that especially with the PAL DVD players, using the old fashion RGB SCART connections (which is only 576i), the video looks visually better on those locked panels, than using both HDMI or Component and let your DVD player or you TV to upscale the signal!

The big ones do this locking to their TVs, so to make a fake visual difference between upscaled DVD and true HD material on those popular smaller screens, like 32", 37", 40 and 42". As we all learn through the years, the visual difference between upscaled SD and HD on normal conditions, is not something you can easily notice on those screen dimensions.

Component goes up to 1080p
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The plot thickens.
    Quote Quote