VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all , I was playing all my back up discs of DVDS I own and suddenly they will no longer play just wondered if anybody knows why please.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using cheap discs then your players can't read them anymore.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am still using the same discs as I used before it happened ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luggs54 View Post
    I am still using the same discs as I used before it happened ?
    I wish I could get paid every time somebody posted that they've been using those discs for years so they don't understand how or why they could be a problem.

First of all, the fact that you are surprised about something does not make it a question. I know that the UK school systems have failed their students as much as the American ones have, but still, that's NOT a question and you're not supposed to put a question mark on it just because you are puzzled or surprised. Technically speaking the fact that you put a question mark on it means that you don't know if those are the same discs you have used before or not. Is that really the point you want to make? Your unwelcome grammar lesson ends.

To deal with the matter at hand, your discs are probably crap and crap discs fail over time. The only consistently reliable discs in the world any more are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. That's it. Sony is sometimes very good and sometimes very bad. Everyone else uses the cheapest lowest quality manufacturers and has for years. We get posts like your all the time from people who bought crap discs like TDK or some no name store brand 3 years ago and now they can't read their discs any more. If you want your burns to last, buy Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. I don't know if Verbatim sells the Life brand in the UK, but avoid that. Everything else Verbatim makes is high quality. Life is low quality crap media to compete on price with all the other manufacturers who produce cheap bad quality media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the grammar lesson I will do my best in the future to try and put things in the best way I can. My Blu-ray back up discs work fine , it is only my DVD discs which don't see to work . I have a Samsung BD-F5100 downstairs which I use for general use and all the discs work fine on that machine , I just wondered if it was a firmware up date which has suddenly stopped the DVD discs working. I fully understand what you are saying about quality discs but in the context of longevity. It just seems strange after so many successful back ups it suddenly doesn't read them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Samsung BD-F5100 downstairs which I use for general use and all the discs work fine on that machine , I just wondered if it was a firmware up date which has suddenly stopped the DVD discs working.

If you really think the DVD discs are still good (you tried them in other machines and did quality scans on the PC to check for degradation), then your BD-E5300 could be broken. A different laser is used for DVD and Blu-ray. If the BD-E5300 will read Blu-ray, but not DVD, it could indicate the DVD laser pickup is damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for your prompt reply , I was beginning to think that was the case myself , I also have another computer which is running win 7 I tried a burn of the same film using the same software and the result was it played just to see if it was the same again I rejected the disc and reinserted it again but this time it seemed to take ages to recognise the disc . I am thinking that the DVD laser on the player is faulty .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your prompt reply , I was beginning to think that was the case myself , I also have another computer which is running win 7 I tried a burn of the same film using the same software and the result was it played just to see if it was the same again I rejected the disc and reinserted it again but this time it seemed to take ages to recognise the disc . I am thinking that the DVD laser on the player is faulty .
    I'm not thinking that at all. Based on what you said I'm thinking there is a pretty good chance your discs are cheap and they're going bad on you.

Again I wish I could get paid for every time somebody came here and said "But... but... I've been using these discs for years and they only recently stopped working so it can't be the discs..." . Believe what you want. But if you used crap discs and this time it actually is the DVD laser in your specific player, all you did was cheat fate for now. You'll run into a real problem with the discs soon enough.
    Quote Quote