VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I received a Sony DSC-W290 camera for Christmas. It creates video in 720P with the .mp4 extension. I have a Sony BDP-S350 Blue Ray player that is supposed to play AVCHD files. I would like to play the HD video captured on my camea on the blue ray player. From what I have gathered so far, I downloaded multiAVCHD and tried to compile an AVCHD disc, but I get errors and says it created 0 files.

Can anyone tell me what steps I am missing?

Thanks!

Here is the MediaInfo of the file the camera creates:
    General
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\My Documents\My Pictures\2010-01-02-1048-30\M4H00103.MP4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Sony PSP
    Codec ID : MSNV
    File size : 47.5 MiB
    Duration : 44s 544ms
    Overall bit rate : 8 938 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-01-02 10:44:44
    Tagged date : UTC 2010-01-02 10:45:28

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Coding Efficiency@L4
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : 20
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 8 871 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 9 000 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 14.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.321
    Stream size : 47.1 MiB (99%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Format profile : LC
    Format settings, SBR : Yes
    Format settings, PS : Yes
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 64.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Stream size : 348 KiB (1%)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try tsmuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response. I downloaded and tried tsmuxer. When I tried to add the video file, I got the following error message:
    Unsupported Format - Some tracks not recognized. This tracks was ignored. File Name: "C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\My Documents\My Pictures\2010-01-02-1048-30\M4H00103.MP4"

(You'd think since everything is Sony, they wouldn't make things so difficult.......)

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The Problem is related directly with the fact that the w290 doesn't support avchd file creation. An mp4 video can be hd without having avchd programming. Your best bet is to convert the mp4 to say a high res AVI or MPEG2. This will undoubtedly increase your file size significantly but it should play on the s350. The bluray player you have unfortunately doesn't support mp4.

For a heads up the standard file format for items that are avchd is .mt2s.

hopefully this will help. sorry i didn't see the post for some months, as i was searching for something else i came across it.

After an mt2s file is converted to mp4 it is generally changed it to an avc/h.264
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replying. I've learned to use Handbrake to convert the Sony mp4 to something to an mp4 that is recognizable by Nero, but this is a PITA. My next camera will not be a Sony.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Man, I feel your pain. I have a Canon camcorder that shoots AVCHD and I have been playing "ring around the rosie" with AVCHD for several months. I finally threw in the towel and used Handbrake to convert my AVCHD files to MPEG4 (it does a beautiful job). The quality is extremely close, and finally I can edit and author my movies. It is unfortunate, but IMHO it is just too new and complicated a compression scheme at this time. But, I will tell you, on my Canon21 with a hard drive, I can shoot unbelievable amounts of footage and never have to use memory chips. It really compresses, I must admit that. And it is amazing quality when I play it on the 1080p TV straight from my camera. So, I figure, when I get home, even if I must convert to MPEG4, it is extremely convenient to have all that on one disk.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine has a Canon T2i that takes 18M pixels pictures and HD video that I've been looking at. Nero recognized those video files without a hitch. The only thing that's holding me back on that camera is that it does not autofocus in video mode, but I haven't found one that does...
    Quote Quote