VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've noticed that sharp detail/fonts on this DVD I have consistently twitter (I'm viewing it on my mac), and I don't get it. I thought twittering only happened on interlaced displays.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 'twittering' = ringing ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is he means flickering .. ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bouncing up and down by one scan line? That's from a bob deinterlace. Or possibly some other deinterlacer.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th May 2013 at 18:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    There are dots bordering the outside of the letters of text that go up and down, giving the letters a jagged appearance. It's like a chainsaw sort of effect.
    Last edited by 90sTV; 12th May 2013 at 21:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is it only on colored edge? Not on grayscale edges? That sounds like dot crawl.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, I think that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's just a badly made DVD then.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    So what part of the DVD creating process would likely be responsible for this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. If it's truly dot crawl, then likely it was derived from an analog source. Then the source is the problem
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Picture vs. thousand words.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes. In a video the dots will be crawling, moving.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Twittering/Flickering is common on DVDs that were (incorrectly) created with text and/or graphics that are too sharp for interlaced display. This sharpness results in fine one- or two-line segments that stand out because they don't blend in with the rest of the (natural background) image. In a sense, it's a variation of ALIASING. It should have been avoided by using a 1-to-4 line vertical motion blur (or alternately, a Gaussian blur of 1-to-4 pixels isolated in the vertical domain). The result that you are seeing is the fault of the DVD creator(s).
    It can be fixed after the fact, using similar anti-aliasing filtering, but there will be some mild resolution loss throughout the image as a result, but at that point it can't be helped.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I've been wondering - what kind of source would DVDs with dot crawl likely be transfers from? Since from what I've read Beta SP is component video, and dot crawl is from composite, what kind of tapes would you see dot crawl on? Umatic? VHS? Seems like it would be strange for them to have come from VHS since I didn't think that was used in professional broadcasting unless they were selling it to consumers...unless that's just what the network had lying around.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1991 is most likely from a 1" master, possibly D-2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could be from any of those masters if the digitizing were done via composite (and a not-so-good one at that).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!