VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a Blu Ray player that can play 60P on my TV? The TVs and Blu Ray Players are not yet AVCHD 2.0 compliant to my knowledge. Any news about this? It's a pisser being able to shoot and edit and burn to AVCHD 2.0, but, not be able to play it on a TV screen
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Isn't it good enought to be "future-proofing"? 60p is good and all, and I am a strong proponent of raising the technical bar in order to increase the visceral impact of media (read my past posts...), but there are plenty of areas where quality can be visibly improved without having to resort to getting "out-of-spec" just because a feature is available.

Funny thing is, what you watch day-to-day isn't 60p and I don't hear too many people complaining.

Problem I see is creating something 60p and then possibly having difficulty in converting it to something compatible without compromising the quality beyond what it would have been had it been done in a compatible mode to begin with.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how about 1280x720p60? i shoot sporting events with 720p60 and they play fine on HDTVs. it looks good and some major networks use it to broadcast sports.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wasn't referring to 720p60. As much as you try to explain to them otherwise, most consumers will buy into the line that 1080 better (higher rez = higher quality, right?).

Yes, 60p is much better with motion, and if that is your benchmark, there are PLENTY of 720p60 devices (both cams, players & displays) that will work just fine with it. And I recommend it for that kind of material.

But the OP was referring to 1080p. Different beast, different problems (and much more of them).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    he was? i don't see 1080p mentioned anywhere. but it's probably time to start encoding everything in 4k now that there's a tv available. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeI...ntifier=S_4KTV hehe.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Good idea. You're discarding all your old tv and playback gear? Maybe you'd give us a special price to take it off your hands.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 28th Mar 2014 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    he was? i don't see 1080p mentioned anywhere.
    You are technically correct. However, after 10 years of membership and over 900 posts, I'm willing to be that he meant 1080p 60fps video. Note the specific reference to AVCHD 2.0 which supports 1080p 60 fps video.

Anyway, I don't personally know of any BluRay players at all that support this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're right, jman98. Between the 60p and the AVCHD 2.0 and the "TV+BDplayer problem" I inferred 1080p60. If it were all about 720p60, I doubt the OP would have been having any problems at all, so that was the only thing that made sense to me.

I suggest re-scanning to a better definition format when better methods/techniques are available to more faithfully capture a higher rez (usually analog) master. I don't suggest up-rezzing just for the sake of it. There ought to be a reason: compatibility, for example. 4K, just because it exists, doesn't make sense at this time. But I'm guessing your "hehe" was a hint at frivolity anyway.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the new ones will play it, some of the older players can after a firmware update, like my 3 year old Samsung BDB-C5500.

Eugene

My camera is the Panasonic HC-X900M, the 60P is edited in Power director 11 and burned to BR with PD8FIX and Roxio. PD11 has smart render, so untouched video is not rendered, and uses proxy editing.

Within this format, 1920x1080 60P, I have no problem recommending PD11. I do have a pretty good computer tough.

Eugene
    Last edited by Eugene157; 29th Apr 2013 at 19:23. Reason: More thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a new sony bluray player the other month and I can confirm it does avchd 2.0 and 60fps per the manual. The model is bdps1100. On page 30 and 31 of the manual it shows its support:

Format
    AVCHD (Ver.2.0)*2*3

The player can support frame rate up to
    60 fps.
    *3 The player plays AVCHD format files that
    are recorded on a digital video camera, etc.
    The AVCHD format disc will not play if it
    has not been correctly finalized.

I don't have any avchd 2.0 material to test it but if you provide a source I can test it if you would like.

Edit - sorry didn't see this was an older thread. But this is an fyi for those who need it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote