VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R135 Display shows “SAFE”.

The hardest part of all this is trying to figure out a Title line for a post so it catches the attention of those who might have experience with the unit in question. Please accept my apologies if I wasted your time clicking on this post in error.

My question relates to the Samsung DVD-R135 DVD recorder/player, burning a Taiyo Yuden DVD-R disk, in XP mode.

Last night, I was dubbing an old episode of the CBS “48 Hours” program, from an S-VHS tape made last year, to this DVD-R135 unit. Suddenly, OUT OF NOWHERE, while still in record mode, and only about 3 seconds before the end of the operation, and just about to hit the STOP button, I see *** SAFE *** appear on the unit’s display.

SAFE??? Where on earth did this come from??? The DVD-R135 stops responding to all inputs from the remote, as well as the unit’s front panel buttons. Total loss of control.

Just about ready to hit the STOP button, to end the recording, I had pressed the INFO button on the remote to see how much time I had remaining on the DVD-R, as available bytes are chewed up quickly in XP mode. I had 8 minutes of available media remaining.

Was the INFO window still showing on the screen when I pressed the STOP button? I really cannot remember for sure. I was so flabbergasted by not being able to stop the recording that a lot of things have become a blur.

Anyway, I reached for the power cord and unplugged this DVD-R135. I let it sit for a few minutes and then plugged it back in. At least this stopped the recording. The DVD-R135 comes back on but still shows ** SAFE ** on the display. I hear the DVD drive mechanism make a few grunting noises, and after about 20-25 seconds, the noises stop and the normal symbol (on the display) indicating a disk has been recognized appears on the display, along with “-R”, which is correct, as I was burning a “-R” disk.

I had thought maybe the darned disk had disintegrated inside the drive mechanism, but this could not be the problem since the display reports it recognizes a -R disk within the drive. I’ve already experienced one bad disk from this spindle of Taiyo Yuden DVD-R’s I purchased, so I know what happens when one has a defective disk. The display will NOT report it recognizes the disk. In fact, when I had the bad disk, the drive kept rejecting the disk. Every time I would again close the door, the unit would examine the disk, and in about 20 seconds, the door would open, rejecting the disk. This was repeated several times until I finally got the message I simply had a bad disk, and set it aside. Anyway, I know what to expect if a disk is bad, and in the above described situation, it appears a defective disk is not the problem. But now I can’t even get the tray door to open. It responds to no commands. SAFE appears, where the current time should appear.

I had previously this same evening just burned an old episode of NBC’s DATELINE, to the very same disk to which I was burning this 48 Hours program. NO PROBLEM. And the previous night, I had burned the highlights of the baseball game, recorded on VHS tape, using another Taiyo Yuden DVD-R disk, also in XP mode, and had no problems. This unit is quite new, so I’ve only done 7 or 8 operations thus far, but never encountered anything like this before.

So that’s where it sits. I unplugged it last night, and the DVD-R135 has sat for 10 hours unplugged and upon plugging it back in this morning, ** SAFE ** still appears on the display and I can do nothing with it.

What the hell has happened here? Yes, I have searched for answers to this, at the forums, at a9.com, at Google.com, at Samsung.com, and I don’t see anything that even comes close to throwing light on this insanity.

Could there be one of those ANTI-COPY pulses embedded in the CBS 48 Hours program, as I originally recorded the show on VHS tape??? I never heard of any anti-copy restrictions for tv shows like this. I called Samsung, and they don’t know. They said to send it to the nearest service facility, after waiting on hold for 15 minutes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Resolution to this problem

The problem described in this thread has been solved. I’m adding a follow-up here since this might possibly help out someone else in some future day if they do a search for the DVD-R135 recorder.

Another call, just a few minutes ago, produced a different service rep at Samsung, and this fellow did have a solution. Most calls to Samsung turn out horribly frustrating. Anyway, I described my situation, as noted in the original post, and the service rep told me to press and HOLD the INFO button on the remote control for 4 to 5 seconds. He said this would unlock the DVD-R135 machine, removing the SAFE message from the display. I did as instructed and SAFE changed to ON, followed by LOADING, and then SUPER, as input AV1, with an S-Video cable, had been what I’d been using from the previous night. I could then eject the disk, and everything started behaving normal.

The telephone tech said I must have pressed and held the INFO button (on the remote control) more than 4 seconds. He said this is a feature included for brick and mortar stores with display models on the shelf, to keep DVD’s that might be inside the disc tray from being ejected by customers and stolen. He said this is the reason there is no troubleshooting tip in the User’s Guide explaining how to get out of such a problem.

Upon ejecting the disc, it looks ok. No damage. The only fallout appears to be the 2nd title I was burning when this happened (the CBS 48 Hours program) does not appear in the disc’s table of contents. The first burn I did, the Dateline show, appears on the list, and plays ok, but there is no 48 Hours show. However, the disc space I’d used to burn the 48 Hours program was certainly used up and now unrecoverable. This prog was about 27 minutes long, so that disc space is wasted. Pressing the INFO button now shows only 4 minutes of disc space remaining, even though the Dateline program consumes only 40 minutes. I guess this is not too bad an outcome considering the possibilities (shattered disc, drive failure, power supply failure, etc). Thanks to the forum owners for allowing me to post.

bob
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for giving us that information. I wonder if other machines have a similar feature? It sounds like it may be fairly common, though probably with different ways to implement it, depending on the machine.

Since this more concerning DVD Recorders, moving you to that forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! Fixed our problem right away.

Jan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blueribbonday
    Thanks! Fixed our problem right away.

Jan
    Welcome to the forums and I'm glad it helped you, but please do not drag out old threads to simply say "thanks" or "I own one too". We really prefer that old threads NOT be added to at all unless what you have to say is critically important to the thread. For example, if you have updated information on a region code hack for a specific DVD player that nobody had in the past, it's fine to post that to an old thread. But just to say "Thanks"? No offense, but that's not really helpful to the forums.
    Quote Quote