VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I use different refresh rate modes of my monitor to play my video files smooth.
    I'm going to buy a notebook and nobody I asked knows if there are notebooks that support all the different refresh rates like 23Hz/24Hz/25Hz/29Hz/30Hz/50Hz/59Hz/60Hz. Does anybody know?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know the answer but I'd be interested to know if somebody does. I've tried playing videos of different frame rates using my smartphone and I'm not sure if I've been able to detect any "judder", so I've wondered if they automatically change refresh rates. Or maybe the screen's just too small for me to be able to tell? Mine's an Android phone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lcd displays are normally locked at 60htz or 50htz for pal. old crt monitors had variable refresh rates.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Smartphones should be locked to one refresh rate. The display is too small to see the artifacts in my opinion.
    I know that lots of monitors are locked to 60.000p like aedipuss already said, I live in PAL land here also 60.000p. But I hope there are notebooks available supporting 23Hz/24Hz/25Hz/29Hz/30Hz/50Hz/59Hz/60Hz.

anybody can select 24p for example in display settings/ driver settings using a notebook? Please let me know the grafic card type and the notebook model.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the video card(intergrated or discrete)the display software might allow you to set custom resolutions with different refresh rates,On my desktop card i could set my graphics cards to 30hz so i could finish a game properly,it was gta4 with a timing glitch.

You gotta test different laptops before you buy one.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I went to local computer dealers but they didn't know what I want. I had to explain everyone what I want. They told me to ask online in a forum.

I tested a few ones (up to 1700 €) but it was only possible to set the refresh rate to 40p or 60p. 40p (?!) But I want one with 23/24/25/29/30/50/59/60 support just like my grafic card in my pc. Can you please take a look at the driver/display setting of your notebook? It's the only thing I know I can do at the moment. Already asked DELL, but he said in less than 1 minute no, isn't available. Can't believe that.

I think it's the display built into a notebook that can't display the 24p, ... native.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think you are asking something 99.999% of the population doesn't care about. And I suspect that 99.998% of the computer geeks don't care either.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try testing a laptop with a nvidia video card,it might be able to set different refresh rates.I don't ever need to change my refresh rates to match videos to get smooth video display.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are NOT going to find ANY monitor these days that has a refresh rate of lower than ~48Hz. And for good reason: lower than that and you would notice the strobing/judder.

Next, you need to divorce the idea of "refresh rate" from the idea of "frame rate". They mean 2 completely different things. The first only deals with when (and sometimes how) the display updates, numbered in Hz. The second deals with cadence of motion of the source stream, numbered in Fps (or fps for fields).

As has already been said, the MONITORS will only be ~60Hz (occasionally ~50 for those countries) and above. To be truthful, there is a big difference between LCD-type monitors and CRT- or Plasma-type monitors (besides the obvious). LCD-type monitors work like STATIC (but still volatile) RAM, whereas CRT-/Plasma-types work like DYNAMIC RAM.

Disregarding legacy CRTs and Plasmas, what usually happens with adjustable LCDs is that they act like they have ~60Hz or ~120Hz refresh rate for 29.97, 30, 59.94 and 60Fps inputs, and have a 50Hz or 100Hz refresh rate when given 50Fps inputs, and 50 or 75Hz or 100Hz refresh when given 25Fps inputs, and have ~48Hz or ~72Hz or ~96Hz refresh rate when given 23.976 or 24Fps inputs. However, in your area, most ~24Fps material should be being sped up to 25Fps anyway. So your big list of 7 or 8 (or more) framerates that you want to be compatible has now been whittled down to 2 or 3 accommodating refresh rates. This ability to accommodate depends on the video software (player, driver or otherwise) and isn't always automatic.

I just looked at 2 of my 3 monitors sitting in front of me, and one (HP) has options for refresh at 60Hz and at 75Hz, thus accommodating NTSC-type and PAL-type rates (and by 3:2 Pulldown, accommodating Film-type rates). The other (Dell) has options for 60, 70, 72 and 75Hz, thus accommodating all 3 (NTSC-, PAL-, and Film-types) as well as an additional rate (to be used for something I never need).

