VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys

I wrote a very simple utility to convert subtitles from PAL to pulled-down NTSC (or in other words, to stretch them by 25/23.976). So when you convert a DVD from PAL to NTSC using 3:2 pulldown you can run the subtitles through the utility and then mux them and they will show fine.

I know that theoretically I could have used the DGPulldown method and this wouldn't have been necessary but I tried with the help of this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=312479 and the resulting DVDs would not play in either my NTSC-only combo or in the stand-alone, only in my computer (which can play PAL to start with). I guess if you make cheap NTSC-only stuff you don't care too much about exotic pulldown flags...

Anyway, I'm attaching the utility - it's too small to have its own web page.

Hope this helps,
    [/url]

suptime.zip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't work. I tried the procedure listed with PAL-DVD extracted VOBs, and it retimed them shorter (rather than longer). Adding np or pn to the end did not produce the desired retimed-longer NTSC subs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by uffish View Post
    I wrote a very simple utility to convert subtitles from PAL to pulled-down NTSC (or in other words, to stretch them by 25/23.976).]
    There are plenty of other programs that can already do that. I use SubtitleCreator for this purpose all the time.
    I know that theoretically I could have used the DGPulldown method and this wouldn't have been necessary but I tried with the help of this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=312479 and the resulting DVDs would not play in either my NTSC-only combo or in the stand-alone, only in my computer (which can play PAL to start with).
    Then you did something wrong.
    Quote Quote