VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am looking for a programming language that would suit development of an application that could process video feeds for motion detection and object recognition. Would like to have this running on a Linux platform, and trying to keep it as open-source as possible. I have experience with Java so that would be my preference. I have briefly looked into some Java graphic libraries, JMF being the default but is no longer maintained. Have also looked into Xuggle, GStreamer and v4l4j.

C/C++ tends be more efficient, so I guess would Java be suitable for video processing? If Java is not the way to go please let me know what you would suggest or have used in the past.

I have seen one example app called Motion, this was developed using C and the video4linux interface.

I don’t want to start a technology debate, just any ideas would be appreciated, either comments on languages you have used, API/libraries that were useful – in particular with motion detection, video and image manipulation capabilities.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. libav might be worth a look at,... (C/C++)
    also MLT (http://www.mltframework.org) might be interessing as video frame work (c/C++)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

FYI - I decided on OpenCV based on the community, power of the library and doc/tutorials available. Will be using C++ also, not keen on the Java bindings/libraries, need to keep as efficient as possible.

Cheers
    Quote Quote