VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/5456374/windows-8-1-with-bing-experiment

seems like they are willing to do anything to get people to move away from Win 7; good luck with that, considering how long people stuck with win 2k before finally moving to XP and sticking to XP before bypassing Vista and moving to Win 7, i know baring some major development i won't be moving from Win 7 for a long time.

maybe if either nvidia or intel release a card or cpu that has hardware hevc encoding and it can only be used with something newer than Win 7 and said hardware encoder was super fast and had excellent quality then maybe i would make the jump but other than that, i can't see it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure that particular site is all that reliable for information.
    I have W8 on my new laptop. I wish I didn't....But time moves on... I had W8.1 on my last laptop. Wish I didn't also. Waiting for W9 to fix a more than a few of the problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Update 1 should be out by Fall, that should improve things some more over 8.1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've always said the $39.95 Win8 price was The Very Best Feature of their product. I think the OS side is still great. The UI side sucks. Give it to us for $25-30 and Win811 or 9 will certainly have sales spikes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For what it is worth I use Windows 8 with the free add in "Classic Shell".

That gives me everything I was missing from Windows 7 and lets me have the Windows 8 improvements. It no goes to the desktop, I have a regular start button and menus. I can still go into the two right corners if I want the Windows 8 stuff. I never bother of course.

Try it out.
    http://www.classicshell.net/ or here on sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

You will like it, Plus it is free.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Not sure that particular site is all that reliable for information.
    I have W8 on my new laptop. I wish I didn't....But time moves on... I had W8.1 on my last laptop. Wish I didn't also. Waiting for W9 to fix a more than a few of the problems.
    Haha, I would think there are many dissatisfied W8/8.1 out there but it was because in key positions @ microsoftheads they
    decided not to offer a choice to opt out of metro.

The other problem and I don't know if they ever corrected it and that is some of the drivers don't work correctly in W8, don't know about W8.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can't wait for free windows what with popup ads and inapp purchases for things like adding working mouse buttons it should be a blast....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    For what it is worth I use Windows 8 with the free add in "Classic Shell".

That gives me everything I was missing from Windows 7 and lets me have the Windows 8 improvements. It no goes to the desktop, I have a regular start button and menus. I can still go into the two right corners if I want the Windows 8 stuff. I never bother of course.

Try it out.
    http://www.classicshell.net/ or here on sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

You will like it, Plus it is free.
    I'm using Classic Shell with Windows 8.1 as well. It isn't bad once a Start Menu is available. I stay mostly on the desktop, but will probably use the Start Screen more after I build my HTPC.

I'm not sure about a free version of Windows 8.1 being anything other than a rumor, but I guess it is possible. MS gave Windows 8 away free to those who tried the preview. That's how I got Windows 8. Then I got the Pro Pack plus WMC for $40, followed by a free upgrade to Windows 8.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they give me a free version of Windows 8.1, I'll find a home for it on one of my old PCs I have lying around..........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. .I am waiting for 9. My gripes with 8 and 8.1 are well chronicled. I will not go into detail. 9 cannot get here fast enough.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2 View Post
    ... 9 cannot get here fast enough.
    I agree. I won't even consider buying another windows computer until then even to install ubuntu on.

Actually, I took the plunge and installed linux even before 8 officially came out. It was being beta tested by the computer support section in the local university. And what I heard was pretty horrifying.

And of course that was before I heard about all the compatibility issues people are having. I realize that microsoft was moving away from backwards compatibility in 7 and was going to go much further in 8. I don't think that was a bad thing either. Backwards compatibility has been miicrosoft's biggest albatross for years. But most users aren't prepared to deal with this.

I still have a winfdows 7 partition left, and I do think microsoft will get it right eventually. That's how they've worked for a long time, and they can afford to do it like that.

But there was a great article on economist.com on windows 8 in which they called it Microsoft's New Coke.

For those of us oold enough to remember New Coke, that's a perfect description. Unfortunately Coke could just release the old version and call it Classic Coke. That's not going to work for microsoft so easily.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    For those of us oold enough to remember New Coke, that's a perfect description. Unfortunately Coke could just release the old version and call it Classic Coke. That's not going to work for microsoft so easily.
    i am old enough to remember the whole new coke thing and like everyone else i thought it sucked, they tried to make it more like pepsi but it just blew chunks. interestingly enough, when they did go back to the so-called "classic coke" to me it seemed like they had still changed the formula from the old coke, it just didn't taste the same and i haven't like coke since.
    Quote Quote  
  13. No doubt it will be crippled and tied to an office live account or xbox live account. So you'll pay more in the end.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The comments about "free Windows" that are heroin'd into the Windows App Store are probably the ideal for Microsoft - make everyone pay on some meter'd task level - "Get six mouse clicks for the price of 3!!"

Charge by the minute. That's what Phone Companies have done. Throttling, Time-Based Usage Fees, Per Click Fees, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer to pay once for an OS up front and use it for as long as it is viable, but some people/businesses would probably prefer having a pay-as-you-go plan available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I prefer to pay once for an OS up front and use it for as long as it is viable, but some people/businesses would probably prefer having a pay-as-you-go plan available.
    I'm like you I want to pay once and forget about it. I like to keep my subscriptions to a minimum.

