VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the original Win. XP CD. I have Googled what I need to do and I read a lot of different opinions on how to do it. I'm confident that there is someone on Video Help that can direct me to the best link or can tell me the best way to do it.

Thanks, TC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    An original Windows installation CD is all you need. It will guide you through the procedure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hech54, when my computer booted up to the Desktop I put in the Windows XP CD the blue screen came up with on the left side Collecting information, then Dynamic Update, Preparing installation, Installing Windows, Finalizing installation.Then without me putting a dot in either option a window Welcome to Windows Setup, told me to choose Installation Type and in the drop down box New Installation (Advanced), click next accept License Agreement, next enter Product Key, then next.... Should I continue it didn't ask for me to boot from Windows CD.

The reason that I told you all of this is I wanted to know if I should continue or restart computer and boot from CD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you boot from the CD you will go straight into the Installation type. If you choose New Install it will warn you that the existing one will be removed and you should get an option to format the drive too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Richard but it now telling me to back to the previous screen and the select a different unpartioned space but when I do that it want let me. It has in the screen 78160 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR) then

C: Partition1 (NTFS) 78152 MB ( 27512 MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB
    Quote Quote  
  6. It looks like I'm at the point it isn't giving me a chose, but hit F3 and
    I had to take the Windows XP CD out and my computer want give me a opition to shut down and I'm at the Bios Setup Utility screen now. Is there a way to install XP from this screen or have I really messd up my PC at this point??
    Last edited by tcory; 12th May 2013 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the help, but the computer is messed up and will not work. I did something wrong obviously. I was going to delete this post off of the board, but will have to look closer to see how. Or the Mods maybe the ones that do it.

Later
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would help if you told us what you are trying to do.

You PC specs show you to be using XP. Is this a fresh install (on another HDD) or a repair/ reinstallation or even adding XP to another OS.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just boot from the friggin CD, delete the existing partition, and install. It doesn't get much simpler.

You must have pressed a keystroke to get into BIOS setup, stop doing that.

You can't really do permanent damage, but you might want to get someone more experienced to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got this from this forum a long time ago. Says installed programs will still run. Suggest you use another computer so you can follow the procedures screen by screen. Haven't tried it though.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/operating-systems/langa-letter-xps-no-reformat-...ruct/189400897
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tcory View Post
    Thanks for the help, but the computer is messed up and will not work. I did something wrong obviously. I was going to delete this post off of the board, but will have to look closer to see how. Or the Mods maybe the ones that do it.

Later
    The mods NEVER delete individual posts unless they are commercial spam. Maybe in a very small number of cases where someone has just gone completely mental they will also do so, but your thread will live forever.

It seems to me that you could benefit from having an experienced person help you with this. It's not difficult, but you're having enough problems that I think at this point you really need in person guidance. Maybe you work for a company with an IT staff and you can get one of them to help you after hours. You should probably compensate the person helping you if they're doing it in their spare time though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Just boot from the friggin CD, delete the existing partition, and install. It doesn't get much simpler.

You must have pressed a keystroke to get into BIOS setup, stop doing that.

You can't really do permanent damage, but you might want to get someone more experienced to help you.

I freakin did Nelson and it keeps telling to go back to the previous screen to delete the existing partition , but it want let me and the previous screen looks like this :

C: Partition1 (NTFS) 78152 MB ( 27512 MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's easy and I've seen it many times: (from the MS website)
    All existing partitions and non-partitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select an existing partition, or create a new partition by selecting the non-partitioned space where you want to create a new partition. You can also press C to create a new partition using non-partitioned space.

Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition. You can press D to delete an existing partition, and then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each existing partition that you want to include in the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining non-partitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Got this from this forum a long time ago. Says installed programs will still run. Suggest you use another computer so you can follow the procedures screen by screen. Haven't tried it though.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/operating-systems/langa-letter-xps-no-reformat-...ruct/189400897
    I used this method on several PCs with Win XP SP2. Worked flawlessly. I have NOT tried it on a PC with Win XP SP3.
    Quote Quote