VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ***If you have a question concerning this firmware. Please read this thread to see if the question has already been asked/answered. For additional information concerning the 5990 capabilities go to "Techflaws FAQ". Thank you***

For 5990/37 5990/37b 5992/37 5992/37b

Use at your own risk.

* new skins
    * new OSD font (text and graphic)
    * new filebrowser (with scrollbars, outlined font, new icons)
    * 40 cahr for filelist, 44 char for DirList
    * 3 Mp3 TAG in filebrowser
    * fix "Kbps" bug.
    * JPeg preview small size at bottom of file list
    * move volume from bottom to a higher position.
    * Patch "Title" as "GoTo"
    * Auto-load subtitles
    * Patch subtitle area and subtitle window
    * Patch subtitle color scheme (use normal fonts)
    * fix "1 sec. srt. bug"
    * 4 fonts for subtitle (Standard, Small, Medium and Large)
    * DVD Quick Play. I replace VOD menu (from general page) with new, named "DVD-Video" with two option "With menu" and "Without menu".

Two version with white and yellow subtitle

[s:459fb4e4f1]http://rapidshare.com/files/139834074/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_1.rar.html[/s:459fb4e4f1]

Update:

* New "File Cutter", number of character in FileBrowser is limit now to length of "yellow" band.(More than 40 char.)
    * Move "DVD-Video" (DVD Quick Play) to "Preference Page" ,where is now "DivX Subtitles"
    * Move "DivX Subtitles" to "General Page", you can change font and color of subtitles when movie play.
    * Add a new menu for subtitles color. New menu is "Color" with option "Default" - white subtitles and "Cool" - yellow subtitles. New menu is after "DivX Subtitles".
    * Change color for "Display" "Folder/Single/Repeat" to white,now is visible.
    * "More" white color for some OSD message.

After update, apply a "Reset" and change font and color (for subtitle) to "activate" change.

DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/142530783/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2.rar.html

Update:

Changed OSD font (smaller, like original) and for "GoTo" I change color when enter "h:mms" to a yellow. After enter, color is back to white.
    Two versions with and without volume on "Repeat" and "Repeat AB".

DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_volume.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/144682875/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_volume.rar.html

Update:

* New font with outline for OSD, SETUP (must be like in V2 version).
    * Full Unicode support for ISO+Joliet / USB (Thanks to shoora).
    * Add for TV Type PAL and Multi, but NTSC is default.
    * Move few pixels subtitles to left.
    * Two version with and without volume on Repeat keys.

DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_2_volume.rar
    http://rapidshare.de/files/41206251/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_2_volume.rar.html

Update:

change from v1_2_1:

* new font with outline for OSD message, new Setup menu.
    * new option for subtitle color. New menu for Background and Outline color. Add color Black and "Transparent".
    * move subtitle position few pixels to left.
    * add a new menu for vertical position of subtitles, with 16 steps. Special for users with plasma TV and custom zoom ("Zoom1" or "Cine").
    * add a new menu for "loaded subtitles", good if movie and subtitles don't have same name.
    * Add PAL and Multi to TV Type. NTSC is default.

Two versions:

If you use Vobsub subtitle (sub/idx), I make a version without patch "Load org then all", because with this patch only first sub/idx is loaded.
    So, if you use this type of subtitles use this version:

DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_2.rar
    http://rapidshare.de/files/41226920/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_2.rar.html

If no, use this (with patch "Load original subtitle,if not found, load all")

DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1.rar
    http://rapidshare.de/files/41226861/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1.rar.html

Update:

* New "logo" - "CD Logo"
    * Remove partial UOP (user operation prohibition)

DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar
    http://rapidshare.de/files/41293974/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar.html

Note:Base version is v2_3_1. With and without volume on repeat keys

Update:

* 8 lines in filebrowser
    * Jpeg preview in "background"
    * No MP3 TAG (no space)
    * CD LOGO
    * Partial fix volume level. Volume is not changed when switch disk, etc. Not stored on power on/off.

Version with and without volume on repeat keys:

DVP5990_37_vb6_v3.rar
    http://rapidshare.de/files/42448813/DVP5990_37_vb6_v3.rar.html

Update:

* fix "remaining dots on directory line"
    * max. 48 char from USB.
    * Slideshow transition is set to fasted possible.
    * Move jpeg preview in a lower position
    * Only for 5990_37 exclaim.gif If you want Volume + - on Repeat Keys, run AddVolume_599x.exe.Click on "Open DVP599xx.bin" and select firmware file.

