VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

This is my first thread, and I am trying to capture recorded videos from my stb, which has only hdmi out.

Stb -> HDMI cable -> hauppauge pvr1512 -> USB to lap top.

Now when I play the captured file (mp4) on the micca media player -> home theatre, and compare it with the original show from the stb to the same home theatre system, the video is perfectly same; however the sound of the captured file is not same. It is somewhat lower, missing the bass punch, and the overall presence. Or may be it is not 5.1 etc?

HDCP is no issue, as the shows appear on the laptop screen and are captured. Movies do not, as they show this coyright sign and it stops capturing (capture module app which came with hauppauge), and I do not care much about movies, I need those sentimental songs, and shows.

Appreciate your help, as I have to surrender the stb very soon, as I will leave the country, and need those shows, which have a real senitmental value to me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open a recording with MediaInfo. If you don't want to deal with the adware in the installer version of MediaInfo, there is a portable version of MediaInfo that can be downloaded directly from VideoHelp. MediaInfo's report will tell you if the recording contains AAC audio or AC3 audio.

If your HD-PVR 2's recordings do not have AC3 audio, it is because the DVR is not sending AC3 audio over HDMI for the HD-PVR 2 to capture. Most set top boxes send LPCM audio over HDMI by default, which the HD-PVR captures as two-channel AAC audio. You will need to consult the DVR's manual or contact your service provider to find out how to set up the DVR to send AC3 (or Dolby Digital) over HDMI, or if it is even possible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi quiet, thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the mediainfo software, and as you anticipated, it shows the audio as aac. The stb does not seem to have the flexibilty to change the settings. Only to choose if you want it dolby or stereo, so I chose dolby. I tried also after that change, as well as commecting an optical cable from stb to hauppage, same degraded wuality.

I also called them but no help. I am curious however, how come the sound comes to the home theatre as surround/5.1 and perfect? Could it be the hauppaupge which does not capture it as 5.1?

Really any help will be appreciated, I have to surrender the stb soon, as i will leave the country, and really need those recordings.

Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sherif73 View Post
    Hi quiet, thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the mediainfo software, and as you anticipated, it shows the audio as aac. The stb does not seem to have the flexibilty to change the settings. Only to choose if you want it dolby or stereo, so I chose dolby. I tried also after that change, as well as commecting an optical cable from stb to hauppage, same degraded wuality.

I also called them but no help. I am curious however, how come the sound comes to the home theatre as surround/5.1 and perfect? Could it be the hauppaupge which does not capture it as 5.1?

Really any help will be appreciated, I have to surrender the stb soon, as i will leave the country, and really need those recordings.

Thanks all.
    If the Hauppuage HD-PVR 2 receives 5.1 channel AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio, it will capture the AC3 stream as it is, with no re-encoding. However, it is not designed to capture LPCM audio. If the Hauppuage HD-PVR 2 receives 5.1 channel LPCM audio, it will always compress it to 2-channel AAC. (2-channel AAC is the only kind of output the audio encoder can produce.) The specifications for the HD-PVR 2 are very clear on that subject.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    So, any other brand that can help, and capture it as it is? I am sure the stb sends 5.1 to the home theatre.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sherif73 View Post
    So, any other brand that can help, and capture it as it is? I am sure the stb sends 5.1 to the home theatre.
    Sorry, but I have not seen any HDMI capture devices that claim to capture 5.1 LPCM audio as is. The specs either say audio is re-encoded to 2-channel AAC, or say nothing at all about audio output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    It sounds like you're using Showbiz to capture. I can capture 5.1 when capturing a .TS file but not .MP4
    Try switching formats. Make sure you have AC3 audio support turned on under format settings : Hauppauge H264 Encoder
    There's a check box at the bottom that disables AC3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This can be real pain in rear, Keep in mind that HD-PVR 2 can record AC3 but HDMI+AC3 can be a real pain to get working so if have Digital Optical output on your Cable Box or what ever your using to HD-PVR 2 other then that as far I know of only Console seem to work the best AC3 as you have option to choose and manual select audio output formats like AAC, Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM.
    The problem is you can not manuel set audio input EDID audio input formats so there for you would need a ViewHD VHD-H2HSAs in order to get a round the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. HDPVR 2 1512 should have an Optical audio input now.
    See attached PDF.
    I use the very first HDPVR 1212 and record Dolby 5.1
    using Component for video and Optical for Audio.
    By the way Hauppauge has now made their own Capture
    software which you can download for free from the Link below:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/
    This the best capture software.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dhnj View Post
    HDPVR 2 1512 should have an Optical audio input now.
    See attached PDF.
    I use the very first HDPVR 1212 and record Dolby 5.1
    using Component for video and Optical for Audio.
    By the way Hauppauge has now made their own Capture
    software which you can download for free from the Link below:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/
    This the best capture software.
    Yup some of newer model now come with Microphone input and they also change that A/V input adapter to round 7 pin dim to make it easy because people don't read the instructions as the first ver was self locking adapter and if you pulling on cable rip them out of the adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The stb does not have component out, only hdmi. I tried switching to .ts with no hope. Even .m2ts, also shows as 2 channles on media infor app.

Why the hell hdpvr does not take it exactly as it is coming from the stb??? From stb to home theatre it sounds great, dolby. There must be a solution for this.

Time is of essence, as I really need to surrender this damn stb soon, with all those sentimental recordings. To hell with movies, my concern is those unfrogettable 70ies and 80ies video clips.

I hope some one can help me on this. Will be really appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have my set-top-box set to pass-through audio, since cable TV in the US uses AC3/Dolby Digital for broadcasts. Dolby out from a set top box is required for AC3 capture to succeed.

I have Arcsoft Showbiz set up to use HDMI for both the video and audio, and to record in TS format.

I have a Hauppauge Colossus, but the settings used in Arcsoft Showbiz to record AC3 audio with the HD-PVR 2 should be similar.Below are my "Format" settings from Arcsoft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauppauge Colossus Encoder Settings.jpg
Views:	2492
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	30445
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I recently did a clean install of Showbiz from the PVR2 disc. It would not record AC3 like it had been doing before.. So then I installed Hauppauge Capture version 33030 - Found here: http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/.. After that I was again able to record AC3 5.1 with showbiz using the .TS format..

Make sure the 'disable hdmi support' pictured above by usually_quiet is unchecked.. (it's found under format settings/h264 encoder)
    You also have to restart your PVR2 when you reboot your PC per the instructions..
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!