VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I've got Fedora 5 dual booting with Win2k. All of my Win2k Hard Drives are fat32 except 1 ntfs drive. However, Fedora will not read ANY of them. It sees them, but when I try clicking on the drive (under storage
    in Konqueror) it gives me "Permissions Denied." I'm in root, so that's not the problem. I clicked on mount but it still says "Permissions Denied." Does anybody know how I can access my fat32 hard drives?

TIA

Roger
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay have got most of them to show up by editing fstab. However, my extended partition will still not show...any idea?

Roger
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try mounting from the command line, should offer more feedback
    example:

mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_d

run fdisk -l as root to list of partitions.

HTH
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ @3,000 Mhz (stock) | MSI K9N Ultra | Corsair Value/Kingston 6,144MB DDR 667 | 8800GT stock | 3710GB of storage | Powered by Mandriva 2009.1

Jabber: DaveQB@jabber.org.au
    2.6.29.3-desktop-1mnb
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by burnman99
    Okay I've got Fedora 5 dual booting with Win2k. All of my Win2k Hard Drives are fat32 except 1 ntfs drive.
    This is a really bad idea, but that is not the topic of the post I guess. I'd recommend converting them all to NTFS, particularly if the drives are large.

However, Fedora will not read ANY of them.
    Fedora doesn't come with NTFS drivers for various legalistic reasons. You need to download and install your self. Easy enough, go to http://www.linux-ntfs.org/
    Terje A. Bergesen
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by terjeber
    Originally Posted by burnman99
    Okay I've got Fedora 5 dual booting with Win2k. All of my Win2k Hard Drives are fat32 except 1 ntfs drive.
    This is a really bad idea, but that is not the topic of the post I guess. I'd recommend converting them all to NTFS, particularly if the drives are large.
    [/url]
    I think thats not a bad idea. I mean if he is wants to be able to write to the disk with both OS's then its the best solution besides networking (but networking copying files, even with NFS, is much slower then a local Hard disk)
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ @3,000 Mhz (stock) | MSI K9N Ultra | Corsair Value/Kingston 6,144MB DDR 667 | 8800GT stock | 3710GB of storage | Powered by Mandriva 2009.1

Jabber: DaveQB@jabber.org.au
    2.6.29.3-desktop-1mnb
    Quote Quote  
  6. First off ignore terjeber. As DaveQB points out, if you want to write information to a Windows partition from Linux you will need one Windows Partition in the FAT32 format. You will not be able to write to an NTFS partition. However you will be able to Read and Copy from an NTFS partition.

I want to call BS on the NTFS drivers not being included Fedora. Why? Because Suse includes them. Thus if there was a legal reason for not including Suse would follow suite. FYI Suse cripples DVD playback becuase of legal issues - though you can easily uncripple it

Okay have got most of them to show up by editing fstab. However, my extended partition will still not show...any idea?
    What partitions show up, NTFS or FAT32 or both types? If NTFS partitions are not showing up but FAT32 are showing up, then you may need to the NTFS drivers. If that's the case, Fedora is looking like less and less of a good Linux distro.

Your best bet would be to search the Fedora boards for help.

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by RLT69
    First off ignore terjeber. As DaveQB points out, if you want to write information to a Windows partition from Linux you will need one Windows Partition in the FAT32 format. You will not be able to write to an NTFS partition. However you will be able to Read and Copy from an NTFS partition.
    First off, ignore the ignoramouses. The information that NTFS drives can not be written under Linux is stale. Check the website I pointed you too for more up to date information. On the other hand, NTFS write support is in it's early stage thus far, so be careful. For that reason I have one, but only one, FAT32 partition on my system, I use it only as a scratch area where I can write from Linux for sharing with WindowsXP. I never use that partition for anything else.

If you work with large disks and large files (I do video editing and routinely work with files that are from 10 to 25G in size) FAT32 is a bad idea. In most other cases FAT32 is still a bad idea. For that reason I recommend you have most, or even all, of your Windows partitions as NTFS.

Originally Posted by RLT69
    I want to call BS on the NTFS drivers not being included Fedora.
    You can call BS all you want. The Fedora project have their reasons, and the stated reasons are plausible. This may be bogus and it may not. To get NTFS support for Fedora you need to do the following: Log in as root, run 'yum install kmod-ntfs' and you are done.

Bogus or not, it works. For my nVidia motherboard with a dual-core AMD, it also works far better than Suse, which will not even boot on that motherboard. Life is fun on the bleeding edge...
    Terje A. Bergesen
    Quote Quote  
  8. ... The information that NTFS drives can not be written under Linux is stale. Check the website I pointed you too for more up to date information. On the other hand, NTFS write support is in it's early stage thus far, so be careful.
    Perhaps I was incorrect in stating you cannot write to an NTFS partition from Linux. However, it is very risky because write support is not mature. In fact most distributions tell you not to do it. Even your own post says that. That's why most people suggest creating a FAT32 partition from which you can write information to from Linux. Since NTFS write support is not mature why would you suggest to someone they can use it?

I want to call BS on the NTFS drivers not being included Fedora.

You can call BS all you want. The Fedora project have their reasons, and the stated reasons are plausible. This may be bogus and it may not. To get NTFS support for Fedora you need to do the following: Log in as root, run 'yum install kmod-ntfs' and you are done.
    Reread my post. I thought that Fedora included the NTFS drivers as Suse does. I thought it might be BS to say they did not include them. I wasn't saying that Fedora was wrong not to included them.

Suse includes NTFS drivers in their distro but they disabled writing, for good reason.

Bottom line - DON'T WRITE TO NTFS PARTITION. If you want to at least test it out first to make sure you do not experience any problems
    Quote Quote