VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone out there have any knowledge about the Canon Vixia HF M41 camcorder, especially as it relates to audio. I am trying to determine if it is a candidate for an XLR to 35mm adapter so I can use XLR mics. I thought I understood, but as read my manual further I got confused. For one thing the AGC seems to be related to video brightness and not audio levels. Additionally there is AUDIO MIX function which allows the external mic to override the internal mic. THere is also a MIC LEVEL setting for both the internal and external mics.
    IN the videos I have watched on Youtube everyone said to decrease the AGC when using and external mic with an XLR to 35mm adapter, but since the Vixia HF M41 does not seem to have an AGC function specifically associated with audio I'm not too sure what to do?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The camera doesn't matter, unless it has pro audio. Consumer cameras do not.

What you should do is ditch the idea you have, and use a recorder, like the Zoom H2 or H2n. That way, you have control of the remote mic's levels, and what is going into the camera mic jack.

The way they operate together is to get your recorder all dialed in with optimum levels, then use the camera's input level as fixed with no additional filters.

The recorder can record too, or used as a slave. The H2 has a "preview" mode that let's you dial in the sound you want while listening on headphones. Just leave it in that mode and swap out the headphones to a lineout to the camera.

The secret to great sound isn't so much the mic, assuming not using Mr. Microphone, but in the positioning and settings.

AGC is a poor solution because it's unpredictable. It can cut in unexpectedly and ruin the whole recording. Learn about Limiters and Compressors as used in sound recording (Google it).
    Last edited by budwzr; 31st Dec 2011 at 09:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks budwzr.

Using this method, wouldn't there be an issue of synching the voice to the video since it doesn't look like this device plugs into the camera? Additionally it does not appear that there is any boom capabilities (if I did a video that required me to put a mic on a boom). I like the price and I like the potential for pristine sound, but how do I deal with the synching and boom issues?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The recorder is connected to the camera via mini jack. The camera will record from the recorder. The sound will be perfectly synced. To use a boom, just buy a longer cable.

The term "recorder" probably has you confused, but it's also like a standalone microphone with a mixing console built in. An XLR mic is just a raw mic and you would have to use the camera's mixer which probably is no good.

A regular mic is mono, so that puts you in the hole right away. These recorders have a mic "capsule" with 4 or 5 individual mics built in. So if you use a stereo cable, your camera will record stereo.

As a further advantage, if you choose to record directly onto the recorder, you can get 4 channel surround. But that would be recorded on the mic's SD card, the camera cannot record 4 channels.

The bottom line is that a recorder, like the Zoom, is the best of all worlds, and eliminates all the headaches. You can even get a hotshoe adapter and mount it right to your camera and use it as a shotgun mic.

Zoom even has an $85 recorder just for that purpose. It's the H1. http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...5343068&sr=8-1
    Last edited by budwzr; 31st Dec 2011 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a M41 and use a Beachtek xlr to rca with an adapter rca to 3.1 to match the camera. Manual audio settings on the camera and it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Jbixman: Thanks for the info. I took the plunge and bought a Beachtek DXA-2T for use with an XLR mic. I'll let you all know how it works out. Should be getting it sometime this week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, to each his own, but recorder technology has improved so dramatically in the last few years that it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on a "one trick pony" device like that for a consumer camcorder.

Myself, I require a lot more bang to get my buck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What hasn't been mentioned is recording multi-channel to the Zoom but also feeding mono or stereo to the camcorder gives you an A/V sync reference for post. In this case the camcorder audio is only used for sync (or backup). Audio sync is one of the most frustrating post issues.

This would assume the Zoom has adequate sound pickup. Mic placement is the issue. I'm dubious for concerts unless you have total house cooperation to locate the mic and camera at the optimal location*.

Otherwise, resort to traditional mic or house mixer technique feeding the BeachTek.

* they know where the optimal positions are. They could shoot you but more likely to eject you.
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Jan 2012 at 21:54.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    This would assume the Zoom has adequate sound pickup. Mic placement is the issue. I'm dubious for concerts unless you have total house cooperation to locate the mic and camera at the optimal location*.

Otherwise, resort to traditional mic or house mixer technique feeding the BeachTek.

* they know where the optimal positions are. They could shoot you but more likely to eject you.
    The thing about concerts is whether there is sufficient loudness to overcome any nearby commotions. That's why I carry one of those miniature bats like they have at truck stops. It tones down the idiots right away with just a quick rap on the shins.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Budwzr: My only concern with the digital recorder was the fact that one would have to sync the audio and video through video editing software. I think there will be a place for a digital recorder in my future, but I am new to this and the post production syncing is not something I want to deal with right now as I learn the more mundane aspects of this hobby.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Budwzr: I took your advice after reading this post. Any suggestions on audio level to the canon from the zoom, etc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As high as possible. But not clipping.
    Quote Quote