VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

These are the step I use :

1. I'm recording with my Hauppauge HD PVR 1504 a TV show. It results in a .TS file with : VIDEO : 1080i60 telecined & AUDIO : AC3 5.1

2. After that, I use VideoReDo TVSuite 5 to remove the commercials. The output is another .TS file, but with no commercials.

3. I use this file as input in Handbrake to create a 720p mkv file.

That is my problem, I don't know how to perform a IVTC and/or deinterlace. Without that, the output (in 23.976fps) is laggy and the image is poor. I heard about MeGUI, but I don't know if it replace Handbrake. Also, is using VideoReDo is great or I should use another software?

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Handbrake can perform a basic IVTC. They felt the need to rename it as 'detelecine'. It can also deinterlace. Maybe you should read the Handbrake doc:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide

I heard about MeGUI, but I don't know if it replace Handbrake.
    MeGUI can certainly do the job, but it has more of a learning curve than does Handbrake. And since you're having trouble with Handbrake, then...

Without that, the output (in 23.976fps) is laggy and the image is poor.
    That doesn't really make much sense. It shouldn't become 23.976fps without an IVTC which, you say, you don't know how to do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if I check detelecine, do I also need to check deinterlace? Because my input is 1080i60.

Also, is using VideoReDo a great idea?

And in Handbrake, you can choose the output framerate, i choose 23.976 but didn't check detelecine, that's why it was laggy.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by iTzMythix View Post

And in Handbrake, you can choose the output framerate, i choose 23.976 but didn't check detelecine, that's why it was laggy.
    By 'laggy' I guess you mean it plays slowly. Yes, that makes sense.
    So if I check detelecine, do I also need to check deinterlace? Because my input is 1080i60.
    Do you understand what an IVTC does? Anyway, no, using the 'detelecine' filter means you shouldn't also need to deinterlace. To make sure, though, that 'detelecine' is what you need, you might post a 10-second sample from the source so we can have a look. Or go through your source frame-by-frame to make sure that of every five frames, three are progressive while two are interlaced.
    Also, is using VideoReDo a great idea?
    To remove ads? I suppose, as it's thought of pretty highly around here by those that use it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By 'laggy' I guess you mean it plays slowly. Yes, that makes sense.
    I mean that, by exemple, at each 3 seconds it freezes.

Do you understand what an IVTC does? Anyway, no, using the 'detelecine' filter means you shouldn't also need to deinterlace. To make sure, though, that 'detelecine' is what you need, you might post a 10-second sample from the source so we can have a look. Or go through your source frame-by-frame to make sure that of every five frames, three are progressive while two are interlaced.
    Yeah I know what it does, but I thought that it only works on progressive videos. If I got a interlaced video (like 1080i59.976) I need to check deinterlace to get 1080p29.976 and to check detelecine to do the IVTC to result in a 1080p23.976 without repeated frame. That's right?

To remove ads? I suppose, as it's thought of pretty highly around here by those that use it.
    Yeah, many people use it because it keeps the original video/audio qualiy. So I'll continue to use it.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by iTzMythix View Post
    I mean that, by exemple, at each 3 seconds it freezes.
    Maybe your computer isn't powerful enough to decode 1920x1080 videos with high bitrates. It wouldn't do that just because it hasn't been IVTC'd yet.
    Yeah I know what it does, but I thought that it only works on progressive videos.
    It works only on hard-telecined videos. Which are interlaced. So I'm not sure you understand at all.
    If I got a interlaced video (like 1080i59.976) I need to check deinterlace to get 1080p29.976 and to check detelecine to do the IVTC to result in a 1080p23.976 without repeated frame. That's right?
    First, it's 59.94 fields per second which is the same as 29.97 frames per second. So, no, that's not right. You have everything garbled. An IVTC consists of two parts - field matching followed by removal (often called 'decimation') of the duplicate frames. Ordinarily, no deinterlacing takes place.

Once again, without a short sample one can only guess.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I think the interlaced and telecined confuse me.

That is a sample of what I am recording :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ixby9yaqxu8f8lb/sample.ts

Thanks for the help!

EDIT : When I look this .TS file in VideoReDo, I see 4 different frames and the last frame is repeated, so it is like this : 1,2,3,4,4,5,6,7,8,8,...
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's normal 3:2 pulldown. In Handbrake you want to detelecine and set the frame rate to 23.976. That should get rid of your duplicate frames.

I don't really use Handbrake but the version I have can't decode the sample correctly. But since you weren't complaining about that I assume the version you're running works ok.
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th Dec 2015 at 23:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually it seems to me that if you wish to use Detelecine in Handbrake, you should use Same as Source framerate (and variable framerate).

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's not been my experience with Handbrake and hard telecined material. If you set the frame rate to Same As Source you will get 29.97 fps with a duplicate frame every 5th frame. Exactly what the OP is reporting in post #7.

Maybe that works with soft telecined material. I've never tried that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all for the help! So if I understand, detelecine and no deinterlace in Handbrake, and framerate output at 23.976fps. The video is not laggy like that! Great!

Now I have aborder question, if I use VideoReDo, I'll cut the telecined video so I will loose the rythm of the telecined framerate.
    By exemple: 1,2,3,4,4/removed commercials/8,8,9,10,...

Will Handbrake detect this automatically?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, Handbrake will adapt to changes in cadence.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, Handbrake will adapt to changes in cadence.
    So I need to put detelecine to "default", right?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't really use Handbrake so I don't know what the Detelecine:Custom option does. I do all my processing in AviSynth and encoding with the x264 CLI encoder. From what I've seen the Default option works fine with normal 3:2 pulldown sources.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Detelecine set to default it works!

In VideoReDo, I need to be carefull to keep the 3:2 pulldown and it works! If I don't do that, video and audio are not well synched, but now it works like a charm!

Thank you for the help!
    Quote Quote