VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok folks I'm new here. And before some wisenheimer jumps on me, yes I have looked for solutions in this forum
    I am aware that I have to have the right capturing settings etc. but I'm still lost with some things.

I'm capturing from a Panasonic mini DV with a Dazzle.
    If I use the original capturing software I cannot change any settings and I will have an MPEG file with the DVD resolution off 720x480 for example.
    So far so good, but when I watch it and fullscreen it's completely pixelated of course. I tried capturing it in other resolutions (Using another capturing software) but the result is pretty bad and looks nothing like a DVD.

It's maybe just good enough to be displayed on a cell phone.

I feel like a dummy and pretty helpless.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You want to capture firewire output from the camcorder with a firewire card in the computer. That will get you an exact copy of the digital video that's on the tape. Once you have that on your computer you can do whatever you want with it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The result is 720x480 which is fine. But on any device with a high-resolution it's complete the pixelated. How do I have to convert to avoid this?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by garret2015 View Post
    The result is 720x480 which is fine. But on any device with a high-resolution it's complete the pixelated. How do I have to convert to avoid this?
    Use more bitrate. With sufficient bitrate and a good MPEG 2 encoder you should be able to get close to commercial DVD quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is what I wonder... So... Do I need to capture with that bit rate and decoder? Or do I have to convert it afterwards?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should always 'capture' at the highest quality. For you that means DV. Convert it afterwards. Capture/converting on the fly is rarely good enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    mini DV and DVD are both types of video that are up to, but not beyond, Standard Definition ("SD", also known as "D1-quality"). For NTSC, that is 720x480 (PAL = 720x576). That is as high as it (SD) goes for all practical purposes.
    Whenever you play SD on an HD screen, you get pixellation due to the ~4x upscaling required to fill out the screen. That is to be expected. You cannot improve upon that with SD-sourced footage (though you can smooth out the pixellation somewhat). Another form of "you can't get something for nothing".
    Of course, you could display it at 1:1 scaling and keep the detail, but your image would be letterboxed AND pillarboxed.

It all depends on what your expectations are: if you were expecting full HD quality, you will be disappointed.

On the capture, compression note: follow what jagabo & DB83 are telling you. DVcam -> Firewire -> PCFirewirePort -> DV capture software -> DV file. Recompress/reconvert when necessary -> DVD, AVC/MP4, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It all depends on what your expectations are: if you were expecting full HD quality, you will be disappointed.
    I am still waiting for that MakeHdFromSD() avisynth filter to solve that problem.

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    On the capture, compression note: follow what jagabo & DB83 are telling you. DVcam -> Firewire -> PCFirewirePort -> DV capture software -> DV file. Recompress/reconvert when necessary -> DVD, AVC/MP4, etc.
    Good advice. There are both PCI and PCI-e Firewire cards available to add a Firewire 400 port to a desktop
    http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Firewire-Adapter-Card/dp/B000HDKVDQ
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S53IG8/ref=psdc_284717_t3_B001JTTVT2

An ExpressCard slot is needed to add a Firewire 400 port to a laptop. Unfortunately, neither Firewire 400 ports or ExpressCard slots are included on many recent laptops.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Dec 2014 at 23:20. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by garret2015 View Post
    when I watch it and fullscreen it's completely pixelated
    Different people mean different things when they say "pixelated". You should post an example so everyone knows exactly what you're talking about. Use Mpg2Cut2 or DgIndex to extract a short representative segment of one of your MPG or VOB files and post it here.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!