VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The image was taken from a downloaded xvid file taken from an hd source and with a bitrate of nearly 1000 kbps so I don't know why it looks the way it does. It is very grainy/noisy and there is the issue of vertical jagged edges like the ones you see in the image. I'm not sure if there is a fix for this.

Quote Quote  
  2. I would throw that out and find a better version. It looks like it was resized with a nearest neighbor filter (jaggies) and recompressed several times (DCT ringing). You're not going to fix those defects.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah this release is a few years old so no chance of that. I should have checked it more carefully when I originally got it years ago but at first glance it was not that noticeable and I was also not expecting it at all. Now that I'm thinking of converting it for dvd I wanted to fix it. If jaggies can't be fixed I'm fine with that but I still need to know a good filter to use to get rid of the noise, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. One big problem (besides the low quality/low bitrate, ringing and jaggies) is that you have different kinds of noise. If you try to get rid of them all, it will look like 1 smooth mess with no detail (e.g. faces look "plasticy" like dolls, etc...) - so it will be a balance between using the filters & settings to your tastes. If you smooth it a bit, at least you will help compressibility if you are encoding to MPEG2/DVD

I'm just a beginner in this area, but you could try playing with several avisynth denoising scripts. It will give you better results than using vdub's filters because: (1) way more selection of filters / choices / options (2) no extra quality loss from vdub's color conversion if you use strictly YV12 compatible filters (your source will be YV12 if it's xvid, but the screencap is RGB24)

A great tool for avisynth is AvsP where you can apply filters and "flip" back and forth between different scripts to visualize the changes

Also some filters are temporal, and "read ahead" a few frames in their smoothing algorithm. So you should really test it on a full clip instead of a static image with 1 frame

Here is my quick attempt using some filters. Some filters require even dimensions, hence the resize function from your original 520x811 image

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\hqdn3d.dll")
    ImageReader("image2a.jpg")
    LanczosResize(520,800)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Deblock(quant=30)
    hqdn3d(4,3,6,4.5).hqdn3d(4,3,6,4.5)
    Deen().Deen()
    Here is the before/after using the same dimensions (so you can save to desktop and flip back/forth in windows picture viewer)

Before

After
    Quote Quote  
  5. *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks I just tried both avsp and netvideo. I wasn't able to get avsp working for some reason but I did have some success using netvideo.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What is it from and is the guy in the image getting royalties for all these different copies seen here ?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote