VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Useing IFOEDIT 0.95 To Convert SVCD to DVD-R

Ifoedit can convert standard SVCD from it's native 480x480 resolution and 44100 audio sampleing rate without any other programs. Ifoedit apparently makes no checks for DVD compliance and will automatically correct the headers for proper aspect ratio display and will author directly from the 44100 audio stream without re-sampleing. This example is for one SVCD but multipile SVCD's could be joined into one large MPEG file,I would recommend DV Tool for the joining.

1.) Copy your SVCD .mpg to your HD.

2.) Demux into elementary .m2v and .mp2 streams. You could use Tmpeg for this.

3.) Rename the .mp2 stream to .mpa

3.) Start Ifoedit 0.95 and select DVD Author,then Author new DVD.

4.) Load the demuxed .m2v file into the video box.

5.) Load the demuxed .mpa file into the audio box.

6.) In the Output Stream Destination navigate to a VIDEO_TS directory on your HD.

7.) Click O.K. and Ifoedit will create the requiered ifo and vob files in your VIDEO_TS directory.

You can then burn to DVD-R with your favorite burning program. It will play in correct aspect ratio and the 44100 audio will play normally.
    Most DVD players support Mpeg audio and should have no problem playing 44100 audio.
    It's always best to make a test on DVD-RW to be certain your DVD player will support this xDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Great Job!!

I am gonna try this as soon as I get home.....
    I assume this will work with VCD's also???

I have been having Audio sync issues trying to upconvert the audio to 48Khz so I can copy multiple (S)VCD's onto DVDR's. Everytime I Multiplex it back after the upconvert, it is horribly out of sync.

Now I just have to find a way to add about 6 of these (S)VCD's and make them selectable. Any ideas besides joining all the MPEG's together???

thx
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, it should work with vcds also. Rip the .dat to mpg with isobuster or vcdgear. But you must join them...and it can cause sync problems...

Anyone tried to rename the vcd/svcd mpgs to VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB and so on and let ifoedit create the ifo files? Does it work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would use the VCDDVDR guide Baldrick, but I get horrendous sync issues after demux, mux, and adding using DVDMF2.

I will keep perusing and maybe find an answer

Bama
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to have ifoedit add chapters to the xDVD if there aren't any on the SVCD? If you have two movies on one disk can you skip to the second movie by using the next button?
    Quote Quote  
  6. @Wulf109, sounds interesting, but I have a few quick questions for you. One, will this method change the bitrate? I have about 10 SVCD's which I would like to put onto DVD-R's. When you say that you should copy the SVCD's Mpg file to your hard drive, being that I have my SVCD'S on Two disks, I will have two seperate Mpg files. Do I need to combine them into one? Also, I notice that you mention you can use TMPG to Demux into elementary streams, could I also use CCE? And last but definitely not Least, are you aware of the problems IFOEdit has with .m2v files and NTSC films? Any NTSC film when put into an .m2v and then authored with IFOEdit, will cause the movie to play 25% faster then it should due to some frame issues. Meaning, if an NTSC movie authored with IFOedit is 2 hours, it will look and play perfectly, but will finish at 1 and 1/2 hours. When you get a chance, please let me know the answer to these questions. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. This method is quite old...

It does work, but has flaws

1. some dvd players will not play the audio properly or not at all

2. some dvd players will only play with a small square picture in the centre of the television

these are the 2 most noticable problems, & there are others
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well....this DOES work, I have tried it.

There is ONE big problem; (other than the ones mentioned by elmolicious):

You can only load ONE mpg file into ifoedit!

(you cant pick two).

I even tried doing them one at a time (for multiple episodes) and then copying out the resulting vobs....then putting them together, and creating a new ifo....did not work.

I have also tried merging two mpgs into a bigger file, then demultiplexing, then importing a big file....I have not tried to burn this yet.

I need to make a chapter for this one...

this should not be this hard. Really.
    a physical DVD is just that, a physical disk. You should be able to make big VCD on it.

peace,

dave
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elmolicious
    This method is quite old...
    The user guides forum is not only for a new methods. Most methods are already covered in other posts but posting them here can help others to easier find them. But we shoulnd't discuss this here...
    Quote Quote  
  10. The user guides forum is not only for a new methods. Most methods are already covered in other posts but posting them here can help others to easier find them. But we shoulnd't discuss this here...
    Baldrick, I see you seem to be an advocate of this method, and I was wondering if you were aware of the problems IFOEdit has with .m2v files and NTSC? Many people that ARE aware of this issue, seem to believe it is solely a "pulldown" issue, but that is false. It has nothing to do with pulldown, and all to do with IFOEdit and a bug it has with .M2V files. I'm glad I found this out on my VERY first authored disk with IFOedit. I feel sorry for people who have used this method, and others like it, where they author their .M2V files with IFOEdit and their movies are cut 25% shorter because of the bug. I bet there are a lot of people who have used this method and others like it, and who have NTSC films, and when they go to actually watch them, they will see the problem. I don't know if this is a big deal to you, but it definitely is to me. I don't want my movie ending 25% faster then it is supposed to. Anyway, even though Maestro is a pain with Subtitles, most of the time I don't use subtitles, and most importantly, their are NO issues I have ever had with Maestro, especially my movie being cut shorter by 25%.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    defense:
    I'm aware of the ifoedit authoring problems...and that is why I say that you should only use it for testing in my ifoedit dvd authoring guide. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to make "real" dvds.

This method discussed here is mainly about a tool that can handle vcd or svcd mpgs and author them directly to xdvds with no reconverting.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've used a similiar method using more than one VOB. The trick is to use VOBedit and the "join clips" feature. The result is new VOBs that can then be authored in Ifoedit v95 using the DVD authoring feature. I use this to move multiple SVCD mpegs to DVD-R disks without creating one large mpeg. The result is no a/v sync problems..
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm aware of the ifoedit authoring problems...and that is why I say that you should only use it for testing in my ifoedit dvd authoring guide. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to make "real" dvds.

Thanks for the clarification Baldrick.
    Quote Quote  
  14. here's the link:

http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/joinclip.html

demux your svcd mpeg files using the tool of your choice. author each mpeg independently into different folders using the dvd authoring feature in ifoedit v.95. move the resulting vobs into a single folder and then join the vobs using the guide in the link above using vobedit. then use ifoedit to create new ifos. burn using the nero "dvd rom iso" not "dvd video" option ie move your newly authored vobs etc into a VIDEO_TS folder and burn it with an AUDIO_TS folder manually. leave out the bup files.

the key is to create a new title set for the vobs in vobedit. once done ifoedit can create the new ifo files.

i use nero because other burning apps reject the project as non compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  15. This guide looks like a life saver, i am having big problems with converting SVCD`s to DVD-R, i have one question
    1. how do i deal with multi disks ...... eg how do i join them ?
    Cheers
    Villa
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    villa: read nexts posts.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Wulf,

Tried your guide using VCD's and the result was pretty dismal.
    I followed it to the letter, (except of course having an M1V) and although IFOEDIT did complete the process, the resulting VOB when played in either Ifoedit or Powerdvd was horrendous. The sound was off by a lot and the mpeg was very choppy. I am not sure if this was because of the VCD vs SVCD thing...thx anyway....I am back to trying to sync A/V

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  18. @bamafamily
    what are u using to join the clips?
    DVtool or TMPG enc?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by wulf109
    Useing IFOEDIT 0.95 To Convert SVCD to DVD-R

Ifoedit can convert standard SVCD from it's native 480x480 resolution and 44100 audio sampleing rate without any other programs. Ifoedit apparently makes no checks for DVD compliance and will automatically correct the headers for proper aspect ratio display and will author directly from the 44100 audio stream without re-sampleing. This example is for one SVCD but multipile SVCD's could be joined into one large MPEG file,I would recommend DV Tool for the joining.
    for all those that are saying ifoedit can't handle 2 mpeg files.....read first post.....you need to join em first.

i would recommend TMPGenc tho not DVtool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have successfully generated a DVD using SVCDs, but my MUSTEK V56-compatible standalone DVD-Player (Winbond-firmware) was not able to handle a 44100 Hz audio-track. After conversion to 48000 Hz everything was fine. Mutiple dics first were joined with TMPGEnc. The DVD was in sync. The time indicator on the DVD-Player of a NTSCFilm DVD (indicated frame-rate 29.97 frames/sec actual frame-rate 23.976 frames/sec) was following the indicated frame-rate even though the film was displayed at the correct frame-rateof 23.976 frames/sec.

CU

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  21. thats a real good guide and it works very well but i guess i give people to much credit i guess. seems to me people can figure this stuff out on there own and don't need people posting guides on how to do stuff like that.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried this method with vcds (super trooper) and I got satisfying results. It didnt take that long to make a dvd (about an hour and a half) and I am really fasinated that ifoedit can do this. It even changed the aspect ratio and mad the vcd psuedo widescreen which is cool because the quality is better if the viewable area isnt strected to fit fullscreen.

For those that say ifoedit did not work for them maybe you should take this point into consideration - VCD ARE NOT CREATED EQUALLY. I used my terrapin to make my vcds which does the 1.0 standard as opposed to the 2.0 standard. There are so many factors to why this did not work for you (this is very common among all projects done in regards to vcdhelp.com). Maybe your vcd is really an xvcd or maybe it was encoded wrongly from the beginning but you never noticed because many software and dvd players can compensate for the incorrected encoded vcd. Maybe you don t know what you are doin
    Quote Quote  
  23. ok...I am stuck again....

