VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi all. as some of you may know, i run my os on fumes. i am currently down to 110mb on my root drive. please don't lecture me on the don't's. anyway.

in effort to save what's left on my c:\ drive, i'm trying to extract (and install) the

"MSYS_MinGW-w64_GCC_481_x86-x64_Full.7z"

to a 32gig memory stick that i use to install and run most of my software apps. this has been working fine for me for quite some time. on occation i run into scenarios like this one but had ways around it. for insance, files that are .rar, i can use their special extract feature to extract files to any other hdd w/out it (winrar) ever touching my c:\ drive. however, .7z doesn't seem to have this feature that i know of. if someone knows how i can set .7z to extract "direct" (for lack of proper term) to mem stick, i would greatly appreciate it. thank you.
    Last edited by vhelp; 8th Aug 2013 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Tools => options => folder => you can specify the working folder (normally system temp folder on c )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    solved

the funtion steps are:

1. right-click the .7z file
    2. select the folder in question
    3. right-click the folder and select 'copy to..' or F5
    4. finished

c:\ drive never touched.

i have this little applet i wrote (delphi) some time ago for win98 when i used to run out of hhd space a lot, it lets me watch whatever drive is in use in real time.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pda, is that for .7z tool ?
    or windows.. to redirect temporary file usage elsewhere ?

if for windows, that would be great! because this file is still extracting, its 60% completion, aprox 8 minutes ago, still running. i'm getting worried i won't be able to install it.

never mind..i got it..
    Last edited by vhelp; 8th Aug 2013 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's for the temp/working directory, and I assumed you meant the offical 7zip program, but it looks like you are referring to something else

You can also right click and "extract files" as well and specify a directory if you have the context menu option installed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i managed to solve it in post # 3 .. thank you for your tip also.
    Quote Quote