VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi

i need to capture some old movies but i'd prefer to place straight on to say mini dv tape.

does anyone have any ideas as to what gear in PAL would be able to do such a thing?

ideally, i'd like a deck rather than a camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't understand.

If your old movies are on tape (e.g., VHS) and you want them on miniDV and (I assume) you have a miniDV camcorder, why not just connect the VHS outputs to the camcorder's analog inputs and record directly.

No computer needed!

If the movies are on your computer already, you will have to create a DV-format AVI file and then send it, via Firewire, to the camcorder.

If you don't have a camcorder (you mention you'd like a deck), then a Sony DSR-11 will work for you (it does PAL and NTSC). But it is a lot more expensive than a basic miniDV camcorder.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A deck will cost far more than a camcorder, probably over twice the price. Your best bet, and by far the cheapest, will be to buy a camcorder with av input. Most of the higher end Sony range will do the job and you'll have a camcorder too for when you need one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry to be so poor at atriculatuing myself but that's what i mean to do ie av input not avi!

the thing is that i cant seem to find any mini dv decks or mini dv camcorders that have an av input (not dv)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I wondered where AVIs came into it! Thanks for clarifying.

The Sony DSR-11 has AV inputs (composite, S-video and L/R audio).

In the EU, the AV input feature on camcorders used to be a problem (i.e., missing - thanks to the Eurocrats) - I don't know what current European PAL miniDV camcorders are like...
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're absolutely right. As you are talking PAL, I assume you are in Europe. I've just checked the UK Sony website and none of their current MiniDV camcorders have AV inputs. Many of their previous ones did though. It looks like your best bet is going to be to hunt out a secondhand camcorder to use to do the job. You should be able to find the full spec for them on www.camcorderinfo.com or from the manufacturers site. Personally, I would go for either a DCR-TRV50E or DCR-PC1000E.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    In the EU, the AV input feature on camcorders used to be a problem (i.e., missing - thanks to the Eurocrats)
    No, not the Eurocrats, the profit hungry importers......
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Richard_G
    No, not the Eurocrats, the profit hungry importers......
    Well, it was Brussels that imposed the 10% import tariff on AV-In capable camcorders....supposedly to protect the likes of Philips.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gov't always screws up.
    They aren't smart*.
    Unintended consequences.
    The innocent die ... or at least can't get the movie they want to watch.

* actually they are smart because every law directs funds to their survival so they can protect us again next time.
    Quote Quote