VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

Does someone know a really easy to use programme where I can convert ripped DVDs to avi? I need a very easy to use programme. I tried it with many programms but my problem are the settings for convertion.

I once tried it with Xilisoft but the avi file was larger than the vob files.

I'm grateful for every help.

Thanks a lot in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I still use Handbrake 0.9.3, https://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.9.3-Win_GUI.exe . Newer versions has no avi option.

You just select source DVD/VIDEO_TS folder, under format choose avi, set output filename and convert. Under the Video tab can you also adjust the output target size in MB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi!
    Which percent do you make at constant quality? it this 100 %. a user guide with the settings would be great. i have no idea about that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try AutoGK, the default 75% quality is fine higher just wastes space. You can choose to keep the AC3 (DTS) audio, but converting to MP3 gives better compatibility with standalone players. Use CBR MP3, any bitrate over 160 is fine, but will eat more space. CTRL-F9 gives access to the advanced settings, there's no need to change any of the defaults. Look for guides on the download page just above the comments.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I normally use VidCoder. It's a front end for Handbrake and very easy to use. About the same directions as Handbrake.

Not sure what you mean by 'AVI'. That's a very generic term for the type of container, not the name of a format or codec.

For DVD conversions you can select MKV or MP4 with VidCoder or Handbrake.
    '
    I leave most all settings at default. I do change 'Detelecine' and 'Decomb' to 'Default in 'Video Filters'.

In 'Video', I use 'Constant Framerate' and I set 'Constant Quality' to 19.3. I also set 'AC3 Passthrough under 'Audio'.

That gives me a MKV file of about 1 - 2 GB in size with a MKV or MP4 container.

Give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks all. Will try all the possibilities.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!