However if win8.1 would have a free version somehow I'd look into. If it were able to do a full install on its own I'll snatch it up as long as there aren't too many catches.

Hopefully they wouldn't go the chromebook route and require a net connection. They dropped that from the xbox one after just a week after officially announcing the always on requirement. I don't think an always on os is very practical, even if you have home broadband and a beefy pipeline. I would like to have the option of landlocking a computer if necessary.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I don't think an always on os is very practical, even if you have home broadband and a beefy pipeline. I would like to have the option of landlocking a computer if necessary.
    Microsoft probably will not do what you are hoping for if the idea is to encourage people to install more apps and use Bing. Most of the apps I have tried (admittedly only a few free ones) require an MS account of some sort and an Internet connection.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I suspect that someone has confused the free windows 8.1 upgrade from Windows 8.

They probably morphed in their mind into free windows 8.1
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe not. microsoft has stopped charging for windows 8x on devices under $250 to compete in the tablet market so it's conceivable they'll expand on that. the timing of the start of the offer which is right around the time winXP is set to "end of life" might be an attempt to get those xp computers updated.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  20. Cómo conseguir ganar 8.1 de forma gratuita?
    Dónde descargar?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by OllieTSB View Post
    Charge by the minute. That's what Phone Companies have done. Throttling, Time-Based Usage Fees, Per Click Fees, etc.
    Yes, this has always been the holy grail of software companies. With Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. making big bucks of their software/content stores Microsoft feels it needs to keep up. MS would love to get 30 percent of everything you bought for use on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is a download version of 8.1 available that doesn't require an immediate update. I have a win8 laptop that I'd update but won't do it without a "hard copy" on my own disc.

If they don't even give legal win8 owners that option I can't see MS giving away anything free that doesn't have a catch
    Last edited by gll99; 2nd Mar 2014 at 20:06.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Is a download version of 8.1 available that doesn't require an immediate update. I have a win8 laptop that I'd update but won't do it without a "hard copy" on my own disc.

If they don't even give legal win8 owners that option I can't see MS giving away anything free that doesn't have a catch
    There is a trick that will allow someone to legally download a Windows 8.1 ISO, using a PC running Windows 8 with a retail license. Unfortunately it doesn't work if the PC is running Windows 8 with an OEM license.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is a trick that will allow someone to legally download a Windows 8.1 ISO, using a PC running Windows 8 with a retail license.
    Nice. I downloaded it in case I ever need to reinstall on the one computer that's running Win8.1. I downloaded it on a Win7 computer, I just entered my Win8 upgrade license as per the instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Free windows 8 is just as good as free AOL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MS might consider a 1 for 1 exchange. Turn in your XP disk and get a free copy of the real 8.1.
    Quote Quote  
  27. patches, updates, and fractional bug-fixed updated releases are always free from MS. are not they?
    I heard that MS is trying hard to push 8.1 as much as they can regardless of the direction on X-Y plot.

Who, here, did suggest MS that once i purchased MS product my win 3.1 COA should work through-out to 8.1 , 9.1, 10.1 and so on without any problem? In fact, it shows my love and affinity to MS that I am not going any where, why does MS fail to same amount of love and respect to their valuable customers who already paid enough, and do not wanna pay any more.
    Last edited by enim; 3rd Mar 2014 at 12:54.
    Quote Quote  
  28. My old windows 7 installation worked for about 3 years as I have stated earlier here in other Win 8 threads.
    I recently upgraded my system (New processor/motherboard/ram) so I finally had to reinstall Windows. Guess what I installed on my new Core i7 4770K? Windows 7 alright. And I already received free Windows 8 Pro key from my institution that's still laying in my email for about a year unclaimed. I have no reason to ditch a perfectly fine, 100% working operating system for some nuanced OS even if its free. Also Win 8 doesn't support Windows XP Mode and I have no need or reason to throw extra $$ to some third party to get my virtual XP system working on Win 8.

EDIT: The ONLY thing that could have persuaded me or forced me to move to Windows 8 was a new Directx version that only worked on Win 8 only, and since Windows 8 shipped without a newer DX and takes almost 80MB more VRAM booting into desktop then Win 7, from a pc gamer POV its also a huge let down.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    who, here, suggested MS that once i purchased MS product my win 3.1 COA should work through-out to 8.1 , 9.1, 10.1 and so on without any problem?
    Long ago, I was installing Windows 95 (I think it was) back when they used something like 8 digit product keys. I didn't have the product key handy so I turned my Microsoft Mouse over and entered the serial number printed there. It worked! Also, in those days they used a simple checksum on product keys. You could rearrange the digits in any order and the key would still work.
    Quote Quote  
  30. someone told me another equation,
    Who does pay MS? = Hazer Dazer Sofware Inc = RoCkS!!!
    Quote Quote