Also, if it wasn't obvious to you before, those LOWER frame rates will always use 2:2 pulldown when being shown on those higher refreshrate devices. This will always be UNDISCERNABLE to you because of the persistence of vision. Of course a similar 2:2 or 3:3 pulldown occurs in movie theatres, and HAS since nearly the beginnings of cinema.

But there are plenty of LCD monitors (and I'm going to guess they make up the majority, especially the more economy models) which only have ONE refresh rate.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you're happy to use Reclock, you could easily get away with just a couple of refresh rates. I use my PC as a media player connected to my TV and pretty much just leave it refreshing at 50Hz. I use Reclock to speed 23.976/24fps video up to 25fps and watch it that way. The tiny speed increase doesn't bother me. Reclock can resample the audio in order not to change the pitch. Obviously for 25fps video nothing needs to be changed.

The only time I'd change the refresh rate to 60Hz is when watching video with a 29.97/59.94 frame rate, and living in PAL-land I don't have much of that.

So if there is a notebook which supports 60Hz and 75Hz refresh rates, that'd pretty much cover it, if you're happy to watch most video at 25fps. Actually 50Hz would be nice if you have 50fps video..... I de-interlace PAL to 50fps progressive when encoding so I do have a bit of that.

My TV's a Plasma and it supports lower refresh rates (24Hz, 25Hz etc). I never use them as video looks exactly the same with the TV refreshing at 25Hz or 50Hz, but Windows itself (moving the curser or moving windows around) is less responsive at lower refresh rates. As long as the refresh rate is an even multiple of the frame rate, I don't think there's any advantage to using low refresh rates.

I assume this discussion is regarding the notebook's own display and not watching video by the HDMI out? Because for the latter you should normally be able to choose any of the standard resolutions and refresh rates. I don't work with laptops much and I can't say I've paid much attention as I've never used one for watching video regularly, but I don't recall having used a laptop with a display which wasn't fixed at 60Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the replies

I know the difference of framerate and refresh rate. Couldn't explained it better. I use MPC with auto refresh rate change. Also XBMC has a refresh rate change called "Adjust display refresh rate to match video", be sure to turn settings to "expert".

Does reclock help me when there is only 40p and 60p?

Most of the tested notebooks had a "big" Nvidia grafic, so the not supported refresh rates to display the different framerates of my video files is the built in display that isn't connected wit HDMI flexible flat cable (if there is something like that, you know the display must be connected somehow internal).

I also never had a notebook, but I will need one (hope not) and so I thought I want one with multi refresh rate support not only via HDMI out, also the built-in display should support it native.

So no one also "Multimedia Notebooks" don't have displays that support that. Can't believe that but it must be so.

Dissapointed
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Does reclock help me when there is only 40p and 60p?
    It can adjust the frame rate to eliminate dropped frames, and maybe help with any tearing problems, but the short answer would be "no".
    Quote Quote  
  13. I would search for notebook with G-Sync NVidia technology - personally i doubt that any vendor provide digital LCD with very flexible timings as this is not standard - niche product (however from technical perspective doable without problem). If you really interested in flexible timing display then only one solution can be proposed - CRT - it can have weirdest timing (within operational range) and can display true interlace.

btw
    http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?p=5671#p5671
    Last edited by pandy; 7th May 2014 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It CAN be more flexible of a technology, though. Doesn't mean that particular models you can afford ARE flexible. Like anything else, you get what you pay for, and "Refresh rate flexibility/options" is a tiered charge. Some can only do a few core rates & sizes, some more, a few can do a lot ($$$). Remember, these are monitors primarily, so the rates available have more to do with VGA, etc PC-type resolution & refresh options rather than TV-related ones.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. I want a "multimedia notebook" and for this it is necessary to offer models which have this option. It's only the display that must support this. The grafic "card" is able to do this nowadays.

Only my opinion
    Quote Quote  
  16. Alternative way - buy some display developer kit - LCD with analog and digital inputs, feel free to code own video formats, as HDMI have some limitations (HDMI spec cover this aspect - you can use only predefined resolutions - not sure on DVI - perhaps it allow flexible timing) but for sure VGA output should be more flexible (there are some constraints like 8 pixels accuracy in horizontal direction when timing is specified (AFAIR VGA timing is specified in characters not pixels - some MC6845 dependencies...)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!