VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to choose what format i want for playback on my markus 800 i have the following to choose from:

Video:
    MPEG1/2/4, XVID, DIVX, WMV9, WMV9HD, H.264,X.264, TP, TRP, TS, MKV, WMV, AVI. ISO.IFO,VOB MPG, ASF, DAT

Audio:
    AC3.MP2,MP3,DTS (pass through) Ogg,WMA.MPGA MPA, PCM 64K ~ 192Kbps, 32K/ 44.1K/ 48KHz

What im looking for is picture quality for small file size.

so what would be optimal format?.

It has a 1tb hard drive might sound like alot of space but be used up fast.

http://www.hantech.ca/product/product_detail.asp?M=1&S=2&bCateName=MARKUS&CATEID=00020003
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for size go with h264 and aac.
    but i don't see aac listed in the specs...
    funny.
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am not familiar with this player, but general advice for any multimedia player should apply. Such players may support everything they claim, but they may not necessarily support all possible options. For example, it may play Xvid/Divx fine, but GMC with 3 warp points has never been supported in any standalone playback device despite many claims to support it. MKV support may be hit or miss with some combinations of audio and video working better than others. All bit rates may not be supported. You'll just have to see what works for you.

DTS pass through means that you need a receive to decode DTS. My suggestion to save space would be to stick with AC3 audio. AAC buys you nothing - it's yet another lossy format. And AAC playback is rarely supported, like on this device - no support here either. I'd advise a combo of H.264 for video and AC3 for audio and everything should playback OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    M2TS = H.264 video with AC-3 audio

The Sony PS3 supports this but no other device does (to the best of my knowledge).

Of course you can do MKV with H.264 video and AC-3 audio. Since the MARKUS-800 says it supports MKV and H.264 and AC-3 then let us hope it supports MKV with H.264 and AC-3 but MKV can be almost anything so when they say they support MKV who knows exactly WHAT they mean?

As for H.264 video ... many programs that record to this format have a PS3 and/or XboX 360 "profile" and this is a "standard" of sort so I would use such a profile when doing the encoding if you want to play it back on any hardware device such as the MARKUS-800 etc.

My suggestion for encoding would be either XVID4PSP or MeGUI (both are good but I favor XVID4PSP myself). I know if you do MKV in XVID4PSP that it does H.264 the same way as if you use the PS3/XBOX 360 MP4 profile. This should be "safe" for the MARKUS-800 (knock on wood).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow i converted my dvd battletar galactica to h.264 it seems clearer than the original dvd i might have had the quality turned up too high its almost blu-ray type quality.

the filesize was 1.6gigs i guess its overkill lol.

Yes it does playback mkv although mkv is just a container but i do like to keep subs from dvd with source all in 1 package now ill have to put my whole dvd collection on the box beats having to get up to search through dvds for discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have a markus-800 also. I purchased 2 of them actually hoping they would do what they said they would do.. So far my experiance is this. I can play any .mkv file in great HD quality 1080p . The sound is an issue. Everytime i play a .mkv file with dts/1500bps i cannot hear anything.> I am woundering if i'm doing something wrong or if the unit is unable to support this. All the .mkv files i have play with AC3 audio have been fine. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XVID4PSP is a freeware program for Microsoft Windows that will allow you to import a MKV with DTS and output a MKV with AC-3 audio. In other words it will import and convert the audio to AC-3 then make a new MKV using the original video file and the new AC-3 audio file. It even has a default 640kbps AC-3 bitrate mode. That is the highest bitrate AC-3 you can create.

If your MKV has more than just 1 video file and 1 audio file then it is best to use XVID4PSP to re-do just the audio (DTS to AC-3) and output a new audio file (you put the program into "audio only" mode) ... then demux the MKV and re-create it using a "dedicated" MKV demuxer/muxer using the newly created AC-3 audio file instead of the included DTS track.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok thanks.. do you have a how to or tutorial on how to do that.. I downloaded the program
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's relatively simple.

Start up XVID4PSP

On the left hand side under FORMAT select "AUDIO"

On the left hand side under AUDIO ENCODING select "AC3 640k"

At the top left click on OPEN and select the MKV with DTS audio

It may take a while to completely load the file. When it is done click on ENCODE which is at the top right

The output will be filename.ac3

Now use MKVtoolnix and MKVEXtractGUI to demux or demultiplex the MKV and then re-create it but include the new AC3 file instead of the DTS file.

There are various guides on how to use MKVtoolnix but here are two I've found that should do it for you:

1.) To demux or demultiplex a MKV ---> http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/157/59/
    2.) To create a MKV ---> http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge-gui.html

Also remember that MediaInfo is a good way to find out information about a MKV file.

P.S.
    I forgot to mention one thing about XVID4PSP.

Follow my steps above but before you click on ENCODE go to the option at the top that says AUDIO and under that select EDITING OPTIONS. A window called, "EDITING AUDIO OPTIONS" will pop up. This window is broken into 5 sections and the bottom one is called VOLUME. You want to set both options here to 100% but by default one is set to 100% while the other is set to 3%

After you change that go ahead and click on OK and it may take a while but eventually it goes back to the main screen. Now you can go ahead and click on ENCODE.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ok.. I did all of this now i noticed that the file that was saved is .mka and for some reason my player wont reconize that... why wont it save as .mkv
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you load the video first, then audio in that order into mkvmerge, it will save the extension as .mkv. If you do the opposite order, it will be .mka
    Quote Quote  
  12. worked fine! thanks man great job .
    Quote Quote