Download with CD, DivX, Vista and Philips LOGO.
    DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo.rar
    http://rapidshare.de/files/45238647/DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo.rar.html

Thanks again to vb6rocod!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. what do u get for every click on rapidshare.com .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know what your talking about? This file was uploaded on rapidshare by vb6rocod. I simply copied the link from another forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3 questions:

1. Is there a "normal" way to update player with this firmware meaning via burned CD or something like that, or we must use these serial cable-open box-patch wires procedures mentioned in previous posts ???

2. When updated is there possibility to patch the player back to its default firmware ???

3. What's the difference between "White" and "Yellow" versions of the firmware???

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by medeni73
    3 questions:

1. Is there a "normal" way to update player with this firmware meaning via burned CD or something like that, or we must use these serial cable-open box-patch wires procedures mentioned in previous posts ???

2. When updated is there possibility to patch the player back to its default firmware ???

3. What's the difference between "White" and "Yellow" versions of the firmware???

TIA
    1. Update normal, from USB or CD
    2. Yes, you can return to original firmware.
    3. White --- white subtitles with black outline (for avi file), yellow --- yellow subtitles with black outline.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've updated firmware on my pc dvd writers but haven't patched a standalone since my old Apex DVD player and that's long ago erased from memory so need more info on how it's done.

Anyone tried this one?

If so, how exactly did you patch the player and which model do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remove any disk from unit. Turn the dvd player off and insert a usb thumb drive with file. When you turn the unit on you will be asked to update. Wait for the process to finish do not interrupt. To burn a cd you could use nero. I think philips web site gives you direction when you down load firmware.

If you have a North American version 5990/37 there's no patching needed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for great work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just update my 5990 works fine.will this work on 5982 model ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by MJA
    I just update my 5990 works fine.will this work on 5982 model ?
    5982 or 5992 ?
    5990/37 5990/37b 5992/37 5992/37b use the same firmware "DVP5990_37.bin"
    Quote Quote  
  11. 5982
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the firmware. It works very well in my DVP 5990/37.
    Bala
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by MJA
    what do u get for every click on rapidshare.com .
    Something like 1/1000th of a month's cost for Rapidshare. Nothing wrong with that. It's a way to host large files without doing the overhead. I've put things like a portable version of PandoraRip there for exactly the same reason.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by MJA
    I just update my 5990 works fine.will this work on 5982 model ?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348913.html
    Quote Quote  
  15. Other version

DVP5990K_55
    DVP5990K_55_vb6_v1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/139914483/DVP5990K_55_vb6_v1.rar.html

DVP5990K_75
    DVP5990K_75_vb6_v1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/139914671/DVP5990K_75_vb6_v1.rar.html

To see what version you have, power player, open tray and press "55"
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just flashed my 5990 and this mod works great. The splash screen is better than the stock version!

Long filenames are seen. The scroll bar on the right is wonderful. Extended characters are shown. Fantastic.

I'm still not sure how to use the "disc menu" button on data discs. Pushing it while a video file is playing displays the universal "no" symbol in the upper left. Is there a filename or other method to force the player to return to the file list?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FredThompson,

To return to the file list, hit the "Stop" button. When it displays "Press Play Key to Continue", just hit the "Stop" button again and that will take you back to the file list. There may be another way, but that's what I use.

I think the "disc menu" button is just for video DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, I'll test this firmware
    But I have some cuestions

1, what means *fix "1 sec. srt. bug"

2, Most important, This one doesn't disable HDMI support right¿?

3, it is possible in a future version to slowdown or speedup subtitles?

4, is s possible in a future version too to fast forward every 10min or so "like dvd chapters" an avi file?

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by bunglemx
    Hi there, I'll test this firmware
    But I have some cuestions

1, what means *fix "1 sec. srt. bug"

2, Most important, This one doesn't disable HDMI support right¿?

3, it is possible in a future version to slowdown or speedup subtitles?

