VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a question about transferring a MAcrovisioned VHS tape to DVD. Can I rip it as is (a grey screen is the result) onto a DVD, THEN run THAT DVD through DVD Decrypter (or DVD Shrink, or DVD HD FabDeCrypter, or VobBlanker), or is there no picture at all on the burned DVD? The post on here that suggested that was not clear about that. If I can do that, will the then NEW rip have the unscrambled picture on it? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by goodsmartman View Post
    I have a question about transferring a MAcrovisioned VHS tape to DVD. Can I rip it as is (a grey screen is the result) onto a DVD, THEN run THAT DVD through DVD Decrypter (or DVD Shrink, or DVD HD FabDeCrypter, or VobBlanker), or is there no picture at all on the burned DVD? The post on here that suggested that was not clear about that. If I can do that, will the then NEW rip have the unscrambled picture on it? Thanks!
    "Ripping" means decrypting and copying a commercially produced DVD to your hard drive with all copy protection removed. Transferring a commercial VHS tape to DVD is not the same thing as ripping.

You can't use software to remove Macrovision from a VHS tape after capturing it with a DVD recorder. You can only use ripping software to remove Macrovision from a commercially produced DVD. As you suspected, there is no picture on the recorded DVD if Macrovision greyed out the video. You have to use hardware to remove Macrovision from VHS tapes while recording in order to transfer protected VHS tapes to DVD using a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks usually, that's what I suspected. Thank you.

M.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note if you only want to remove VHS MV no need to spend big bucks on a DVD type filter, cheap VHS filters are <$30 on the internet. That or if you have a old Beta recorder I've had luck installing them in-line(video in, video out) to remove CP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Posts moved to its own thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote