VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

Sorry for the basic question. I have a bunch of xvids that I made off tivo while manually recording some old video footage of mine. (fastest way I could think of getting it in the computer) I plan on being able to play them from my htpc to a lcd/plasma. I don't have the TV infront of me and don't want to have to do this twice. My initial thought was that the material should be deinterlaced due to the fact that the Plasma/Lcd are progressive. The HTPC will connect via dvi and hdmi.

Anyhow, just started thinking of this and am all confused. Any help would be a preciated.

THANKS!!!

Brad
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any help? Did I word it incorrectly?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should capture interlaced then encode as interlaced MPEG2 for DVD. Then either your DVD player or your TV will deinterlace for final display.

If you really must use Xvid or Divx for your intermediate file, use very high bitrates (or very low quantizers) to avoid degredation of the video.

Best quality would be obtained by capturing YUY2 video, losslessly compressing with HuffYUV (or lagarith if your computer is fast enough), then converting that file to MPEG2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! That is what I figured just wasn't positive. Will see what I can do about the capture just is so easy.
    Quote Quote