VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What's the difference between this two types of DVD's.
    Regards.
    QUALITY HAS A NAME
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This old article has a very lengthy explanation as to why the author feels that +R is superior to -R.
    http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/
    You will need to read English at a nearly fluent level for this to be useful to you.

In reality consumers have not found any real practical differences between DVD-R and DVD+R and most just buy whichever is cheaper at the time of purchase. However, I do feel strongly that DVD+RW is superior to DVD-RW and that DVD+R DL is superior to DVD-R DL. -RW and -R DL discs are more expensive because they are more difficult to produce and compatibility with old DVD players is better for +RW and +R DL discs, but newer players should be fine with any +R or -R disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I buy a pack I don't even check any more. I am more concerned with the brand name I am buying for quality. I never saw any difference in them at all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do they even make DVD-R's anymore? I haven't seen any at Best Buy for a few months now. I have a set top DVD Recorder that uses the DVD-R for recording, but plays back BOTH + and - discs. I hope to heck that they still make DVD-R's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most post houses I know use mainly DVD-R for their mass duping, and if you buy them in bulk (cakebox 50's), they're quite easy to find. Always preferred -R to +R myself, but these days it seems to make NO DIFFERENCE.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Do they even make DVD-R's anymore? I haven't seen any at Best Buy for a few months now. I have a set top DVD Recorder that uses the DVD-R for recording, but plays back BOTH + and - discs. I hope to heck that they still make DVD-R's.
    If you don't buy your discs online in the USA and Canada, the odds are huge that you're buying crap. Yes, DVD-Rs are still available. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden both make them and they're easily obtainable. Sometimes they're even cheaper than DVD+R discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Uh-ha ! But there is a very significant difference I have found. There is a capacity difference between DVD-R and DVD+R. The DVD-R is a few megabyte or a few byte LARGER capacity than the DVD+R. I discovered that if you have a DVD-R filled to capacity, ie with a compressed movie, and you tried to backit up to a DVD+R, you got the message "there is insufficient space on disc..." . This is quite an important deficiency. I have therefore always stuck with DVD-R.
    Quote Quote