VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All!

So i used to stream all of my home videos from my laptop to my PS3 using TVersity or PSMS with hardly any issues.

I have been and bought a Buffalo Linkstation 410 (dlna compatible) as i now have a PS4 i am plugging my PS3 downstairs so the rest of the family can access all of our home videos on the tv.

Obviously this means i have to convert my various video files into MP4s so they will play on the Playstation.

I have downloaded xvid4psp, handbrake and mediainfo and i have found various PS3 settings configurations on the internet.

Now WHY will some files work once converted and others wont?!

If it is okay i will post some Media Info details and any help you knowledgeable folk can offer is very very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Post some mediainfo details from converted videos that wont work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mtmo25
    Now WHY will some files work once converted and others wont?!
    Suffice it to say the ps3 isn't the most forgiving media player out there. I don't have the specs handy but suffice it to say if you are dealing with h264 video it can't have a lot of ref frames or any other fancy settings switched on.

Also if it has dts audio you'll probably have issues there too. You might be able to do dts in an avchd structure but as dts isn't officially supported in avchd, so far as I know, you might not get that to work either.

A simple test for you to try is to simply remux them from whatever container they were in into mp4. Then try that without actually reencoding the video. You may get lucky and not have to reencode ALL of them.

Just curious as to why you can't keep streaming your videos. Do you only have the one computer is that it?

------------------

Here's a suggestion you might not like as it involves a purchase (but you can buy a used one):

Get a wdtv media player or similar settop media player.

That way you have the best chance of playing MOST if not all of your videos in their original format without reencoding. I say most as not every media player supports EVERY video codec and its various configurations.

I know that means you won't get the benefit of using the ps3 the way you wanted.

But it's either that or reencoding tons of videos.

Or get another computer and keep streaming.

Those are your choices.

As I mentioned the ps3 isn't the most flexible media player. It's not as bad as some forum members on this website would like you to think it is. But it can't hold a candle to a wdtv.

Just some things to consider to make your life easier.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well Baldrick i am afraid you will have to excuse me as the MP4s are now all working?!

How bizarre. I am sorry for wasting your time. I have a feeling i may be back soon because there must be some underlying issue!!

Thanks!

Also i want the NAS drive because i am also installing SONOS throughout the house AND i would like to have my media somewhere i can access it from where ever i am. I do have multiple computers however i don't want to leave one running, if anything was to crash on it my mum isn't capable of sorting it herself.

But with a NAS drive everything can just sit on the network nicely.

I had reencoded the videos to have single track audio (AAC) level 4.1 or below video etc which i thought ticked all the boxes for ps3.

Strangely enough i got up this morning after having left a home video reencoding over night, tried it and all my MP4s are working fine now!

I have set up my spare laptop re encoding the files, there is a huge queue and they are saving directly on to the NAS so its a time consuming process but not a massive amount of user input needed

Thanks for the advice and i am sure i will end up getting stuck again or the original problem may resurface in which case i will be right back on here
    Quote Quote