VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I got these instructions for making the LG RH735T 500Gb DVD recorder (bought in Australia) region free from elsewhere on the internet, but so far have not had any success with it. So either I am doing something wrong or it just doesn't work.

1. Insert a disk from another region.
    2. Press the 'Home' button on the remote.
    3. Select 'Disc'.
    4. Your machine will state 'Wrong Disc' and the disc will be ejected.
    5. Press '0' (zero) 7 times. A message will appear to confirm the region change.
    6. Press 'Enter' to confirm.

From my experience, it is impossible to press or select ANYTHING between steps 1 and 4 because as soon as a wrong region disc is inserted, the machine automatically goes through the routine of checking the disk, displaying error "Region error" then ejecting immediately -- no opportunity to make the selections in steps 2 or 3 at all.

If anyone else knows how to unlock this machine please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This site MIGHT provide some insight:
    http://ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html

The region code info on the site, even though a different model, has some similarities.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There was one new piece of information on that site that suggested a sequence of 1, 1, 6, 6 so I gave it a shot... no joy.
    Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe you need to be quicker on the HOME button?
    I don't have my LG unlocked because the burner is dead anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes companies change the firmware and this breaks hacks that worked on older firmware. It may not be possible to downgrade the firmware to an older version but that might fix your problem. There is some risk involved so if it is even possible on your player (with some manufacturers this is impossible to do - I have no idea about LG), you do so understanding that attempting to downgrade the firmware may brick your player. And there is always the chance that this won't enable the hack to work anyway, even if you do it successful, because there is some other reason it doesn't work.

Aussies and Kiwis can contact the support office of the manufacturer (LG in your case) in their country and beg them to unlock the device. The laws in those countries allows, but does not require, manufacturers to unlock players for region free playback and if you are VERY lucky, maybe LG will have mercy on you and help you. But the rule has always been that specialty players (DVD recorders, portables, combo players, etc.) almost never can be unlocked. Again, do understand that Aussie law ALLOWS manufacturers to unlock player but does NOT require them to do so. If they refuse to do so, they have violated nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Came across another method which involves burning a CD and loading it into the machine. This did not work either. Step 9 (below) just lists the folders on the disc instead of launching any kind of region menu as the instructions would have you believe. So you can never actually get to step 10. Very disappointing...

LG RH188S, LG RH735T

1. Download the zip file "5000.zip" (http://www.dvdexploder.com/lg5000.zip)
    2. Unzip the folders and files to the hard drive in exactly the same order as they are in the zip
    3. Burn the folder "RMTM0000" (including sub files and/or folders) to a blank CD/R, naming the CD/R "CODEFREE"
    4. Make sure you record the disc as Disk At Once (DAO) and as a closed (once only) session
    5. Make sure you burn the disc in Joliet mode (not ISO)
    6. Insert the disc into the player (with the player in DVD mode, and Input set to "AV1"). It won't play, but the disc icon in the left hand upper corner will read "DATA"
    7. Press the "Home" key on the remote
    8. Scroll to the Movie icon, then down to disc
    9. Hit the "Enter" key on the remote. After about 10 seconds, a Region Select menu will come up
    10. Press "0" on the remote for multi-region. The screen will go back to normal and you should be able to play any region
    Last edited by dalekky; 26th Jan 2014 at 08:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Any one had any luck finding a working unlock code for this yet?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    dalekky - I told you most likely why it's not working in my first paragraph above. I told you what you might try (beg LG to help you) in my 2nd parargraph. If you can't read the advice you're given, that's a bigger problem than I can solve. By the way, continuing to beg people here to help you unlock it isn't likely to help. Ask LG for help and maybe if you are lucky they will take pity on you.

I know you don't want to believe it, but it happens ALL THE TIME that manufacturers update firmware and deliberately break hacks that worked in the past. There can also be hardware differences during production (components may change, for example, due to availability or price) and either or both of those can combine to break hacks that worked in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Is this jman98 some kind of troll?

I am fully aware of how firmware updates break hacks. That doesn't mean someone might not have discovered a new one in the 4 months since I last posted. I don't know how you came to the conclusion I don't believe firmware updates happen. Frankly your argument is bizarre.

As for your advice, (which I had no problem understanding) LG have no intention of providing the information to me to unlock the player.
    Your comments about my thread (which mostly consists of HELPFUL information for other users, letting them know what doesn't work), are bordering on personally insulting.

If you can't make a sensible, constructive comment, don't post.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dalekky View Post
    Is this jman98 some kind of troll?

I am fully aware of how firmware updates break hacks. That doesn't mean someone might not have discovered a new one in the 4 months since I last posted. I don't know how you came to the conclusion I don't believe firmware updates happen. Frankly your argument is bizarre.
    I'm blunt. Many don't like it. The times where someone "discovers a new one" are very low indeed. You can always ask, but it's not realistic to expect a favorable answer. You've been asking and you're getting silence in return. That's why. You seem to think if you ask enough that you'll get a favorable answer. That's an interesting hypothesis and you are welcome to test it.

Originally Posted by dalekky View Post
    As for your advice, (which I had no problem understanding) LG have no intention of providing the information to me to unlock the player.
    Your comments about my thread (which mostly consists of HELPFUL information for other users, letting them know what doesn't work), are bordering on personally insulting.

If you can't make a sensible, constructive comment, don't post.
    Can't read your mind. You failed to mention that you talked to LG at all. Yes, by law LG is not required to help you. The law in your country states that they are ALLOWED to help you unlock it, but they don't HAVE to do so. And you don't own me, so I can post all I want. And if you think my posts are bad, you've really seen nothing here. Just wait until you see the "F*** you" type posts that go back and forth at times. One time a guy used a gay slur to refer to someone and the moderators completely ignored it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I've asked for help a total of 2 times in this whole thread.

And those 2 requests were 4 months apart. I do not think it is unreasonable to return to a thread after 4 months to see if any new information has surfaced. A lot can happen in 4 months.

All my other posts have been informational about methods which do not work.
    I'm sorry you seem to be taking issue with my posts.
    As for me not mentioning that I've already been in contact with LG, that is hardly any excuse for me not to ask, and certainly no reason for you to reply in the tone you did. And for your information, I can assure you that if I DID get a favourable reply from LG I would definitely post the information in here for the benefit of others. I am guessing that if I did return to post that "LG was of no help", you would have taken offence to that post also, claiming that I was "continually asking" or some other nonsense.

I've not breached any of the forum rules. I haven't continually made "bump" posts or posts with no reason. I haven't started multiple threads on the same topic. I haven't abused any other users on basis of sex, religion, ethnicity or mental capability.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dalekky View Post
    I've not breached any of the forum rules. I haven't continually made "bump" posts or posts with no reason. I haven't started multiple threads on the same topic. I haven't abused any other users on basis of sex, religion, ethnicity or mental capability.

Personally, I find nothing objectinable in your postings. It's perfectly acceptable to mildly bump a thread every few months or so if your keen on any "breakthroughs".

Welcome to VideoHelp and don't be discouraged from participating. This place is a fantastic resource for enthusiasts and pro's alike.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Welcome to VideoHelp and don't be discouraged from participating. This place is a fantastic resource for enthusiasts and pro's alike.
    I'm not discouraged
    I agree this site is a fantastic resource, and one that I have used many times in the past 10 or so years. Although I've newly re-registered on this current forum, I had been a member previously, back when the site was called VCDHelper or something similar.
    Quote Quote