VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello I was just in a hit and run accident when I went to play back the files from the dash cam, I get a CODEC Error message in VLC PLAYER: Unidentified codec: VLC could not identify the audio or video codec. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could play this file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. hmmm I don't have a special program to view the Media Info? I looked at the attritubuties the file that does not play has an attriubute of RA the ones that will play has an attriubute of AN
    Quote Quote  
  3. MediaInfo is the "special program" you need to tell you what's in the file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi nashfullboy....

you could try converting it with freemake....

i find that unless the video is corrupt, the supplied codecs with freemake read just about anything.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. There's no need to convert your video if all you need to do is watch it. Just use MediaInfo to figure out what codecs are used, get those codecs, and play the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Model of DashCam? Maybe it has video outputs?...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .....freemake has an editing/cutting feature used to trim clips...

....it will probably just play it without having to research, find or download any codecs....

with the added ability to re encode quickly if you need to send the footage to Mr.Plod....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried the Media Info program and I couldn't get it to work or figure out how to use it. I will try free make and get model of cam. Some files play, but as with life the one I need will not play. The camera normally BLINKS red indicating recording. But all the lights stopped. and it renammed a file LOCK I think that is the one with the wreck info.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the information. Its a Generic "Vehicle Black BOX DVR" Mostly in Japannesse. Says Video Format AVI 1280 * 720p
    Quote Quote  
  10. When I tried Video Free Make I got an error message. But thanks for the advice and Free Make is a great program to have in my toolbox otherwise. Does Geek Squad do this work? I am willing to pay because I need to catch the person who hit me/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nashfulboy View Post
    Thanks for the information. Its a Generic "Vehicle Black BOX DVR" Mostly in Japannesse. Says Video Format AVI 1280 * 720p
    Do you know how many models are referred to by that generic name?!!
    Model#...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by nashfulboy View Post
    I tried the Media Info program and I couldn't get it to work or figure out how to use it.
    After installing MediaInfo you just right click on your video file and select MediaInfo.

Originally Posted by nashfulboy View Post
    the one I need will not play. The camera normally BLINKS red indicating recording. But all the lights stopped. and it renammed a file LOCK I think that is the one with the wreck info.
    It's probably corrupt. You might be able to restore part of it with programs like DivFix, VirtualDub, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. When I tried to upload the File to DivFix, it says that it was not a valid video file? But it does have the .avi file extension.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Any help will be appreciated and rewarded. It's should be video of a Hit and Run.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just because a file has the extension AVI doesn't mean it's an AVI file. Anybody can put any extension they want on a file. What makes an AVI file is the way data is organized within the file. Your file is not an AVI file. It is basically empty. Every byte is 0xFF (255).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dashcams usually overwrite earlier files when the memory fills up, so if left running long enough the important file you need will be overwritten. To prevent this there's usually a G sensor in the dashcam that will "lock" the file when there's a physical bump over a set limit to prevent overwriting.
    Having said that, it looks like your file is corrupted/empty anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for looking, that hurts but makes sense, the part about the overwrite.
    Quote Quote