VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using DVD Shrink now and it is working great. But now I am looking for something that may be faster. Does DVD Clone or X-Copy or any others that will work as well as Shrink? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try dvd rebuilder and dvd remake. The best option I can offer is to try them all. Download the trial versions and judge for yourself the final output of the dvds.

Everyone will have their own opinions and differ in which transcoder is best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by rkersh409
    I am using DVD Shrink ... But now I am looking for something that may be faster.
    Nero Recode is faster.

(DVD Rebuilder is much slower, BTW)
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Shocker Milwaukee

Nero Recode is faster.
    And it's authored by the same person who wrote DVDshrink !

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder produces much higher quality at the cost of speed. Used with HCenc it costs the same as DVD Shrink.

I have used recode in the past, but frankly it doesn't offer anything better than DVD Shrink, and it costs. What speeds are you getting that makes you think Shrink is slow ?

The fastest solution is to use DL disks and a fast DL burner and do 1:1 copies. Not transcoding, so very little wait time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guns1inger

The fastest solution is to use DL disks and a fast DL burner and do 1:1 copies. Not transcoding, so very little wait time.
    at the cost of bigger money....relatively speaking, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guns1inger I am getting 1.1k to 1.5k per second on transcoding speed. A full back up is taking me 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To me that is slow, but maybe not?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    kinda depends exactly wot you are talking about.

For example;

I have stripped, copied and shrunk (but not burnt) a disv in about 30 minutes.

But I have also taken over 90 mins to do the same process.

It depends not only on the software you are using, but also your hardware and the disc you are trying to backup.

Some of the discs i have backed up are straight copies and so i dont even need to use shrink.

Some discs have a lot of extras on.....

but 2 hrs does seem a little steep, especially if you are not including the burning etc in the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rkersh409
    Guns1inger I am getting 1.1k to 1.5k per second on transcoding speed. A full back up is taking me 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To me that is slow, but maybe not?

Thanks
    If you are talking those speeds then you need to look at your computer (hardware) and not the application for a jump in better time. With my system using Shrink or Decrypter 20 minutes max for a backup to my harddrive. 7-8 minutes for a burn from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD2ONE is faster than DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  11. make sure your dvd drive hasn't been reverted to PIO mode, mine did that and it buggered the entire works, make sure its UDMA
    Quote Quote  
  12. I actually like mine doing it slow ........makes me feel like it makes a better copy
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crackur
    I actually like mine doing it slow ........makes me feel like it makes a better copy

to an extent....only too true....<G>
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well DVD Rebuilder on ReJig mode is the fastest
    My oppinions may change, but not the fact that I am right!

www.rockassoftware.pt.vu

DAudioK => https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=306886

DVD Rebuilder
    http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org
    http://www.jdobbs.com
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also make sure you're not reading on your DVD burner (if possible). Burners are typically locked to extracting at 2x. While DVD-Rom players are not limited. That could be your time-extending factor.

Here's a suggestion, rip to your hard drive with DVD Decryptor, then 'Open Files' in DVD Shrink and go from there. That way, the entire process only needs to read (slowly) from the disc only once - instead of reading from the disc twice (when 'analyzing' and then again while 'encoding'). This may speed you up a bit too...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First I back up the dvd to my hard drive using DvD decryptor usually takes about 15 minutes for a DL disk. Then I open Shrink and open file and that take about 2 minutes to preload it into shrink. Then the actual shrink and recode takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then the burn process only takes about another 15 minutes on 4X. My burner is set to UDMA in properties. I even removed the check by deep analysis while backing up. Also its getting where my backups are messing up on the last chapter of the movie. Any ideas on this as well?

Thanks for all the input. Its well needed!
    Quote Quote  
  17. personally, I use nero recode about 80% of the time. It's faster than shrink
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The last chapter problem sound like bad media. Cheap media flakes out toward the edges. You can try shrinking smaller (set a smaller target size in preferences), or buying better disks.

It generally takes me around 7 - 8 minutes to rip using DVD Decrypter, then around 1 - 1.15 to shrink depending on the amount of shrinking to be done. This is with deep analysis and AEC on (I never shrink without them). As I usually use Shrink to reauthor to movie only, often it doesn't need to do much more than restructure the disk and is done in 15 minutes or less (no shrinking required). If it is a large shrink then I set it to no compression to get a movie only version, then use DVD Rebuilder to reduce the size at the highest quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [The last chapter problem sound like bad media. Cheap media flakes out toward the edges. You can try shrinking smaller (set a smaller target size in preferences), or buying better disks.]

I am using TY from Meritline. I thought thoes where s'posed to be good media?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good media is what works for you. I have had nothing but trouble with TY, and still use Ritek with 100% success (TY is closer to 50%). Experiment and find the best for your setup.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Generaly, most ppl tends to use way to much of the media. Don't use more than 4.31Gb, then you should be in the safe area.

And stop using Shrink. Use a good tool like DVD-Rebuilder w. CCE, and DVD-Remake and you will find a result far better than a cheap transcoding.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by tubescreemer
    Generaly, most ppl tends to use way to much of the media. Don't use more than 4.31Gb, then you should be in the safe area.
    You should be able to use all of it - if you can't the quality control is crap and the media is faulty ! You wouldn't buy a car if the sales-man told you it had 5 gears but don't go higher than fourth because it slips out of gear all the time, would you ?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD2ONE is my favorite for speed and quality. A typical 8.xx GB dual layer is about 10 +/- minutes to rip (DVDDecrypter or DVDFAB Decrypter) and 15 +/- minutes using DVD2ONE for transcoding (High Selectivity mode)...only downside is you have to pay $40...I have never had any artifacts using this program. Possible downside (not for me) is that it has a rather smooth finished product.
    Quote Quote