VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert home VHS to DVD. I'm using MPEG Video Wizard to edit movies that I have imported from a DVD that was converted in a DVD/VHS recorder player. The disk will play in our DVD player after doing the tape to DVD dubbing but I wanted to do a little more editing. I imported the files into the MPEG Wizard and spent a lot of time learing the editing steps and am happy with the program in that regard. However, I can't get the DVD to burn. I've been using Windows DVD Maker and it goes through 96.8% of the burn process and then pops it out (during finalizing stage I think) and just says there's an error and it can't burn the disk. The DVD plays fine in Windows Media Player or if I put it into Windows movie maker but I can't get the thing to burn! I don't know how to determine if it's a step I'M missing or if it's my burner. I have burned VCD's from the burner but not DVDs, this is my first attempt with DVDs. I'm going blind between reading the manual for the editing program and all the stuff I find on line trying to figure out the problem. Any assist would be appreciated. I'm not a computer wizard but can follow instructions pretty well and have been working with pictures and VCD burning for a long time.......just want to switch to video!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How big is the mpeg file you created in MVW? If it's too big, you might not have enough disc space...

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you are using Windows DVD Maker to add menus etc ?
    If so, have it output to your HDD, then burn with Imgburn.

If the file is too big, Imgburn will tell you before burning, and not waste a disc.

If Imgburn fails, I would start to look carefully at the discs you are using, or the firmware of your burner.

What blanks discs are you using ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry.....I'd been at it for 5 hours last night. Fed up........frustrated so I posted my question and went to bed! I've been working on this for two weeks.........mostly reading and I'm new to this forum. Didn't know the replies would come so fast! The current file is 3.94 GB but I've tried it with one under 2 GB with same result. I'm doing the editing in MPEG Wizard.....adding chapeters, titles, menus and then trying to burn in Windows DVD maker. I've wondered about the disks.........I've only tried one brand and, from reading, have determined that not all disks are created equal so I'm going to pick up a different brand today. I've seen verbatim (I think) as one suggested. I'm also going to try to burn a couple of the sample videos that came on the computer to see if they burn.........if they do then I guess it's something in my conversion process or something. I appreciate any input/suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have already created the DVD in Womble, I can only imagine bad things will happen if you load it into Windows DVD Maker.

Burn the output from Womble using Imgburn. Select Mode -> Build, then browse for the Video_TS folder created by Womble. Imgburn is smart enough to know that a Video_TS folder means it is burning DVD Video, and will take care of the rest for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I'll try that. Probably take a while as I'll have to download the suggested program.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.........now I'm really going to show my shortcomings......when I go to download Imgburn there are about 7 "mirrors". Do I select the one that says Imgburn which is like mirror 7?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got it.........thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying the Windows Movie Maker to see if the edited product will work better with Windows DVD Maker. I've tried to post a general "wide screen monitor" question under general newbie but after two submissions it's not showing up so I'm going to try here. If this isn't correct could it be redirected? This is my second day using this site and I'm still learning.......... Here's the question:

I can't see the bottom of some of my screens and the window won't resize. I have a 17" widescreen and I'm working in Windows Movie Maker. On the page where I'm supposed to set transition speed, the control are off the screen and I can't get the window to do the resize things with the arrows. I can't get to the controls to select apply or ok or whatever the choice is to set the choices I've made. I've pulled the window as far up to the top as it will go but can't get to them. Any ideas??

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you don't have the correct resolution set up under Windows. I'm guessing the correct resolution should be 1440 x 900.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried every available option on the list. I was hoping for a setting that simply said for wide screen but no such luck!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Computers work in resolutions. Yours will be 1440 x 900. Set that as the resolution, then maximise the program and see if it fits itself to your screen. If not, you may have to consider using something that will.

Unfortunately, while I use Vista at work, it is the business version, so no DVD maker, and the graphics are so old, I can't even run the Vista version of movie maker.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guess I'm out of luck with that one.......I'm at 1440x900 and the program is maximized. The the window for setting transitions, etc doesn't have a max/min option nor will it resize with the usual window "arrows" I can probably do it manuallly on the time line but.......what a pain!

Thanks for the relpy.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds to me like something is corrupted somehow in your video file. Take your finished edited video and demux it into separate audio and video streams. Read up on how to use Muxman (free) to create a DVD. There will be no menus but with any luck at least you'll get something you can burn and watch.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman: are you saying you think this is why the disk is not burning? If that's the case then all my files are bad because I've tried it with several different dubbed home VHS to DVDs and also with the sample videos that came with the computer. I put them into movie maker........added a couple transitions, titles, etc and tried to burn and got the same error message. I switched from MPEG Video Wizard to Windows Movie Maker thinking that if I used everything "Windows" and everything that came ON the computer they might be more compatible......no such luck. I will read about "Demuxing" as I've heard it mentioned before and can use all the help I can get!.

Thanks for the reply
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any idea why windows media player won't open a .MSWMM file? I thought for sure if it was made in windows movie maker it would play in window's media player. I received an error message that said it had the above mentioned extension and was not recognized by windows media player. I'm reading about Imagburn and trying to make that work but still also trying to figure out what step I'm missing with my current programs. Could it have anything to do with them being .VOB files? In the massive amount of reading I've done in the past 2 weeks I remember coming across something about that and that it could be a problem........but I can't remember what it was and I can't find the info back. I feel like I'm so close to the solution.........yet so far away!!

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for all the posts but I AM trying very hard to read and solve this problem. Since my last post I have learned that a .MSWMM file is only a project file and that is why it will not play in WMP. So how do I convert it to a file that is playable/recordable. There doesn't seem to be an option in WMM to save it as anything other than a project. For software that, granted, comes from with a learning curve, I feel like I've gotten into something way over my head and I get the feeling it's just one little piece that, either I'm missing or either the software is missing. 'They' make it all sound so simple!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to save the video (not the project). WMM will then give you options on how, mostly around using WMV. If you did through these options (I don't have a working version of WMM in front of me) you will find an option to export as DV AVI. This is the highest quality option if you intend to later convert to DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote