VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My understanding is that VCD format is not interlaced and hence my question:

Do I need to use a deinterlace filter to convert interlaced DV AVI to VCD or will CRT display and/or DVD player correct for it?

Another question, though unrelated, is do I need to convert BFF DV to TFF, when converting to mpeg2? Is TFF NTSC standard?

Thanks much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll end up deinterlacing one way or another when you resize to VCD spec. Your best bet is to deinterlace before resizing. Use something like VirtualDub's SmartDeinterlace or AVISynth's LeakKernelDeint filters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    re: VCD deinterlacing,

Just giving it the 352x240(288) down size USUALLY does the trick itself (if you're in a hurry), but this isn't optimal.

There are a number of ways to do this. In the past, I've used TMPGEnc and applied their "Odd Field-Adaptation" Deinterlace filter to good effect.
    Lately I've been thinking that a good way to go would be to just load the clip in Virtualdub, Apply the "ViewFields" filter (which puts the fields side-by-side), and CROP out the right side (aka 2nd field). Then do a smart resize (horizontal direction only). Not sure if that would improve things (more true to original image) or not...

re: TFF/BFF,

TFF may be the most common, but there really isn't a "standard". It's a requirement for Good, Online-Tape editing, but not for DVD playback (it can take either one--I know, I've sent replicators both kinds and both have been acceptable).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    I've been thinking that a good way to go would be to just load the clip in Virtualdub, Apply the "ViewFields" filter (which puts the fields side-by-side), and CROP out the right side (aka 2nd field). Then do a smart resize (horizontal direction only). Not sure if that would improve things (more true to original image) or not...
    It would be easier to use the Deinterlace filter and select one of the Discard Field options, then resize. The end result is the same -- jaggy edges. If the material is hard telecined film you'll end up with jerky video as every 5th frame is a duplicate. I find that less annoying than a blend fields deinterlace though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I wasn't considering hard-telecined stuff, as I'd use completely different methods for those types of programs (just true interlaced material only here).

Yes, you can get some jaggies, but the horizontal resize alleviates that some, and sometimes and on some material, I don't want a 2-field blend. It can become TOO soft.

Just trying to throw out different options for users to try and see which they prefer for a given material. It always changes...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not CVD or SVCD instead of VCD?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I'll venture a guess that despite the fact that the original poster is in China, CVD and SVCD support is likely to be even worse there than it is in the west. Just because China came up with CVD it doesn't mean everybody supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for you help.

Originally Posted by jman98
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I'll venture a guess that despite the fact that the original poster is in China, CVD and SVCD support is likely to be even worse there than it is in the west. Just because China came up with CVD it doesn't mean everybody supports it.
    I am in China and my bottom end DVD player, which I purchased here, can play anything I throw at it. My reason for choosing VCD is that I send my home movies to my parents in the States (so they don't forget what their granddaughter looks like). In the past, I put 2hrs of DV on a single DVD with very nice quality, but for some reason they could not play these. I don't know if it's something about the way I encoded them or the media I used, so I've decided to try VCD, as I feel this format has better chance than the more exhotic ones, such as CVD or even SVCD. My goal is to put 1 hr of DV on a CDR, with the hope that they'll have better luck with this format.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    ...I've used TMPGEnc and applied their "Odd Field-Adaptation" Deinterlace filter to good effect...Yes, you can get some jaggies, but the horizontal resize alleviates that some, and sometimes and on some material, I don't want a 2-field blend. It can become TOO soft.
    Sounds like you prefer cutting out a field instead of blending. Is that what "Double" in TMPGEnc will do, blend fields? I should try first of course to see the results, but for now I'm feeling a bit uneasy about cutting out a whole field. Have you ever tried blending deinterlace combined with a sharpening filter?

Originally Posted by jagabo
    Your best bet is to deinterlace before resizing.
    Does anyone know how TMPGEnc apply filters? Would it automatically deinterlace and sharpen before resizing?

Also, has anyone tried other encoders such as Procoder or Nero? These are not as transperent as TMPGEnc about how they process DV. What do you think of the quality? Nero Vision makes it very easy to add chapters and menus to a VCD. I might want to switch to it if the quality is good.
    Quote Quote