4, is s possible in a future version too to fast forward every 10min or so "like dvd chapters" an avi file?

thanks in advance
    1. "1 sec srt bug". If you use a avi + srt (subtitle), a sub with time like 0:00:00,123 --> 0:00:00,789 will not show (cut milliseconds). That's a short explanation.
    2. I don't disable or enable any HDMI support (and I don't know how to do this).
    3. No
    4. You have "GoTo", press "Title" two times and enter "h:mms" to jump in avi file (this is a patch, not in original firmware).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any chance the HDCP requirement can be removed, my early HD TV does not complete the handshake, and i dont want to have to buy a hdfury for $150 so i can watch a $40 dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Tripper_
    If you have a North American version 5990/37 there's no patching needed.
    Please explain this comment. Are you referring to vb6rocod's new firmware posted here or to something else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You got me. Resistance is futile!

This firmware works great!

I'm in Canada but I have a bought in the USA 5990/37 so I used the v1_1 file from the first link posted above. I copied the "white" bin file by itself to a 64mb fat16 usb thumb drive. I removed any disc from the player and shut it off, inserted the usb drive, turned the unit on and pressed the "usb device" button on the remote. The player posted a message that it recognized the update file and another message that it was "updating" (it might have said upgrading but who can remember?). It felt longer but in about a minute or 2 the screen switched to a nice blue background and re-sensed the usb and asked if I wanted to update again. I shut the player and removed the usb. I turned the unit on and inserted a disc with divx avi files and wow!! How great to see such a fantastic menu background with much improved long file name browser. I tried the goto option and it works. The goto a time option was a feature of the dvp-642 and I missed it with this player. I like the new display buttons too.

Fantastic job! Easy to read clear text.

Thanks vb6rocod for making this and Tripper_ for posting it here
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THis modification is great! Thanks vb6rocod!! It must have taken a significant amount of thought, time, expertise and talent. Not to mention the good will to offer it to the public for free. Many Thanks!

I leave a WD250 drive hooked up 24/7 to the 5990. This drive is powered by the USB port. Is this good practice? The blue light on the drive stays on but I cannot figure out if the drive is spinning? Is there a way to cut the power to the USB port when the philips is powered down?

Other than manually numbering the videos on the hard drive (and modifying all the numbers every time you add a movie)the numbers every time you add a movie), does anyone have a slick way of utililzing the "go to" feature to go to a specific video?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm interested to know where you found the knowledge to change all this stuff..Just changing the background screen on a 5982, to one of my own choice, would be cool. I cant believe its done with visual basic..??
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go here to find out how to change your background.

http://board.softpedia.com/index.php?showforum=24
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 5thumbs
    I leave a WD250 drive hooked up 24/7 to the 5990. This drive is powered by the USB port. Is this good practice? The blue light on the drive stays on but I cannot figure out if the drive is spinning? Is there a way to cut the power to the USB port when the philips is powered down?
    I use a 500gig mybook drive and it automatically powers down after a brief period of non use. Maybe there's some software for your drive to get it to hibernate.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Update: Not Tested

* New "File Cutter", number of character in FileBrowser is limit now to length of "yellow" band.(More than 40 char.)
    * Move "DVD-Video" (DVD Quick Play) to "Preference Page" ,where is now "DivX Subtitles"
    * Move "DivX Subtitles" to "General Page", you can change font and color of subtitles when movie play.
    * Add a new menu for subtitles color. New menu is "Color" with option "Default" - white subtitles and "Cool" - yellow subtitles. New menu is after "DivX Subtitles".
    * Change color for "Display" "Folder/Single/Repeat" to white,now is visible.
    * "More" white color for some OSD message.

After update, apply a "Reset" and change font and color (for subtitle) to "activate" change.

DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/142530783/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2.rar.html
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    has anyone come up with a hack to disable hdcp. i too have an older dell 32 inch lcd tv which is 1080i and purchased this player (5992) bc of its price. currently 1 minute after the movie starts, it says non compliant hdcp video and turns off the screen. pretty darn annoying. im not even sure how hdcp really helps anyone since i imagine most of the copying of dvds is done on computers.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I just bricked my 5992

Had saved the file to my usb and forgot about it. I pulled it out while it was updating...

Then turned the power off.

Now it doesn't power on.

Any way to reset the thing?

Hopefully I can find the cosco receipt.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hoog23
    I think I just bricked my 5992

Had saved the file to my usb and forgot about it. I pulled it out while it was updating...

Then turned the power off.

Now it doesn't power on.

Any way to reset the thing?

Hopefully I can find the cosco receipt.
    By making a serial cable you could fix by reflashing.
    Quote Quote