I tried to use Tmpgenc to join 9 Star trek episodes and it would only get 7..(left out 2 and 4 for some odd reason. So I tried DVtool and it seemed to do the job. Now I have a 9 episode 4GB continuous mpeg file.

I went back to TMpgenc and tried to demux....It failed miserably...Would only do the first 64MB and then sped up to the end. Sure enough, all I had on the output was a 64mb m2V file.

Is there a limitation on the size of file TMPGenc can demux??
    What other program can demux?
    Assuming I get the demux done, can IFOEDIT, add Chapter points??

thx
    Mark

ps..it might be that I muxed in DVtool and tried to demux in Tmpgenc
    Quote Quote  
  24. ok...sure enough...for some reason when I muxed 8 files together using DVtool, TMPGenc would not demux them. Then I tried only 4 episodes and the same thing happened. I went back to TMPGenc and instead of dragging a group of 4 files on to the Merge window, I used the add button 1 at a time. That got my files merged fine. Then I used tmpgenc to demux them and that worked fine. Then I tried to use Ifoedit to author.

I am not sure what the problem is, but the A/V was out of sync from the beginning and the resulting video was choppy....I double checked the specs on these files and they were exactly the same.

thx for the try Wulf...not sure what the problem is on my side....possibly a combination of the NTSC and Mpeg1 files

Bama
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Anyone tried to rename the vcd/svcd mpgs to VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB and so on and let ifoedit create the ifo files? Does it work?
    I try something simular, i've used vobedit and used multiple files and it works, .... Ifoedit makes seperat chapters from them, the only downside is that it only plays one chapter and then stops, so you will have to manual switch to the next chapter.... i do not know how to change this in ifoedit... maybe somebody else ?

i used this link earlyer shown... (http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/joinclip.html THX, next)
    Quote Quote  
  26. About Audio sync problems !!!!!

I've tried something out: if you have a SVCD of, let's say 3 cd's, and you process then apart and join them like NEXT explained, it solves most of the audio sync problems... i've found out that most of sync problems are due to the fact that you join them together. I've tried several methods to join, tmpgnc, DVtool and the copy /b command. Tmpgenc produces first a vidoestream and then the audio stream, if there is a slight differance between them you will get an audio sync problem. If you use DVtool and the copy /b command tmpgenc can't demultiplex...., and we need demultiplex for ifoedit. Sop i tied the method explaind by NEXT and it works perfectly....... Now i'm going to try to put 2 or 3 svcd's on 1 dvdr, and try to assign chapters to each film so you can use the next button on you're DVDplayer to jump to the next movie. (i only have to figure out how to do that in ifoedit, maybe somehelp ??? )
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, i tried out this converting method, but didn't get much luck at all, i joined 2 svcd discs together with dvdtool, succesfully, then split audio/video, .mp2 & .m2v, renamed .mp2 to .mpa, started ifoedit as per tutorial, loaded both demultiplexed files, done it tmpgenc, selected output video_ts folder, and within 20 mins ifo had done it's job, then i opened up Prassi dvd, when i inputted the video_ts/audio_ts, the file was only 699mb, both joined svcd files are 1.65gb, have i missed out on something ?? Or more than likely i have naffed something up along the way, could n e 1 please help me further to tell me wat i have done wrong ???

Many Thanx

Max
    Quote Quote  
  28. Everytime i convert a svcd to dvd-r using the above method with tmpgenc and ifoedit everything works fine except when i play it in my standalone pioneer dv 343 dvd player.....it plays it on 2/3 of the screen....any clues to what might have went wrong.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ clonedyoda

Nothing went wrong except the fact what I also confirmed that Pioneer standalone players (or some of them) are not able to play 480x480 or 480x576 format DVDs on full screen. Some other players like my Mustek V56 compatible player (Winbond firmware), an Aiwa player and some other players are able to play this DVD full screen, while some standalone player may be are not capable to player this DVD at all.

So either reencode the video to a standard format, buy an appropriate standalone player or forget about this.

CU

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  30. I've used TmPgenc to demultiplex the SVCD mpg's and then used DVTools to merge the individual M2V and MP2 files. When authoring with Ifoedit, the resulting files are fine (i.e., video and audio are in synch). The only problem is that my standalone has problems with the 44.1K audio.
    If I use TMPgenc (Toolame as my external encoder- high quality) to convert the MP2 from 44.1 to 48K audio, the resulting files create Vob's with the audio going out of synch after about 40 minutes (probably at the join point).
    Can anyone recommend a better utility to convert the audio? SSRC perhaps?
    Quote Quote