VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I just got a new Pc with a firwire port which I intend to use for video editing. My problem is that I cant keep my desktop near my dvcam deck andmy laptop doesnt have firewire ports. Can I use afirewire/ usb combo external drive to transfer the video onto using the laptop and then to the pc using the firewire hard drive. Sorry if this makes no sense and thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oibaf429 View Post
    Hello. I just got a new Pc with a firwire port which I intend to use for video editing. My problem is that I cant keep my desktop near my dvcam deck andmy laptop doesnt have firewire ports. Can I use afirewire/ usb combo external drive to transfer the video onto using the laptop and then to the pc using the firewire hard drive. Sorry if this makes no sense and thank you for your help.
    Several issues.

1. Best transfer for DV cam is Firewire to Firewire in the PC. You can buy a Firewire card for the PC if it doesn't have one.

2. You can't capture DV to a laptop unless it has a Firewire port. You can add a port if there is an Express Card slot. If the laptop has Firewire you are set. Just cap to the laptop drive (shut down all other apps while capturing) or to a USB drive attached to the the laptop (less stable). If the laptop has an eSATA port, an external eSATA drive would be the best option.

3. You can't connect a DV cam directly to a Firewire drive unless the drive has a computer built in like the $800 plus Focus Firestores. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=focus+firestore

4. Once you have captured the DV stream to a file, the file can be copied to the PC for editing.
    Last edited by edDV; 14th May 2012 at 04:27.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can I use afirewire/ usb combo external drive to transfer the video onto using the laptop
    no. the usb/firewire combo drive can't be used that way. it can connect to a computer only, not a DVdeck and computer simultaneously.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. so without a computer or laptop connected how do i go aboug transferring the video from the dvcam deck to the external firewire hard drive
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Get a Firestore, or Move your cam/deck. Those are the only choices (since you ruled out connecting the laptop).

...or get a different (non DV/HDV) camera.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. So I cant connect the hard drive to the dvcam through firewire and laptop through usb just so I can use vegas to import it? And then move the hard drive by my tower?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for asking the same question....i just wanted to make sure I was being clear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you. Is transferring it to a dvd burning deck and the ripping the dvd a viable option?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't control a DV transfer from the camera. A control CPU needs to supervise the transfer from a computer or you can buy a Firewire drive with built in CPU (Firestore). You should be able to buy an older PIII/P4 PC/Laptop with Firewire to get the job done.

Another possibility is get a second DV cam/deck to use at the PC for tape to file transfer. Avoid use of LP mode if you desire to play back in a different deck. Best to record only in SP mode always.

Originally Posted by oibaf429 View Post
    Thank you. Is transferring it to a dvd burning deck and the ripping the dvd a viable option?
    Yes but the quality will take a hit by encoding to MPeg2. Use the highest quality mode possible.

If you go with this option, best to use a DVD recorder with a Firewire input to avoid analog conversion.
    Last edited by edDV; 14th May 2012 at 11:31.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, unfortunately, going from DV->MPEG2/DVD is an option but a LOSSY option. Just as going ANALOG is a LOSSY option. I don't recommend either. ESPECIALLY, since you intend to edit.

Too bad, it is in the spec for BD recorders to have a DV/Firewire direct in mode that stores the DV stream unconverted on a BD disc, but this has NEVER been implemented on any consumer deck (even if you could get a BD recorder, which is rare). IMO, another example of technology changing so quickly that it leaves orphans.

Scott
    Quote Quote